Mike Tirico leaving ESPN for NBC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NBC's Golding coverage has declined. They no longer do the US Open.

But they picked up the British.

I used to dislike Tirico, but I've come around on him. NBC picked up more football too, don't forget that.

My guess for NBC is that this is ultimately Al Michaels' heir apparent.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He's a fan and Emrick isn't getting any younger, Tirico could easily be positioned as a new face of NBC Sports.

Isn't Tirico about 50 himself though? I guess that's not ancient. I always thought Hicks was going to be their face. He did start doing ND games recently. They really don't have much though because after the NBA left it got small. They had golf, ND football and NFL so they only really needed a couple of broadcasters.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
But they picked up the British.

I used to dislike Tirico, but I've come around on him. NBC picked up more football too, don't forget that.

My guess for NBC is that this is ultimately Al Michaels' heir apparent.

They did? Wonder why. Not a golf fan truly. I do know that was like the only other tournament ESPN had. Wonder why they gave it up? Who is covering the Thursday and Friday rounds now?

I didn't know they got Thursday football(I still don't know what the Thursday deal is, my honest hope was that it'd go away, I thought they just extended the amount of CBS telecasts)

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
I would say losing him on the Tuesday night B1G games with Dakich will suck but the B1G is leaving ESPN anyways.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They did? Wonder why. Not a golf fan truly. I do know that was like the only other tournament ESPN had. Wonder why they gave it up? Who is covering the Thursday and Friday rounds now?

I didn't know they got Thursday football(I still don't know what the Thursday deal is, my honest hope was that it'd go away, I thought they just extended the amount of CBS telecasts)

NBC owns the golf channel, so it didn't make sense that they didn't have a major tournament. The appeal obviously was to get it back on network television like the other three.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Dakich is Linda bad.

Why are they leaving ESPN? Big Ten network can't televise all those games!

I love Dakich haha. Likes to hear himself talk but if you don't take him seriously, he knows what he's talking about most of the time.

And reports this year we're the B1G wasn't happy with ESPN pimping college football and "the green room guys" (aka focusing on the NBA) during basketball games. They are close/have already agreed to a massive deal with Fox for games.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I love Dakich haha. Likes to hear himself talk but if you don't take him seriously, he knows what he's talking about most of the time.

And reports this year we're the B1G wasn't happy with ESPN pimping college football and "the green room guys" (aka focusing on the NBA) during basketball games. They are close/have already agreed to a massive deal with Fox for games.

Interesting. Big Ten basketball is so hard to watch though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad