Mike Hoffman VS Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Who is the better player ?

• Mike Hoffman

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

• Too close to call

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Hoffman clearly has more offensive contributions, but does RNH defensive ability make up for the difference? Does RNH's history of injuries make him worth less? Does Hoffman's line-mates add to his totals?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hoffman clearly has more offensive contributions, but does RNH defensive ability make up for the difference? Does RNH's history of injuries make him worth less? Does Hoffman's line-mates add to his totals?

Not sure how a guy who starts more in the Ozone relative to team yet has worse suppression and goals against metrics than his peers is considered better defensively. Hoffman is actually underrated defensively.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is on pace for a for a 57 point season, with 30 goals (PPG = 0.69, GPG = 0.37). While Mike Hoffman is on pace for 60 point season, with 26 goals (PPG = 0.73, GPG = 0.31). So in terms of offense, I would say it would be a tie.

Then you factor in that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is 4 years younger and plays a more important position. And I would say that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins defensive game is better than Hoffman's. So I would take Hopkins.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Just because he thinks he's a grinder, doesn't mean he can't think his reputation as a defensive center is inaccurate. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

Way to 'zing' him with that link though?
If he thinks Hopkins is grinder, should we really take his opinion seriously?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
rnh having some sort of defensive acumen is just a rumour that people believe for whatever reason since he was drafted.

This seems to be the new thing people pull out when a player isn’t living up to the hype or is losing a comparison or something

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I believe Hoffman is the better offensive player however I don’t believe the gap is large enough to make up the value difference of a C vs W.

Given the choice I would select RNH for my Leafs going forward.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I believe Hoffman is the better offensive player however I don’t believe the gap is large enough to make up the value difference of a C vs W.

Given the choice I would select RNH for my Leafs going forward.

Centers are not inherently better two-way players just because they're centers.

They have to actually be better.

Reactions: GoodProPer60

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Centers are not inherently better two-way players just because they're centers.

They have to actually be better.

I agree however it is easier to be defensively responsible as a winger than as a C.

I am of the belief that it is easier to find competent wingers than Centers either already in the league or in the draft. I also viewed from a Leafs perspective when I said I would take RNH. Leafs are deeper on the wing at the NHL level and prospect level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad