Mike Richards vs Jeff Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
The only reason I bring it up is because it was close to unanimous on the Jeff Carter side when the question was posed a scant few months ago. Richards, obviously, has seen more offensive success this young NHL season.

Who would you rather have?

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
Mallard said:
The only reason I bring it up is because it was close to unanimous on the Jeff Carter side when the question was posed a scant few months ago. Richards, obviously, has seen more offensive success this young NHL season.

Both. And I do. :yo:

Seriously, though... for offense, Carter. For leadership, Richards. Just cause Richards is better now doesn't mean he will be forever. So I guess the answer is: it depends.

Brad*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Is Carter still with the Flyers right now? If he was playing against the Habs, I didn't notices him...

He only played three minutes. With the Flyers' top three lines basically set, he's not getting much ice time. I could realistically see him being sent down in the near future.

Liquidrage*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Is Carter still with the Flyers right now? If he was playing against the Habs, I didn't notices him...

It looks like his body and mind is still suffering from the mono he had over the summer.

With the total lack of even strength time, Carter isn't seeing the ice. Richards gets 17+ minutes in that game, Carter gets like 3.

Carter hasn't looked good. There's excuses for it, but one day the mono excuse has to end.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Carter hasn't been healthy and as a reault hasn't gotten ice time. He got a shot early in the season on the top line but couldn't handle it yet and they replaced him with Knuble rather quickly.

Carter should get sent down so he can find his game and get some ice time, and Umberger should get a shot (he had a better preseason anyways)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, I've always said I'd take Richards over just about anybody, including Carter. But even I certainly didn't expect him to produce or play as well as he has so far, so soon. I'll stick to my guns, I'd probably take Richards over any young forward not named Crosby. (I still have to doubt if he'll outscore Carter over the long haul, but who knows).

Big Kov

Sep 16, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Well, I've always said I'd take Richards over just about anybody, including Carter. But even I certainly didn't expect him to produce or play as well as he has so far, so soon. I'll stick to my guns, I'd probably take Richards over any young forward not named Crosby. (I still have to doubt if he'll outscore Carter over the long haul, but who knows).

richards over ovechkin.....interesting to say the least.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
as a flyers fan, richards has far exceeded my expectaions from a rookie so far. he can play in any situation, is very aggressive, and has shown great puck poise. he had 2 points last night, and he was all over the ice. carter has seemed like hes lacked intensity, and may be struggling with confidence. he almost looked overwhelmed in the first couple of games. right now, richards is head and shoulders above carter, no question. i know many experts think carter will eventually be a more dominating offensive player, but from what i've seen of richards this season and last, richards has shown way more offensive upside then expected, and could definitely develope into a 1st line center.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
orangeandblack said:
carter has seemed like hes lacked intensity, and may be struggling with confidence.

2:54 minutes of ice time a game will do that to ya.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I was one of the ones touting Richards far above Carter.

Carter was always the most overrated prospect coming into this season.

No matter what the excuse, he just never put up the numbers in junior that would suggest that he'd ever be a frontline scorer in the NHL.

He's one of those guys that scored the same after he was drafted as he did before.

If you're looking for a good offensive prospect coming into the NHL, you better make sure they improved their offense significantly from draft day on.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Big Kov said:
richards over ovechkin.....interesting to say the least.
Mind you, that's just on familiarity and personal favouritism. I've seen Ovechkin twice this year, and he's clearly awesome and bound for HoF superstardom and all that. He will outscore Richards handily every year, and he's actually a guy who can match Richards in the hustle department (albeit in a slicker snazzier way). But I've been following Richards for 4 or 5 years now, "stole" him in my FHL and have been nurturing him on my farm team for a couple of years, etc. So yeah, I'd take him over Ovechkin. Knowing full well I'm not getting the more talented or productive player. Talent isn't everything, though. It's like saying I'd take Koivu over Kovalchuk. I would. But I wouldn't recommend it to any seriously objective fans.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
zeke said:

No matter what the excuse, he just never put up the numbers in junior that would suggest that he'd ever be a frontline scorer in the NHL.

He's one of those guys that scored the same after he was drafted as he did before.

If you're looking for a good offensive prospect coming into the NHL, you better make sure they improved their offense significantly from draft day on.
You're so far off on him it's sad, but time will prove you wrong. Jeff Carter has been exceptional at the biggest stages he's played on and I'll take that over junior numbers (on a bad team) any day. He was great in the WJC, even better in the AHL playoffs, and he's going to be a very good NHL'er.

We all should know by now that Jeff had mono all summer and didn't even step onto the ice until training camp. His weight is still down as his energy. Add to that, at this point he only feels comftorable at center and he's on the team with the best centers in the NHL. It's been a rough adjustment period so far, but there are a lot of big time players, especially guys with great size (Thornton's development comes to mind), who just don't get out of the gates that quickly.

I certainly invision Jeff having a Ruutu like 2nd half of the season and silencing all the critics who have suddenly come out of the wood work due to his start.

All that being said, it's impossible not to be impressed by Mike Richards. We all knew he played the great defensive game, that he was chippy, and that he'd do anything to win, but his vision was so underrated (only by some). He's the 2nd best playmaker on the Flyers right now and that says a ton with guys like Gagne and Handzus. His scoring mentality is a lot like that of Ryan Smyth's (he'll do anything to score) and he has a solid array of shots (see his shot on Belfour). Not only will Mike Richards be a captain, but he'll also be a great hockey player. I still think Jeff Carter will out score him in the future though.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
zeke said:

:shakehead Hmm,let's see...He led ALL scorers in the WJHCs(in case you don't know,and apparently you don't,that's THE best juniors in the world),then,AFTER his OHL year was over,he joined the Phantoms and led ALL scorers in the AHL playoffs.If that isn't improving,what is?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Phlyerphan said:
:shakehead Hmm,let's see...He led ALL scorers in the WJHCs(in case you don't know,and apparently you don't,that's THE best juniors in the world),then,AFTER his OHL year was over,he joined the Phantoms and led ALL scorers in the AHL playoffs.If that isn't improving,what is?

Every single guy on this list (outside of Stafford at this point) I would take on my team before Carter. Not a knock on Jeffy-boy...just funny that you make it sound like he dominated all the WJC's -when in fact it was Bergeron that did just that.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:
Every single guy on this list (outside of Stafford at this point) I would take on my team before Carter. Not a knock on Jeffy-boy...just funny that you make it sound like he dominated all the WJC's -when in fact it was Bergeron that did just that.
Well I'd take Carter over Stafford, Bergeron, Olesz, and Getzlaf. Carter is starting to get healthy and his ice-time is going to go up, we'll see what he can do. Something tells me he's going to be pretty successful.

mooseOAK*

Phlyerphan said:
Carter was also the oldest player in the World Juniors.

AHL statistics have never been a direct foreshadowing of future NHL performance, Carter was playing with a couple of veterans which undoubtedly made things easier for him.

Roger's Pancreas*

mooseOAK said:

AHL statistics have never been a direct foreshadowing of future NHL performance, Carter was playing with a couple of veterans which undoubtedly made things easier for him.

Patrick Sharp and Ryan Ready? You're kidding right.

mooseOAK*

Panasonic Youth said:
Patrick Sharp and Ryan Ready? You're kidding right.
Sharp had over 200 games of pro experience and Ready about 400, so no.

greatwhite101*

Colt.45Orr said:

Thats a pretty good list you have there. Ovechking Crosby 1st over all, Malkin 2nd.
Come on guys relax. It's been 11 games and this young prospect scored 2 goals and 1 asst not a big production playing under 5 minutes in most of the games. Also, his linemates are Brashear and Sim. I do not think Crosby would have that many points 14 playing with these "playmakers" not comparing Crosby vs Carter but just making a point.
Carter is in situation where he has to out play guys like Forsberg Handzus Richards and Big Keith to get more ice time. If his production will not increase after 10-20 games then you can start screaming all over this page that Clarke and Carter both suck. :)
Primue went down with concussion so I think Crater will get more ice time and better linemates. Even if he doesn't play well his first NHL year it's ok.

greatwhite101*

mooseOAK said:

Wow Carter was older then his teammates by few month with exception of Crosby. Yes he is probably overrated... Statistics doesn't say that Carter was playing against Malkin line in WJC and did very well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mallard said:

Both ideally

However Jeff Carter .. More offensive upside

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
With Primms out for who knows how long, Carters minutes and role on the FLyers is about to go up. He played real well vs the Sens and I think his numbers will get better with more ice time and better linemates. I have Richards in my keeper fantasy pool and I never thought I would be starting him in certain weeks so soon, Richards and Handzuz have some real good chemistry.
But to answer the question, Richards is much more suited to succeed early in their careers, but Carter will have the better career offensive numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad