Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's a huge positive when he plays like he did tonight, and he's absolutely a problem when he plays like he has for the first half of the season.

Maybe he's unhappy and this is his coming out party this season or something, definitely hope so because Duchene/Ryan/Hoffman was dynamite!.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
We have wrong players for Boucher system. Change players or coach. Majority of us wants to see more offencive system, where Hoffman like players can shine. So coach need to go.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We have wrong players for Boucher system. Change players or coach. Majority of us wants to see more offencive system, where Hoffman like players can shine. So coach need to go.

Who are the wrong players?

Also, when the coach starts listening to what the fans want him to do, it won't be long before he's sitting with the fans.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I like watching Hoffman play. He's fast, slick, can glue the puck to his stick, and has an awesome one-timer. Guys like him don't grow on trees.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who are the wrong players?

Also, when the coach starts listening to what the fans want him to do, it won't be long before he's sitting with the fans.
When coaches start listening to what fans want him to do, it's likely because what had been doing wasn't working and he's already lost the room. If he ends up sitting with the fans it's likely because of what happenen long before he got desperate and started trying new things.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When coaches start listening to what fans want him to do, it's likely because what had been doing wasn't working and he's already lost the room. If he ends up sitting with the fans it's likely because of what happenen long before he got desperate and started trying new things.

The point I'm making is that now, after a win, some "fans" just assume the players went rouge and deviated from the Coachs' system.

So all the blame for the losses, and no credit for the wins.

From my point of view, last night, I did not see the players doing anything different than they've been doing all season. Creating turnovers in the Neutral zone and quickly going on offense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The point I'm making is that now, after a win, some "fans" just assume the players went rouge and deviated from the Coachs' system.

So all the blame for the losses, and no credit for the wins.

From my point of view, last night, I did not see the players doing anything different than they've been doing all season. Creating turnovers in the Neutral zone and quickly going on offense.
They pressured a lot more on the oz and barely ever sat back into a 1-3-1 in the third. The kept the pressure on rather than retreat into a defensive posture. They weren't turning pucks over in the NZ based on the stepup but rather because of pressurw from the F2 or F3. D pinched to hold the zone more than usual. We played Chabot a lot and played him with Karlsson. We started an offensive trio in OT rather than Boucher's typical defensively responsible grouping.

I disagree with those suggesting the players went rogue. But Boucher made clear adjustments, many of which were the types Fans have been calling for, and those adjustments paid off.

Most of what we did in the third you can find examples of in previous games under Boucher but what was unique in my view was how lung it was sustained for.

The third wasn't just a case of players flipping a switch and executing the system, Boucher adapted to the situation to push far more for offense than is typical. Credit were it's die means acknowledging both the players execution and the adaptations the coach made. It was refreshing becaush Boucher typically is too patient and waits until its too late to push for more offense. He also usually takes the foot off the gas which we weren't as guilty of last night.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
A constant with this team since Paddock was the coach was they can attack and playback offence well, but they don’t have the patience/guts/desire to play D.

Does this team look good on the attach, YES. Do they look good defending, NO. So the coach has the very difficult job of turning soft players like Ryan and Hoffman into D zone players, which they have no desire to do.

That has been our track record since the Cup finals. We don’t defend with the intensity of a playoff team, and that’s why we aren’t a consistent playoff team.

No wonder we’ve been drafting D minded forwards with top picks - Bowers, Lazar, White, Noessen with high picks because we don’t have the personal up front to defend.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So, listen to Hoffman’s post game comments. “This was probably the most fun period this team has played all season.”

This says a lot. Sounds like Guy caved to the pressure and adjusted to save his job.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A constant with this team since Paddock was the coach was they can attack and playback offence well, but they don’t have the patience/guts/desire to play D.

Does this team look good on the attach, YES. Do they look good defending, NO. So the coach has the very difficult job of turning soft players like Ryan and Hoffman into D zone players, which they have no desire to do.

That has been our track record since the Cup finals. We don’t defend with the intensity of a playoff team, and that’s why we aren’t a consistent playoff team.

No wonder we’ve been drafting D minded forwards with top picks - Bowers, Lazar, White, Noessen with high picks because we don’t have the personal up front to defend.
You’re last paragraph is tough. Because it’s backwards thinking.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So, listen to Hoffman’s post game comments. “This was probably the most fun period this team has played all season.”

This says a lot. Sounds like Guy caved to the pressure and adjusted to save his job.
I wonder what he will do tonight

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Can’t afford to trade the limited fast & skilled players we have. Hoffman is very valuable to the Sens.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'll say this, I have been much happier with his play the last few games. Could be a solid example of the best moves being the ones you don't make, and lighting a fire under a players butt but listening to trade offers.

Either way, it's a nice stretch by the player and team, and it makes me feel good about him again.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Run and gun (not saying that's what we did last night) looks nice but giving up a lot of goals won't get you anywhere as some suggest here. Even the leafs are trying to play a more boring and defensive orientated game

There needs to be a balance. Counter attacking is something Boucher preaches and we did that last night

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Seems to have found some chemistry with Duchene recently. Hoffman should never be on a line with Pageau and Pyatt again.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Never should have in the first place to be honest. Hoff needs either Duchene or Brass as his centre.
Which is extremely frustrating, considering how long people had been questioning putting our best goalscorer, who isn't good defensively, on a shutdown line.

It flies in the face of reason, but for some reason was a continued practice.

Junior coaches would be taken aside for for doing that repeatedly, let alone an NHL coach.

It's the same as putting a pure shutdown guy who sucks at offense on the 1st line.

Let offensive players be offensive. Hoffman should never, ever, be used on a shutdown line.

A. He would essentially make the shutdown line less of a shutdown line
B. He needs to produce, why stick him with non-offensive guys

Reactions: JungleBeat

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Never should have in the first place to be honest. Hoff needs either Duchene or Brass as his centre.

I mean it worked well last year, he had the most points of all our forwards. However it clearly should've been stopped much sooner than it was this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad