Mike Forney

puckguy

Jun 2, 2004
PuckFan01 said:
Then you needed to see him more. For his size and at the competition level he was playing, he would not be considered a physical player.
I've only seen Forney play a couple of times but he didn't impress me as a physical player either.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think a lot of scouts would have put off watching Forney until late in the year at the U-18's and given he got some bad luck and missed the tourney, he might fall based on teams not having a good enough viewing for them to use their top pick on him. It could be a good advantage for a team whose scouts did get a good viewing.

MN Hockey Fan

Jun 2, 2006
Forney is raw and probably hurt his draft decision by staying home this year but that was the least of his concerns. He lead his high school football team to their first ever state playoff appearance as the QB. He lead the hockey team to their first state tourney in 40 years and it was a team made up of 15 seniors, guys that he had played with since he first put on skates. He has twice spurned offers from WHL teams and I am guessing the NDTP was probably on the radar also.

First and foremost, the teams he plays on win. He probably does not impress at the first glance because he really is not an imposing figure. The frame will fill over the next few years. I think he has potential to be an excellant sniper as he moves up the ladder. When surrounded by players that will put the puck on his tape on a regular basis he will be hard to beat in the slot.

People criticize his lack of physical play, but I don't think teams are going to ask him to be a physical threat. He does not back away and maybe gets a little to aggressive with the stick work at times, but he is made to be a scorer not a grinder. At times it looks like he is lazy on the ice, but that is more of a result that he skates so easily. He can get from point A to point B in half the steps it takes a lot of players.

Since he is a May 1988 so he is on the young end of the scale. Gives him two chances to play in the WJC which will help his development. Since he is going to straight from high school to college I see him needing three years of college / major junior plus one full year in the American League before he is NHL ready.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
He did not perform the fitness tests in the NHL Combine last week. We were all told he had an injury of some sort (but I never found out what exactly was wrong with him).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Leslie Treff said:
He did not perform the fitness tests in the NHL Combine last week. We were all told he had an injury of some sort (but I never found out what exactly was wrong with him).

Forney suffered a shoulder injury late in the season.He came back to particpate in the under 18 for Team USA but he suffered a broken ankle in the first practice

Wouldn't mind if the Rangers took him at #21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->