News Article: Mike Green is our only All Star

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I wouldn't have minded if Larking was our choice. He's on a better pace then when he made it his rookie year if im not mistaken. But i can see why we wasn't chosen over other forwards.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm pretty sure most players would rather not attend, and most fans do not watch. I usually tune into the skills comp as a background activity, haven't watched an all-star game in years. The NHL really needs to tweak how they do things. The game itself is incredibly boring, with zero intensity. I also don't like the current format.

I used to really enjoy the "youngstars" game. Maybe they should bring that back. Maybe I only liked it when I was younger though.

Green going can only help our hopes of getting a 1st for him.

Reactions: 14ari13

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
3 on 3 is fun.

Too bad Larkin didn't make it. Green deserved it, either way.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, I also think Larkin probably deserves it more than Green, but Green is also very deserving so it's no big deal. Plus if this makes teams ever so slightly more likely to trade us their first for Green then that matters way more to me than anything and everything having to do with the all star game.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Booo, i wanted to see Larkin vs McDavid speed competition :(

Right?! That's a major bummer. The only real reason to tune into these things is watching players do the skills competition. I wanna see fast skaters, sick cone drills, and big ol' slapshots.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
i enjoy the 3 on 3 division format. way better than how they used to do it imo

but it's a shame that we won't see larkin vs mcdavid in the fastest skater competition. would have been the highlight of the weekend

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I'm honestly thinking Detroit pushed for this so they could get Green more exposure with better players and show him off. If they were promoting the team it would be Larkin, they want to increase his value.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Don’t all teams get 1 player? That is part of why the all star game sucks.

It's for kids and families. Imagine when you were young and your team isn't even part of the game. It's a celebration of hockey, not an actual measuring tool.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What if

Participation is 100% volunteer basis.

And the participants do some kind of cheesy over the top marketing campaign.

And we acknowledge that the event's sole purpose is to entertain and not even attempt in the slightest to be a "legitimate" hockey game.

And each participant receives a bonus check afterwards the amount of which is tied to a fan vote.

And maybe the best entertainers even get cheesy prizes in a cheesy awards ceremony.

Think of the showmanship in terms of pro wrestling.

Basically embrace the silliness and don't pretend it's supposed to be competitive hockey in any sense. Only competitive entertainment wise. If you make the fans laugh, you win.

Like, from previous performances, Ovechkin and Price [is it Price I'm thinking of?] are the people to aspire to.

For example, i want to see an unknown 4th liner wearing an obviously fake McDavid jersey (the name and number written in with crayons) attempt a sweet move and fail hilariously.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I mean, we did have something like that when the 3 on 3 tourney started with John Scott as the MVP.

It was a gong-show but it was glorious.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I mean, we did have something like that when the 3 on 3 tourney started with John Scott as the MVP.

It was a gong-show but it was glorious.
Exactly. John Scott was the most talked about All-star thing ever, so... embrace that concept.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They try to make it like a serious measuring tool though that’s the problem. They are in the weird middle ground. Go full fun or full serious

Reactions: Bench

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Have to figure that Ken Holland made sure that Larkin and Mantha didn't make it, to keep their contracts down for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->