Mike Gartner: Why Is He In The HHOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
708 goals -- when only 5 other players have scored over 700 goals -- is enough on its own; and he was a great all around guy on and off the ice that the league could use more of today

Higgy4 said:
I probably agree that he isnt a top 100 NHL player, when you figure in goalies and defensman and such. But 708 goals is still 708 goals. No matter what way you slice it. In my mind you simply cannot intelligently argue AGAINST 708 goals.

No one is arguing against the 708 goals.

What we are saying is they are the only reason he is in. Period. He is in because he was a consistent guy who chipped his goals every year and was lucky enough to avoid devastating injuries that could have shortened his career. For all the years he played he was never listed among to 10 ten RW in the league.

No one is saying he wasn't good (except for the average comment upthread which is WAY off), but he was never great. He wasn't the type of player who could take over a game like Dionne could. He is in based on that number and that number alone. And I, like JohnFlyersFan would not have voted for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->