Mike Green's Potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
It seems that the two knocks against him were: He was a bit shorter than the top two guys (Barker & Thelen) and he played on a really bad team last year.

Well, he's still an inch or two shorter than Barker & Thelen (is an inch or two really that big of a deal?), but the team has improved, and his numbers seem impressive.

If the Blades had been playing like this last year, where do you think he would have gone in the draft? And what is his potential, both point & pairing wise (Top 2, Top 4)?

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
i've been wondering the same thing about mike green... i check his stats and he's got a ton of assists but not many goals.... does he just get his shot on net while others bang it in? will he cut it in the NHL as a top 4 dman? i know the caps picked up a bunch of guys from this past draft in the early rounds (lepisto, green, schultz) maybe in case some guys didnt progress into a top end blueliner.... any got more info on Green?

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
I've seen him a few times this year and I think Green is a fairly safe bet to be a top 4 defenseman. He does have the potential to be a #2 guy though.
I've been impressed with Green's defensive play this season. He has been even or better in plus/minus every game this season so far. As for his points, teams tend to be watching him on the PP, which is where he has scored a lot of his goals in the past. He doesn't tend to get shots off all that often.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I had this on another thread...

Originally Posted by bruins4777
The one guy i think who is really an "underdog" and underrated, ESPECIALLY by hockey's future is Mike Green. Why is everybody so down on him? He played on a crappy team and was incredible. I thought he would be a high pick, i think he'll be great. His poise is great and i think he'll be a future allstar.

Mike Green is a beast. He's solid at both ends of the ice. Probably the best open ice hitter in the WHL. He doesn't have the usual WHL defensemen's frame (6-4, 220), but he's tough as nails, great positionally and very strong lower body. I would be shocked if he didn't make the WJC. I've said it before Washington stole him at 29. He'll be a top 4 minute muncher when he hits Washington.

John

May 25, 2004
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:

That's pretty impressive. I've seen a couple of Dion's big hits. If Green can match that or better that's a side of his game I didn't know about.

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
Battleship said:
That's pretty impressive. I've seen a couple of Dion's big hits. If Green can match that or better that's a side of his game I didn't know about.

I wouldn't say he's a better open ice hitter than Phaneuf. He is close to it though. He picks his spots and picks them nicely, as he rarely puts himself out of position to go for a hit. Probably his biggest plus is how calm he is on the ice.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Cush said:
It seems that the two knocks against him were: He was a bit shorter than the top two guys (Barker & Thelen) and he played on a really bad team last year.

Well, he's still an inch or two shorter than Barker & Thelen (is an inch or two really that big of a deal?), but the team has improved, and his numbers seem impressive.

If the Blades had been playing like this last year, where do you think he would have gone in the draft? And what is his potential, both point & pairing wise (Top 2, Top 4)?

18-23....never seen him play live and then again have only seen 2 clips of him...sort of reminds me of Jackman....less good defensively but better offensively....good top 4 defensemen....possible top pairing....He has drive and the scouting reports on him sound very good and very promising, seems to have good character.

Didnt he lay someone out in the top prospects game last year? I think he can bring more to the table then a 6.5C...Id say more like 7B. 7.5C.....IMO

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Lefty said:
I wouldn't say he's a better open ice hitter than Phaneuf. He is close to it though. He picks his spots and picks them nicely, as he rarely puts himself out of position to go for a hit. Probably his biggest plus is how calm he is on the ice.

I've seen Red Line and McKeen's both mention his open-ice hitting, something the Caps don't have a lot of.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Senor Rational said:
18-23....never seen him play live and then again have only seen 2 clips of him...sort of reminds me of Jackman....less good defensively but better offensively....good top 4 defensemen....possible top pairing....He has drive and the scouting reports on him sound very good and very promising, seems to have good character.

Didnt he lay someone out in the top prospects game last year? I think he can bring more to the table then a 6.5C...Id say more like 7B. 7.5C.....IMO

Before the draft, many thought Green would be the 3rd-4th defenseman taken, a probable top 15 pick. 6.5C is blatantly low IMO. I like your ranking, you read my mind.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Lefty said:

I think one of the best things about this board is hearing from people that get a chance to see lots a junior hockey.....which I assume you are one.....and get their take on things

Thanks

bruins4777*

LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
I had this on another thread...

Originally Posted by bruins4777
The one guy i think who is really an "underdog" and underrated, ESPECIALLY by hockey's future is Mike Green. Why is everybody so down on him? He played on a crappy team and was incredible. I thought he would be a high pick, i think he'll be great. His poise is great and i think he'll be a future allstar.

Mike Green is a beast. He's solid at both ends of the ice. Probably the best open ice hitter in the WHL. He doesn't have the usual WHL defensemen's frame (6-4, 220), but he's tough as nails, great positionally and very strong lower body. I would be shocked if he didn't make the WJC. I've said it before Washington stole him at 29. He'll be a top 4 minute muncher when he hits Washington.

:handclap: Yay you quoted me. :)

Personally i'm happy that other people are seeing that this guy is a beast as well. I've only seen him a few times, but everytime his hitting is dead on and i love his offense. I'm always a fan of players who are on crappy teams and show tremendous poise and play well. A big reason bouwmeester has been my favorite defensemen since he was 16.

I always think player who play great on poor teams are usually the best, just a personal theory. Cause they have to go through that heart ache, show their true poise, and then move on and beat out players with more talent around them and get better numbers and just better play. Just my personal opinion.

Anyways, green is an all-star at his max to me. I think size is overrated. Its important, but if you still know how to use what you got then it doesn't matter as much.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
bruins4777 said:
Anyways, green is an all-star at his max to me. I think size is overrated. Its important, but if you still know how to use what you got then it doesn't matter as much.

I think he will be alot like Jackman, except better in the offensive zone but not the same type of poise in the defensive zone. 6.5C was a shock when i looked at the caps page.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I am a huge fan of this player and wish the Canucks had him instead of Schneider. He is a blue chip prospect, provided his style of play allows him to stay healthy at the next level. The fact that he is a right handed shot makes him even more valuable IMO.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Senor Rational said:
I think he will be alot like Jackman, except better in the offensive zone but not the same type of poise in the defensive zone. 6.5C was a shock when i looked at the caps page.

Jackman? Thats a name to live up to. Jackman looks to be a Norris winner down the road. You sure he's that physically imposing? I haven't had the opportunity to see him play, but his +/- this year is ridiculous.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
EroCaps said:
Jackman? Thats a name to live up to. Jackman looks to be a Norris winner down the road. You sure he's that physically imposing? I haven't had the opportunity to see him play, but his +/- this year is ridiculous.

Mark my words, at worst Green will be the 2nd best d-man picked in the 1st round.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
wow.... i hope you got some more reasoning to back up that gigantic statment....

smid, thelen, barker, meszaros, schultz, valabik were all selected before green, now i myself can see him pulling ahead of valabik, schultz and maybe thelen for overall play in the NHL, but meszaros/smid/barker all seem real solid to me

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
fedorov_jr said:
wow.... i hope you got some more reasoning to back up that gigantic statment....

smid, thelen, barker, meszaros, schultz, valabik were all selected before green, now i myself can see him pulling ahead of valabik, schultz and maybe thelen for overall play in the NHL, but meszaros/smid/barker all seem real solid to me

Yep, Meszaros/Smid/Barker are the other d-men drafted in the first round that I foresee having good careers in the NHL.

Smid is great with the puck, but he is fairly weak in the defensive zone and he tends to overcommit to plays.

Meszaros is a great all-round d-man. However, one area of his game that he could improve in is becoming aggressive, when he doesn't have the puck.

Barker has to learn to be less aggressive with the puck, while in the opposition's zone and he needs to show up ready to play every night.

Green is a d-man that is good in every faucet of the game. He has good vision, is good in the defensive zone, isn't afraid to attack and he doesn't mind getting physical. After a few years, he is someone that will be seen as one of the big steals of the draft.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
sevenSteen said:
Yep, Meszaros/Smid/Barker are the other d-men drafted in the first round that I foresee having good careers in the NHL.

Smid is great with the puck, but he is fairly weak in the defensive zone and he tends to overcommit to plays.

Meszaros is a great all-round d-man. However, one area of his game that he could improve in is becoming aggressive, when he doesn't have the puck.

Barker has to learn to be less aggressive with the puck, while in the opposition's zone and he needs to show up ready to play every night.

Green is a d-man that is good in every faucet of the game. He has good vision, is good in the defensive zone, isn't afraid to attack and he doesn't mind getting physical. After a few years, he is someone that will be seen as one of the big steals of the draft.

How much of these guys have you seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad