Post-Game Talk: Mike Babcock leads Leafs to another win

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
This fanbase is bizarre. I took a peek into Leafs twitter and the most common theme was trashing Gardiner and mocking Babcock for thinking he's a good player. The guy that plays top 10 league-wide even strength minutes for us with great results and who just popping his 50th point of the season is somehow the target of ridicule.

This really shows the lack of hockey knowledge these people have!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This fanbase is bizarre. I took a peek into Leafs twitter and the most common theme was trashing Gardiner and mocking Babcock for thinking he's a good player. The guy that plays top 10 league-wide even strength minutes for us with great results and who just popping his 50th point of the season is somehow the target of ridicule.

This might be a really dumb question but I've seen that term thrown around before, what exactly is Leafs twitter? Just responses to their twitter account or something else?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This might be a really dumb question but I've seen that term thrown around before, what exactly is Leafs twitter? Just responses to their twitter account or something else?
Well what I meant was just twitter comments about the Leafs. I'm not a big social media guy so I don't know if it is used in a different way otherwise.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
In fairness just this week I've seen people suggest Bozak should sit for Aaltonen, not next year but for these upcoming playoffs. We over value AHL prospects and I don't know why that is but I have a theory. I think it might be because the team was so bad all we used to have to look forward to was prospects, we're so used to running down the vets that we downplay their abilities and contributions as a force of habit.
That seems like a pretty extreme thought. I do wish they gave him a look over Goat before the move or at least kept Fehr around (best internal 4th line option IMO)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Feels 103 points good man!!

One more for the record!

45KCTc.png

5gvX8X.png

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Usually Leafs Twitter would be used to describe their beat writers, bloggers, personalities, and the people that follow and comment on their tweets. If you're in that sphere of content on Twitter (I am), there's usually themes of commentary from specific factions regarding players and trends, similar to here with the analytics guys, the grit guys, the Babcock is an idiot guys, and others. It's basically HFBoards, but with more assholes.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That seems like a pretty extreme thought. I do wish they gave him a look over Goat before the move or at least kept Fehr around (best internal 4th line option IMO)

I think Aaltonen should have at least had a chance to play on the fourth line. Would he have needed to go through waivers to be sent back down again?

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Well what I meant was just twitter comments about the Leafs. I'm not a big social media guy so I don't know if it is used in a different way otherwise.

Usually Leafs Twitter would be used to describe their beat writers, bloggers, personalities, and the people that follow and comment on their tweets. If you're in that sphere of content on Twitter (I am), there's usually themes of commentary from specific factions regarding players and trends, similar to here with the analytics guys, the grit guys, the Babcock is an idiot guys, and others. It's basically HFBoards, but with more *******s.

Thanks for the info, that place sounds fun?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Hats off to everyone on this team. 103 points is f***ing huge.

Did not expect these youngsters to push so hard.

Amazing season.

Lets keep this momentum going into the playoffs.

Reactions: Lauro and Mugzy97

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Usually Leafs Twitter would be used to describe their beat writers, bloggers, personalities, and the people that follow and comment on their tweets. If you're in that sphere of content on Twitter (I am), there's usually themes of commentary from specific factions regarding players and trends, similar to here with the analytics guys, the grit guys, the Babcock is an idiot guys, and others. It's basically HFBoards, but with more *******s.

Yikes!

Sometimes it's hard not to, though.

duty_calls.png

:laugh::laugh:

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
This thread is bizarre. We're cruising to the playoffs and are one of the top teams in the league just 2 years after finishing last. We cruised to an easy win in one of our last tune-up games before the playoffs and all people want to talk about is how awful our widely renowned coach is because he might not start the playoffs with the guy they want as our 12th forward, and about our "problems" in net despite the fact that after over a decade of floundering, we finally have stable goaltending. Seriously?
amen sir!

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
That's not going to be good enough. Scoring 3 goals to win is tough in the playoffs.
conversely
vasilevskiy:

not good enough..tampa is done
seriously though..numbers dont win games, you win games by beating the other team..so why dont we play the games before we moan about numbers

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
This fanbase is bizarre.
This fanbase is immature, because too many are immature.

They are immature because of they are what they are ... young people.

This is a young people's forum.

The positives and negatives, there is youthful energy and enthusiasm. The drawback is the "I know everything" syndrome from adolescence.

Babcock will set a new record for the franchise as coach with the most points. He should be the last guy to be criticized. On anything.

No one in 100 years got more points as coach. That is 100 years.

Yet, read enough of this place, that don't mean squat. :laugh:

Imagine that. 100 years of Maples Leafs hockey don't mean squat because "I know better". :naughty:

Maybe that is why this place is kind of fun. It should be fun. :help:

Reactions: Pookie

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i also think babs decision who plays might depend whether or not we are playing tb or boston..i can see komo vs boston and johnnson vs tb

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
i also think babs decision who plays might depend whether or not we are playing tb or boston..i can see komo vs boston and johnnson vs tb

I don't see Komarov coming out of the lineup. The fact that Andreas Johnsson played in place of Kapanen tells me that he might rotate Kapanen and Johnsson.

What I would rather do if we HAVE to play Komarov, is play him at centre, cut our losses with Plekanec (even though he'd be better at center than Komarov) and then play both Kapanen and Johnsson.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He should be the last guy to be criticized. On anything

I am a big Babcock supporter. He's a great coach, i'll never say otherwise. His record along with what he's accomplished in his career is superb. We are very lucky to have him.

Now, that being said - no matter how great anyone may be, or were in the past - that does not eliminate them from being criticised. It's not that anyone is hating on him or don't want to talk about the many positives he's done, because it's a lot for sure. It's more so that we got a taste of our youth and we're hooked. On top, when that youth is outperforming so called "vets" or "men" of the team then he will be criticised, it's only fair. Don't you think?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I don't see Komarov coming out of the lineup. The fact that Andreas Johnsson played in place of Kapanen tells me that he might rotate Kapanen and Johnsson.

What I would rather do if we HAVE to play Komarov, is play him at centre, cut our losses with Plekanec (even though he'd be better at center than Komarov) and then play both Kapanen and Johnsson.
well, i guess we will see. ideally komo is out but i see why babs would want him in. who knows though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
the GOAT is a confirmed bust
I predict pleks will show us his value in the playoffs

He's already shown us his value. He's a massive upgrade on Moore.

The Leafs fourth line is at like 55% possession with Kapanen, Johnsson and Plekanec. He's made some weird decisions on odd man chances and taken some bad penalties but he was never really brought in here for his offense, he was brought here was his solid play. He's been good in that regard.

If he even scores a single goal, I'd be thrilled but it's not necessary for him to prove his worth to the team. As long as he can provide anywhere from 10-15 mins (if we're in OT situations) of good shutdown hockey, we're good.

The weakest link on our forward lines is the Bozak line. They have played very good in 2018 but if any line can be exploited, it's that one. They can easily be hemmed in their zone at times and tend to disappear at times on both ends.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This fanbase is immature, because too many are immature.

They are immature because of they are what they are ... young people.

This is a young people's forum.

The positives and negatives, there is youthful energy and enthusiasm. The drawback is the "I know everything" syndrome from adolescence.

Babcock will set a new record for the franchise as coach with the most points. He should be the last guy to be criticized. On anything.

No one in 100 years got more points as coach. That is 100 years.

Yet, read enough of this place, that don't mean squat. :laugh:

Imagine that. 100 years of Maples Leafs hockey don't mean squat because "I know better". :naughty:

Maybe that is why this place is kind of fun. It should be fun. :help:

I agree with some of this but I do feel compelled to point out that records these days unfortunately need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most wins in a 100 years, well first off the season was only 50 games for much of that time and now of course it's easier to get wins that it was before, you'd have to do some calculations to come up with "adjusted wins" to see what the record is really worth. We've also sucked for much of the last 50 years so some of these records are relatively easy to top. We have 48 wins, hey that's great. Last year, WSH had 55.

Gimme the cup, that's all I want.

Reactions: Lauro

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I am a big Babcock supporter. He's a great coach, i'll never say otherwise. His record along with what he's accomplished in his career is superb. We are very lucky to have him.

Now, that being said - no matter how great anyone may be, or were in the past - that does not eliminate them from being criticised. It's not that anyone is hating on him or don't want to talk about the many positives he's done, because it's a lot for sure. It's more so that we got a taste of our youth and we're hooked. On top, when that youth is outperforming so called "vets" or "men" of the team then he will be criticised, it's only fair. Don't you think?
I agree with what you are saying in your post, in principle.

What happens here is not exactly that.

It is pretty relentless.

It's like poor Mikey is gonna be lynched again by the mob.

Personally speaking, there is a lot of entertainment value in that.

Look how long President Trump's show That Apprentice stayed on the air, simple because people wanted to see who gets fired.

Lynch 'em good!

:cheesy:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad