News Article: Mike Peluso; When the game is over, the enforcer’s suffering has only just begun

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's never easy to read about the post career struggles guys in sports have after going through after a number of concussions, but it's sad to see that he's had to deal with a lot of stuff and is exactly why a guy like Clowe has to realize and take his future into extremely serious consideration even despite it being unlikely he'll play again.

The rewards did not last long. The altercations were brutal on our bodies, and I suffered at least 10 concussions from fighting. Probably many more. After some fights, I went to the wrong penalty box, only to be treated by doctors or trainers who asked me to name the President of the United States, provided a few aspirin, and sent me right back into the game.

In December, 1994, I suffered a major concussion thanks to a bare-knuckled fist to the head. I was knocked unconscious as my head slammed against the ice, and carried off the rink. In the locker room I took multiple showers, because I kept forgetting that I had already showered. However, the team quickly cleared me to play despite signs of a serious concussion. A few weeks later, I experienced a grand mal seizure during a workout.

As I convulsed, my teammates restrained me from hurting myself any further, but the damage to my brain had already been done. Incredibly, it was a team orthopedic surgeon who treated me after my seizure. I sat out for just two weeks before the team doctors again pushed me back onto the ice. I was never seen by a neurologist.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/when-the-game-is-over-the-enforcers-suffering-has-only-just-begun/article24120626/

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It's never easy to read about the post career struggles guys in sports have after going through after a number of concussions, but it's sad to see that he's had to deal with a lot of stuff and is exactly why a guy like Clowe has to realize and take his future into extremely serious consideration even despite it being unlikely he'll play again.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/when-the-game-is-over-the-enforcers-suffering-has-only-just-begun/article24120626/

It's a very traject situation. Fighting should be stopped period with a 10 day an automatic suspension. Deliberate head injuries the same. The NHL should settle using the NFL settlement as a guideline.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Brave article to write and painful one to read. Concussions and other head trauma definitely should not be taken lightly by anyone (players, medical staff, coaches, management, and even fans) involved with pro sports, especially contact sports, but too often they are. Hopefully the NHL can continue to improve the safety regulations regarding concussions and make sure that teams follow them. I wish all the best to Peluso and all athletes suffering from the effects of concussions and other head trauma, of course.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It was good to see Mike having fun at the 1995 reunion game.
Always a good guy and fan favorite who contributed more than just fighting during his Devils tenure.

I wish him the best.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Fights Per Game have been dropping and I no doubt that it will continue to fall. This season is nearly 50% less than 08-09 and only 26.91% games had an NHL fight. In 2008-09 it was 41.38% of games. The league isn't going to need to ban fighting because the players are going to put an end to it themselves. At the current rate in 5-7 years there will be a fight every 5 games.

Season|Fights Per Game
14-15|0.32
13-14|0.38
12-13|0.48
11-12|0.44
10-11|0.52
09-10|0.58
08-09|0.60

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Honestly the biggest thing the NHL should be doing is going after the head shots. I believe they had a report done some time ago that should showed checks caused concussion far more than fighting (makes sense since there is ~30 hits per game vs .32 fights).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad