Line Combos: Mike Kostka

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Komisarek is in the AHL because he is less likely to sustain a career ending injury, ala Pronger, playing there! :nod:

He can be bought out this summer if he doesn't get injured. :yo:

Komisarek is a much better option than Kostka, but, Leafs don't want him getting injured. That has to be the story, doesn't it? ;)

Well not only do the Leafs prefer Kostka over Komisarek, but 29 other teams passed on claiming Komisarek on waivers for free. Not so sure the same would be said for Kostka had he been placed on waivers.

So while Kostka is really on a depth NHLer at best to be used as a #6/7 dmen on most teams he is still considered among the Leafs best options available.

Its too bad Holzer was not able to hold that spot as I would prefer him over Kostka personally both now and for the future.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Hamiton should also be Bannished to the ahl

He just can't keep up to the speed of the NHL game, he's a half a step behind in every facet of the game. Great guy but he's an ahl'er, and quite honest there are too many of those in the Leafs lineup.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
He just can't keep up to the speed of the NHL game, he's a half a step behind in every facet of the game. Great guy but he's an ahl'er, and quite honest there are too many of those in the Leafs lineup.

Wow, many leaf fans are just looking for players to bash on. :shakehead

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Gardiner is not a banger and should never be. He is smart enough and skilled enough to become become a top 4 D. He has played 82 games, 7G 27 A and is a -2. I'm sure his TOI is over 21 min/game. So to say he is terrible defensively is not correct. Also, I would guess when he is on the ice the puck isn't in the D zone as much as a lot of our other D.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

I agree, Ryan Hamilton suffers from many of the same problems that Mike Kostka does. They simply do not think the game at the NHL speed, and do not have the foot-speed, hands or shot to make up for their considerable IQ deficiency. I can honestly say that every time I saw Hamilton play for the Marlies, he looked like a completely different player than NHL Hamilton. He hasn't brought anything to the table to differentiate himself from even our worst forwards in Frazer McLaren & Colton Orr.

Mike Kostka.. Is just mediocrity defined. I hear people say that "Kostka is not bad defensively" or he "doesn't make too many mistakes" but therein lies the problem. 75% of the time he is completely unnoticeable, often a positive attribute for a good defensive defenseman. However, the other 25% of the time he is completely behind the play, killing offensive opportunities and making questionable moves in the defensive zone that lead directly to goals against.

We have better options. If we're going to be enduring a rookies defensive deficiencies we may as well be reaping the rewards of his offensive contributions and continued development. Why are we investing so much time into a 27-year old rookie upcoming-UFA? Why don't we focus our attention on the dynamic smooth skating 22-year old sophomore defenseman? Jake Gardiner had a tremendous rookie season earning a spot on the NHL All-Rookie Team and was third in TOI/G overall on the 11/12 squad. The treatment to Gardiner has been disgusting -- it might even be worse than the oft-mentioned Ron Wilson-Nazem Kadri fued. Gardiner is an established NHL player who made a significant positive impact just last season. Kadri hadn't proven anything at the NHL level prior to his mistreatment.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I agree, Ryan Hamilton suffers from many of the same problems that Mike Kostka does. They simply do not think the game at the NHL speed, and do not have the foot-speed, hands or shot to make up for their considerable IQ deficiency. I can honestly say that every time I saw Hamilton play for the Marlies, he looked like a completely different player than NHL Hamilton. He hasn't brought anything to the table to differentiate himself from even our worst forwards in Frazer McLaren & Colton Orr.

Mike Kostka.. Is just mediocrity defined. I hear people say that "Kostka is not bad defensively" or he "doesn't make too many mistakes" but therein lies the problem. 75% of the time he is completely unnoticeable, often a positive attribute for a good defensive defenseman. However, the other 25% of the time he is completely behind the play, killing offensive opportunities and making questionable moves in the defensive zone that lead directly to goals against.

We have better options. If we're going to be enduring a rookies defensive deficiencies we may as well be reaping the rewards of his offensive contributions and continued development. Why are we investing so much time into a 27-year old rookie upcoming-UFA? Why don't we focus our attention on the dynamic smooth skating 22-year old sophomore defenseman? Jake Gardiner had a tremendous rookie season earning a spot on the NHL All-Rookie Team and was third in TOI/G overall on the 11/12 squad. The treatment to Gardiner has been disgusting -- it might even be worse than the oft-mentioned Ron Wilson-Nazem Kadri fued. Gardiner is an established NHL player who made a significant positive impact just last season. Kadri hadn't proven anything at the NHL level prior to his mistreatment.

They think it was tough love that turned around Kadri of course it was opportunity and now their trying it with Gardiner. We shall see what happens.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Didn't understand why he was playing to begin with.

Still don't understand why he's playing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Apparently, Ryan O'Bryne is the 7th d-man! :shakehead

He did not get into Toronto until late afternoon and likely the reason why he was not in the lineup.

I would also put Gardiner in for Gunnar as he has looked horrible as well lately.

Gardiner needs to know that he can make mistakes with out fearing being in the press box. We really do not have a D partner for him as he needs a big tough to play against partner....like O'Bryne! Put them both in the line up and pair them together!

D pairings

Dion -Fraser
Gardiner - OBryne
Franson -Liles

Solves two problems.....physical presence on all pairings and a puck moving D man in each pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad