Waived: Mike Cammalleri for buy-out purposes

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
This one surprises me. No need for cap space and he seemed like a traceable piece. They could have done a 50% retention on him and come out better and got some assets no?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Mike Cammalleri was top 10 in scoring in the first half of 2015-2016 season before he got injured. He was playing incredible hockey.

Pardon us Devil fans for thinking he could continue his stellar play. Obviously it did not happen.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not surprised. He's still got game but that contract was terrible. He'll land somewhere. Tomorrow will bring more bad deals and a fresh new batch of buyout candidates for 2018-19.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This one surprises me. No need for cap space and he seemed like a traceable piece. They could have done a 50% retention on him and come out better and got some assets no?

Devils have a ridiculous amounts of LWs and have supposedly been shopping him for the last year.

1LW - Hall
2LW - One of Zacha or Henrique

Then there's a bunch of young players all capable of playing LW -- Blandisi, Wood, and Quenneville should all get a chance at 3LW. Henrique or Zacha could also both play LW depending on how the Devils center situation shakes out. Also, the Devils have a few more prospects that can play fourth line roles who are all left-handed LW/C.

Just a huge logjam and a player who had an awful season last year.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Just clearing the way for Nico to get #13.

but really, surprised we did this. Cammalleri fell off a cliff for the last 1.5 seasons and was just incredibly inconsistent (PPG for half the season and then 1 goal for the rest). We didn't need the cap space but I guess the roster spot is useful as we have a log-jam at LW.

The Devils now have one forward over the age of 27..

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
Some people grumbling he should have gotten another shot but I think he was running the risk of becoming how Ryder finished his time with the team. Best of luck to him but I'd much rather go in a different direction.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mike Cammalleri was top 10 in scoring in the first half of 2015-2016 season before he got injured. He was playing incredible hockey.

Pardon us Devil fans for thinking he could continue his stellar play. Obviously it did not happen.

When he was playing in 15-16, he was probably our best forward. Shame that his injuries and issues have finally caught up with him, because he was terrible last season.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Devils have a ridiculous amounts of LWs and have supposedly been shopping him for the last year.

1LW - Hall
2LW - One of Zacha or Henrique

Then there's a bunch of young players all capable of playing LW -- Blandisi, Wood, and Quenneville should all get a chance at 3LW. Henrique or Zacha could also both play LW depending on how the Devils center situation shakes out. Also, the Devils have a few more prospects that can play fourth line roles who are all left-handed LW/C.

Just a huge logjam and a player who had an awful season last year.

These are the things you wish you knew as a fan. Did they just try to trade him or did they try to trade him with the retention.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
These are the things you wish you knew as a fan. Did they just try to trade him or did they try to trade him with the retention.

They're still paying him $6.68MM as part of the buyout.

If the retained the max 50% they'd only have to pay himn $5MM and would've gotten an asset back in return. I'm pretty sure they offered to retain salary and there were no takers.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
whoa, didnt expect this. i still think he definitely has something left in the tank. bet he ends up in pittsburgh on 87/71 wing and pots 20+.

Thanks but no thanks. If the Pens needed a winger, I wouldn't be opposed but we don't need wing help.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Rangers should consider Cammalleri if they can manage to sign him on a show-me type deal. Move Miller to C and it solves many of the team's problems at forward.

Zucc-Zib-Nash
Kreider-Miller-Buch
Cammalleri-Hayes-Vesey
Grabner-UFA/Andersson/Nieves-Fast

Apr 9, 2009
USA
And Kovalchuk....?

Heck, why stop there? The New Jersey Devils will be changing their name to the New Jersey Wearers.

..because everyone will be wearing a new jersey because they were all free agents. GET IT?!?!?!?!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Cammalleri needs an offensive role in your top six with your best players to succeed.

The further you play him down the line-up, the more useless he gets. Maybe he can be a good 3LW if he plays like he actually gives a **** (he didn't last season), but I doubt it.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Smart move by an otherwise crappy GM.

Good for Shero

look at the roster he inherited from Lou then look now. were not contenders, but Shero has damn near revolutionised the team. id give him a solid A rating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->