who will be better?

• Mikhail Sergachev

Votes: 53 25.0%
  • Charlie McAvoy

Votes: 159 75.0%

• Total voters

TheNorth86

Nov 15, 2016
This is tough. McAvoy seems like he'll be the most well rounded but Sergachev has improved a lot on defense. Went with Sergachev because I think he'll put up more goals and points.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Big fan of both going back to their draft years. Would have taken Serg then but McAvoy has leap frogged him....I'd take McAvoy. Though that can change, McAvoy looks like the real deal.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's a pretty tough one. Sergachev has been very impressive this season though and he always had that boom potential so I think that I'd take him even though McAvoy might have the higher potential.

One thing's for sure though - Sergachev's a lot more impactful than Drouin already and will only get better. What a steal of a trade that was.

Reactions: Jethlan

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
McAvoy, he's the best non-Dahlin defensive prospect in hockey.

Definitely not, there are at least 3 other players in the 2018 NHL Draft who have the offensive upside of Karlsson offensive numbers(Hughes, Boqvist and Merkley). I really like McAvoy but I think Hughes and Boqvist are ahead of him(Merkley is too weak Defensively ATM).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Definitely not, there are at least 3 other players in the 2018 NHL Draft who have the offensive upside of Karlsson offensive numbers(Hughes, Boqvist and Merkley). I really like McAvoy but I think Hughes and Boqvist are ahead of him(Merkley is too weak Defensively ATM).
That's some serious overestimation of the draft class or you use "upside" very loosely. No, those players aren't projected to be PPG defensemen.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
That's some serious overestimation of the draft class or you use "upside" very loosely. No, those players aren't projected to be PPG defensemen.

I never said all of them would. I do somewhat use upside loosely but I've never seen a draft class with such clear Offensive juggernaut type Defensemen. I except them to all be consistent 45Pt+(as a honest upside) but I would not be suprised if a two of the three had a couple 60pt seasons with the talent all three poses. Also in no way am I taking anything away from Karlsson when saying that because for a guy with his Offensive skills he's Elite Defensively(which is extremely rare to find in Elite Offensive Defenders, while he's the best Offensive defender in the league).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

There are some guys with the offensive potential to surpass McAvoy, but not the two-way potential. Boqvist & Hughes are more dynamic skaters, but they are no more skilled with the puck and they don't have McAvoy's intelligence, elegance or physical tools against the puck. I was a huge Seth Jones fan because of his combination of skill, intelligence, length & two-way ability; and McAvoy ticks all of those same boxes that made me fall for Seth well before his Norris-worthy season last year.

Granted Smith is the non-Dahlin dman in this class that I am most intrigued by other than Boqvist, over both Merkley & Hughes, but McAvoy is still a cut above everyone but Dahlin for me...as is Chabot...even though Serg, Heiskanen, Makar, Chychrun, and the rest of this year's crop (in no particular order) are all major talents

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tough comparison. I like the situation Sergachev is in more - less pressure on him (both by size of market and situation with defense corps), but if McAvoy can handle the pressure he'll likely be better for it.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wanted the CBJ to trade back from 3 that year to somehow draft Keller and McAvoy. McAvoy IMO has elite level stick work on defense and has an ability to close passing and shooting lanes better then 95% of NHL vets let alone a rookie. The only D under 23 I take ahead of him are Werenski, Jones, and Is have to check the age of Slavin but that's the only ones who come to mind which says all you need.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I knew this discussion was coming and it's really way too early

First let me sing the praises of Serg. No one was more thrilled to see this guy leaving the Montreal Canadians organization than me. He has all the makings of an elite offensive #1 defenceman. Seeing him thrive with a great team in Tampa is such a better site than with that awful red, white and blue team to the north. Doesn't seem to be an overly physical defenceman but he has that 6'3 frame to grow into which will just give him such a better all around game the older he gets. Such a skilled, slick looking player.

BUT for overall value to a team I'm going with McAvoy. He's already clocking 20+ minutes a night for his team as a rookie, and to my eyes is already clearly the 2nd best defenceman on the team after Chara. He's so well rounded between his skating, passing, stick-work and a low-key love for the big hit that there isn't any serious weakness to his game. You can throw in his stellar WJC play and tenancy for clutch play (for what that's worth) that he has me super excited for the future of our blue-line.

So from what I've seen so far McAvoy is already proving to have the ability to log big minutes and play against tough competition. Not that Serg doesn't have that same potential to do in Tampa, but he's being asked to play a much smaller role so far with the likes of Hedman, Stralman, Dotchin and even Coburn able to log more minutes than him. And that's probably just fine with Tampa, he doesn't need to be rushed into a bigger role than necessary so early into his career.

So overall both are going to be reeeaaalllly, realllllly good but throw my homer vote to McAvoy ;)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I voted McAvoy.

Admittedly I’ve seen less of him as he didn’t play major junior here, but he seems like the more rounded player at this point. He’s already playing hard minutes and playing well.

This comparison is premature but it’ll be interesting to see how it progresses, I definitely think Sergachev has a higher ceiling.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I was of the opinion that Serg was the best defenseman of the 2016 draft, but McAvoy has done a lot to lessen that gap. Haven't seen McAvoy play this year yet, but based on what I saw last year, I think it is pretty close. I'd probably take McAvoy right now, especially given that he is a righty, but I think Serg has the higher upside of the two if he were to reach it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad