Confirmed with Link: Mike Rogers Retiring from Fan 960

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Such sad news. :( Confirmed by the Fan on Facebook and Twitter alike...

Yes, after 20 years with ‪#‎Flames‬ radio, colour man Mike Rogers has decided to retire. Please join us in thanking our good friend for his dedication, total professionalism and passion for broadcasting over these many years. Mike is one of the best hockey players ever to come out of Calgary; he played in the WHA and with the NHL's New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers and Edmonton Oilers, even passing the 100 point mark three times in his NHL career. Mike is making the change in order to spend more time with his family and pursue business interests. The search for a new Flames colour commentator is underway!

Peter Maher and Mike Rogers were a huge part of getting me into the Flames at the start of my fandomness (?) so this is sad to see. But very happy for Mr. Rogers (can we call him that? rofl) and best of luck!

Some of you who don't live in Calgary may not know who he is but he's been a fixture alongside Peter Maher for every Flames radio broadcast the last 20 years.

Discuss.

Aug 3, 2010
As a Flames fan, it's definitely a blow to the community but I wish him all the best in his future endeavours and health.

Now it feels like the clock is ticking down on Maher's time...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I was wondering where the last thread went but I think I can understand what happened.

As I said before, a huge blow. Mike was a true class act and we'll miss him. Some huge shoes to be filled.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
As a Flames fan, it's definitely a blow to the community but I wish him all the best in his future endeavours and health.

Now it feels like the clock is ticking down on Maher's time...

That's gonna be devastating when it happens. :cry:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In a perfect world, Maher would do the play by play and Kerr would provide the commentary - for both radio and TV.
TV would destroy Maher's reputation. All the mistakes he makes will be magnified and there is getting to be more all the time.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
TV would destroy Maher's reputation. All the mistakes he makes will be magnified and there is getting to be more all the time.
I agree. I have purposely delayed the game with PVR, and ran the radio feed through my speakers since Kerr took over and it totally shows the old mans mistakes and fumbles.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing lombardious (spelling?) take over for Rogers. I believe homers are always the way to go on a teams broadcast team. But he does annoy me a bit to.

Regardless, thank god Mikka is retiring. I couldn't handle another season of listening to orgasmic gestures to his stellar saves.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I agree. I have purposely delayed the game with PVR, and ran the radio feed through my speakers since Kerr took over and it totally shows the old mans mistakes and fumbles.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing lombardious (spelling?) take over for Rogers. I believe homers are always the way to go on a teams broadcast team. But he does annoy me a bit to.

Regardless, thank god Mikka is retiring. I couldn't handle another season of listening to orgasmic gestures to his stellar saves.

If Loubo took over I would stop listening. I was so stoked when he got fired off the TV broadcast. Why they hell would the radio broadcast take a step back. I think Brent Krahn would make a great commentator. He would make a great pairing with Maher and may even take over for him when Pete is ready to retire. I can honestly say I would be devastated when Pete retires tho. I do enjoy Maher in the Morning of the fan960.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Really sad. I loved listening to him when I had SiriusXM and when I lived in Calgary.

Aug 3, 2010
I remember back in high school during my homework I couldn't watch the game, but I was allowed to listen to games on the radio. They always did a fantastic job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad