Injury Report: Mike Smith's groin injury

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I hope you are correct. This just seemed very out of the blue.

To add, IMO, Treliving is the type that always looks big picture. I doubt he risk bringing Smith back if there's a risk we lose him before playoffs due to re-injury. I think he knows very well the point is to use Smith as little as possible during the regular season, and as much as possible during playoffs.

I really hope Gilles and Rittich develop and learn via this trial by fire and take the reins in showing us one of them are ready to be a solid backup and take Smith's spot when his contract is over. It's probably one of the few true opportunities they'll get for a while.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Given that his injury was always "day-to-day," it was always going to be out of the blue.

That’s not at all the indications that I’ve heard though. It’s been more that it’s quite serious, not your typical “day-to-day” injury or that Smith is close to returning. I mean if you want to take the report as literal then sure, but this time of year teams never disclose fully details of an injury.

There hasn’t really been any indication that Smith was or is close to a return, and we usually hear updates. I will say, I am pretty sure it was Gully stayed that Smith had taken a positive turn last week. But that’s all that’s come out to my knowledge. Derrick Wills has reported multiple times since Smith went down that he does not look close.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That’s not at all the indications that I’ve heard though. It’s been more that it’s quite serious, not your typical “day-to-day” injury or that Smith is close to returning. I mean if you want to take the report as literal then sure, but this time of year teams never disclose fully details of an injury.

There hasn’t really been any indication that Smith was or is close to a return, and we usually hear updates. I will say, I am pretty sure it was Gully stayed that Smith had taken a positive turn last week. But that’s all that’s come out to my knowledge. Derrick Wills has reported multiple times since Smith went down that he does not look close.

True, but what could Wills and others be looking at in those cases? Likely the fact that he wasn't practising. Well, now he is practising. So now he is close (he's not back yet).

All I'm saying is that from the start, the Flames organization and everything they said indicated that it was a weird kind of injury and they didn't really know how long he'd be out; just that they were taking it day-by-day. It took them a full week before they put him on IR, for instance, and at that time they indicated that the status hadn't changed, but given they could do it retroactively, there was no reason not to use that extra roster spot.

So if you take them at their word, the progression of the injury would be checking each day if he could return to practice. One day, that answer is bound to be "yes," and at that point you don't wait around. Or at least that's my take. :dunno:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I think it's considered "day to day" only because surgery wasn't involved. So no tear or anything, just needed rest / healing time.

Never in my life have I given so much attention to another man's groin.

yok.gif

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Does y'all think he's back sunday, or tuesday?

Rittich for tomorrow's game is a bank no?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
To add, IMO, Treliving is the type that always looks big picture. I doubt he risk bringing Smith back if there's a risk we lose him before playoffs due to re-injury. I think he knows very well the point is to use Smith as little as possible during the regular season, and as much as possible during playoffs.

We are saving for the playoff? Cool :Do_O

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Does y'all think he's back sunday, or tuesday?

Rittich for tomorrow's game is a bank no?
No one knows for sure when Smith will be back. One thing you can bank on though, is that Smith dress as a backup before he starts, the last thing you want a goalie doing when returning from a groin injury os potentially coming into a game cold

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
No one knows for sure when Smith will be back. One thing you can bank on though, is that Smith dress as a backup before he starts, the last thing you want a goalie doing when returning from a groin injury os potentially coming into a game cold
Y'all is treally friendly here at the calgary boards and I'ma bow down to that there. That there speaks to me as respect. Y'all also know very much about ice hockey. So my thang automatic too, I'ma show respect too out herre. It's really getting hot in here so the flames will step up big time when Smitho is back on that thang. Twerking that puck out like a salt shaker and there will once again be a tomorrow for the calgary flames after that one. Bank on that thang.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Y'all is treally friendly here at the calgary boards and I'ma bow down to that there. That there speaks to me as respect. Y'all also know very much about ice hockey. So my thang automatic too, I'ma show respect too out herre. It's really getting hot in here so the flames will step up big time when Smitho is back on that thang. Twerking that puck out like a salt shaker and there will once again be a tomorrow for the calgary flames after that one. Bank on that thang.

:skeptic:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We are saving for the playoff? Cool :Do_O

Not what I was trying to say. I was saying I'm guessing Treliving is trying to maximize the games Smith will play in playoffs while also trying to minimize the amount of games necessary that Smith will have to play in the regular season to bring us to playoffs so that he won't re-injure himself/be closest to 100% for playoffs. The factors are: Playoffs yes/no and Smith: Healthy/injured/below 100%

Scenario wise IMO:
- Smith jumps in now. We make/miss playoffs and lose Smith to re-injury because he came back too early and wasn't ready.

- Smith jumps in in the middle. Still too early. We may playoffs, have Smith briefly for playoffs or just before playoffs, then run the kids for the rest when Smith goes down, or we play Smith at levels far below 100%. Hindsight tells Treliving made the mistake to bring him back early.
- Smith jumps in the middle a little later. We barely hit playoffs, but we have a relatively healthy Smith for the entire playoff run. (What I think Treliving is targeting) Treliving seen as navigating that situation well or "just average" from some of ya'll.
- Smith jumps in the middle a little later. We barely miss playoffs and criticism for not playing Smith earlier runs abounds.

- Smith jumps in too late. We miss playoffs but Smith is healthy.

Playing Smith too early increases the risk you lose him again to injury or just end up with a guy who is ineffective playing through the injury. Not playing Smith increases the risk we miss playoffs. The best answer is somewhere in the middle and you have to tread that line with a specific level of accuracy. Being too aggressive and too conservative both aren't ideal, but the best mix isn't a clear cut answer either.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Playing Smith too early increases the risk you lose him again to injury or just end up with a guy who is ineffective playing through the injury. Not playing Smith increases the risk we miss playoffs. The best answer is somewhere in the middle and you have to tread that line with a specific level of accuracy. Being too aggressive and too conservative both aren't ideal, but the best mix isn't a clear cut answer either.
You can't f*** around with a goaltenders groin. Smith will sit until he is ready to play and can do so without risk of re-injuring. It's really that simple. If we miss the playoffs because of that, so be it, that is what happens to bubble teams that lose their starter down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->