Signing(s): Mike Moustakas back to Royals

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wow, that's gotta hurt. Boras can't be pleased about this. Rarely if ever see him come out on the losing side of things. I don't love moose as a player but yeah he deserved more than that.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Gambled and lost. Will get another chance in about 10 months time.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Unexpected but will take it. Moose has his flaws but he’s a good player who is loved in this city and it’s a dirt cheap deal.

If you squint hard enough, you can almost see the Royals not being dreadful this season. To be certain, they won’t likely be good but if Duffy stays healthy the rotation might be half decent and the late off season shopping at free agency’s TJ Maxx has resulted in some good cheap buys.

The real debate is whether a 75-80 win season is the right thing for this club to be doing at this juncture. It’s easy enough to say from an analytical standpoint that it’s stupid but this was a franchise that spent a generation in the wilderness and now has a new group of fans who want and need reasons to show up and tune in - and trust me when I say signing Moose, even if only for a year, suddenly has the casual fans here excited. It’s hard to sell “trust the process” when the last process took 30 years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought he'd get at least a 1 year deal comparable to his QO, he did have his best season.

Gotta suck seeing your two buddies get huge contracts and you get relative peanuts.

His best option is to stay healthy and get traded mid season so theres no compensation attached to him next winter.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't get why the market cratered for Moustakas the way it did. He's 'only' 30, sure he wasn't going to get the 5-110 he and Bora$ were fantasizing about but he really couldn't get more than Zach Cozart, who's not even a 3B by trade? This makes Mous look foolish turning down the QO and the Royals look cheap giving him a $10 million cut off the QO.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yup, I think we all do.

I'm surprised that he couldn't even get a guaranteed multi-year deal.

Accepting 2 or 3 year deal is somewhat silly if you are Moustakas. He's looking for his big payday. 1 year deal and try your luck again next year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

This is where I'd start to wonder about collusion tbh. A guy coming off a career season still in his prime and he basically has to beg the Royals to fill out a blank check for his salary a la Andre Dawson and other guys in the collusion era. Unless Moustakas and Bora$ made it known they weren't fielding offers of less than 4-5 years and $100 million, something crazy like that that scared teams from even making on the cheap offers.

Reactions: Voight

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
collusion is a really strong word to just toss around like boras has been.

the issue with moustakas was three-fold:

- he's 29 and feasibly has two years left in his prime. 2017 was a career year for homeruns for moustakas and just about every hitter like him. he has a .305 obp in over 3,300 pa in his career and is fine at best defensively.

- he was not only looking for a team to open the coffers for multiple years at tens of millions of dollars but he had draft-pick compensation tied to him where the team signing him not only got to sign a 29 year old to a big contract but would get to give up their first pick in the draft as well as the money tied to it.

- who needed help at third and was actually spending money?

baltimore: have machado and beckham.
boston: devers
yanks: went with a cheaper option
tampa: sold longoria and are retooling
toronto: donaldson

cleveland: ramirez
chicago: not spending
detroit: lol
royals: well...
twins: sano

angels: got a great deal on cosart
a's: lol
astros: bregman
mariners: seager
rangers: beltre

braves: not spending
marl-i won't even finish that
mets: got a fantastic deal on frasier
phillies: weren't spending
nationals: rendon

cubs: some guy
cardinals: internal options
brewers: shaw
pirates: lol
reds: internal options/not spending

giants: had a need but went with longoria, said they weren't spending on anyone with dpc
dodgers: turner
padres: signed a different overrated royal
rockies: some guy
dbags: lamb

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I definitely wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years we have evidence of collusion this winter, but so far I definitely feel like this is a result of the players getting their ass kicked last CBA and a few other factors.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
While Moustakas was projected to get a much better contract, but after last season 0f 1.8bWAR/2.2fWAR there was really a case for him to accept the Royals' QO, which would have set him for life anyway and was quite close to the AAV of some optimistic projections. Almost every big-spending team was set at 3B for 2018. His case, together with Lynn's and probably Cobb's, might very well lead to future FAs considering a QO more positively.

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->