Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Mate and Juulsen are already part of the core ?? really ?? one of the guy recently recalled because of injuries is already part of the Habs core ??

damn!

Subban had only played 2 regular season games and was called up for the playoffs in 2009-10 and he had a huge impact. Your post is unfair to Juulsen who has been great since his callup. He is making some mistakes but he is also showing a lot of good stuff, playing much better than a huge number of guys who suited up on the blueline for us this year...

We already knew about his potential, so given how he has played so far, it's reasonable to think he could become a top-4 guy for us next season.

In my book, he is above Mete on the depth chart.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It's not that I think Reilly isn't better than a 5th round pick- it's that I don't understand why you pay for a guy like Reilly just to clog up your system even more and block guys like Lernout from coming up. He's easily replacable in UFA anyways, so why give up an asset unnecessarily?

Reilly is.already better than i think lernout will ever be.

I think reilly is a third pair.guy who can help.bring offence. Hes.a puck mover and we don't have enough.of those.

Hes basically playing the same role Beaulieu played.

I kinda like him... and so far i love the deal

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

I think reilly is a third pair.guy who can help.bring offence. Hes.a puck mover and we don't have enough.of those.

Well we all know Beaulieu is and was garbage, so that doesn't take a whole lot

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Reilly and Lernout are totally different kinds of players. The main thing they have in common is that they both don't seem fully comfortable yet. Hopefully they can get comforable. They're both a little jittery with the puck.

Lernout seems to be a positional player who can body players off the puck. The key with him will be his foot speed and his first pass. Body a guy off the puck and move it forward to the dmen. He has shown signs that he might be a good skater and good at making that first pass. The book is still open. He will never be a slick stick handler.

Reilly is a slick stickhandler with good mobility. But he sometimes bobbles the puck. Is this because he's not comfortable or because that's just his limitations? The book is still out.

I am now intreagued by both these guys. They both need to play a lot. Reilly has more than bottom pairing ceiling imo, Lernout only has bottom pairing potential. But as a big guy, if he can skate fast, play good positional hockey, and make a good first pass, that's a very useful bottom pairing dman.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Well we all know Beaulieu is and was garbage, so that doesn't take a whole lot

imo Reilly has the potential to tighten up his game. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll be able to. It still seems sometimes as if he's making it up as he goes along, as opposed to being someone who plays like he's made the same play a million times. Juulsen is more like that.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
imo Reilly has the potential to tighten up his game. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll be able to. It still seems sometimes as if he's making it up as he goes along, as opposed to being someone who plays like he's made the same play a million times. Juulsen is more like that.
Yeah he does, he atleast has some sort of brain unlike Beaulieu, but we hardly have any room on the backend as is. So I'm fine with this deal as long as a few plugs are shipped out.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Reilly and Lernout are totally different kinds of players. The main thing they have in common is that they both don't seem fully comfortable yet. Hopefully they can get comforable. They're both a little jittery with the puck.

Lernout seems to be a positional player who can body players off the puck. The key with him will be his foot speed and his first pass. Body a guy off the puck and move it forward to the dmen. He has shown signs that he might be a good skater and good at making that first pass. The book is still open. He will never be a slick stick handler.

Reilly is a slick stickhandler with good mobility. But he sometimes bobbles the puck. Is this because he's not comfortable or because that's just his limitations? The book is still out.

I am now intreagued by both these guys. They both need to play a lot. Reilly has more than bottom pairing ceiling imo, Lernout only has bottom pairing potential. But as a big guy, if he can skate fast, play good positional hockey, and make a good first pass, that's a very useful bottom pairing dman.

One is a lefty and one is a righty too.

You are higher on lernout than i am. I think hes a pressbox guy/career ahler at best. I dont see him ever having a regular place.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
One is a lefty and one is a righty too.

You are higher on lernout than i am. I think hes a pressbox guy/career ahler at best. I dont see him ever having a regular place.

There's a higher probability he turns out as you say here than anything else. But I have a glimmer of hope. These next 11 games are huge for him. Hopefully he can get comfortable. He may never get another opportunity like it.

AcadiaAxeMan

Mar 10, 2002
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit site
Reilly is an upgrade on Beaulieu IMHO (and I liked Beaulieu’s “potential”). I see Reilly being with us next year with Weber, Alzner, Petry, Mete, Juulsen, Lernout, Valiev.

NOT the thread, but I would clean house of Price, Weber, Pacioretty and their contracts!

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Can someone give me his analysis of Mike Reilly during the last few games? I heard he was paired up with Petry on the first line. How does he do so far? This player is very intriguing and could possibly get a spot if Juulsen isn't ready to step up.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Can someone give me his analysis of Mike Reilly during the last few games? I heard he was paired up with Petry on the first line. How does he do so far? This player is very intriguing and could possibly get a spot if Juulsen isn't ready to step up.

Great skater, not a very good defender. He tries at least. Has mid pairing potential if everything clicks, I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Until then he's not very good but he fits a need.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Great skater, not a very good defender. He tries at least. Has mid pairing potential if everything clicks, I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Until then he's not very good but he fits a need.
He’s alright defensively but he’s a great puck mover and is not a bad asset to have on a 2nd PP. He could develop into a 25-30 point 5th D that can thread the needle.

I find him better than Alzner/Benn/Schlemko defensively, which is something I guess.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He’s alright defensively but he’s a great puck mover and is not a bad asset to have on a 2nd PP. He could develop into a 25-30 point 5th D that can thread the needle.

I find him better than Alzner/Benn/Schlemko defensively, which is something I guess.

I hope he can develop his defensive and positioning game. I'm still keeping the book open on that. With playing time, confidence, and good coaching I hope he can do it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Maybe someone can tell that dope on Sportnet it's Mike Reilly, not Reilly Smith playing for the team. Could he call him by the wrong name more often?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Had 8 pts in 19 games. Had some good moments and some bad moments, but looked better than Benn and Schlemko.

Will he be paired with Juulsen in our bottom pairing next season?

Jul 6, 2016
Reilly as a bottom six or 7th d-man could be OK... I don't expect much more from him.

Hopefully, Benn and Schlemko gonna be traded for picks. We are stucked with Alzner... Wow I am even missing Emelin and Jerabek...... or Pateryn

Maybe Habs could sign them all as UFA next July !!!!!

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Really hoping our new defence coach can bring out the best in Reilly. You can tell when watching the guy that he still has some untapped potential. It's still not too late for him. At worst, we have a competent 3rd pairing, puck-moving defenseman.

Alzner, Benn, and Schlemko were all beyond disappointing this season, but I don't see all three of them having equally disappointing seasons next year as well (specifically Alzner). If one or two of those vets can rebound, Weber comes back healthy, and Reilly, Juulsen and Mete continue to develop, then we are already better next year without making a move.

That said... we still need a 1LD and none of these players seem like they can fill that spot next year, so a move would be nice, thank you!

Reactions: Laurentide

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Reilly as a bottom six or 7th d-man could be OK... I don't expect much more from him.

Hopefully, Benn and Schlemko gonna be traded for picks. We are stucked with Alzner... Wow I am even missing Emelin and Jerabek...... or Pateryn

Maybe Habs could sign them all as UFA next July !!!!!

Not to nitpick, but I think Benn and Schlemko were simply overvalued by the management, both were 6-7th D before coming to Habs, and suddenly they should be able to play top 4 here, just doesn't click. (even if Bergevin thinks we haven't seen the 'real Schlemko' :laugh:) Really hope someone will bite on Benn, but doubt it with Schlemko, his 2.1M$ contract is just too big for his 700K$ depth play...

As for Alzner, really thought he'd be a perfect fit for Petry, not saying he won't be able to be next season, but we need puck moving Ds before a Josh Gorges clone...

Edit: Message was for @JohnLennon but since we still cannot delete our friggin messages, it gives something like that... :help:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Not to nitpick, but I think Benn and Schlemko were simply overvalued by the management, both were 6-7th D before coming to Habs, and suddenly they should be able to play top 4 here, just doesn't click. (even if Bergevin thinks we haven't seen the 'real Schlemko' :laugh:) Really hope someone will bite on Benn, but doubt it with Schlemko, his 2.1M$ contract is just too big for his 700K$ depth play...

As for Alzner, really thought he'd be a perfect fit for Petry, not saying he won't be able to be next season, but we need puck moving Ds before a Josh Gorges clone...

Edit: Message was for @JohnLennon but since we still cannot delete our friggin messages, it gives something like that... :help:
Yeah, maybe they're simply worse than Bergevin thought they'd be. The pro scouting has not been its best. To be fair to Benn, I think he was always thought of as a depth defenseman and played that role well when we originally got him, but took a step back from how he had looked. As for Schlemko, he had shown good things in the past, and didn't show much of that with us this year, so that is the context in which I'm saying he's been disappointing.

Alzner I'm holding out hope was not as bad as he was this year. I mean, something has to give, right?!

I agree though, we definitely need more puck movers. That's why I'm really hoping for the best with Mike Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->