Post-Game Talk: Mike Babcock leads Leafs to another win

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This thread is bizarre. We're cruising to the playoffs and are one of the top teams in the league just 2 years after finishing last. We cruised to an easy win in one of our last tune-up games before the playoffs and all people want to talk about is how awful our widely renowned coach is because he might not start the playoffs with the guy they want as our 12th forward, and about our "problems" in net despite the fact that after over a decade of floundering, we finally have stable goaltending. Seriously?
At least they've stopped crying about Hyman.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This thread is bizarre.
This fanbase is bizarre. I took a peek into Leafs twitter and the most common theme was trashing Gardiner and mocking Babcock for thinking he's a good player. The guy that plays top 10 league-wide even strength minutes for us with great results and who just popping his 50th point of the season is somehow the target of ridicule.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It was funny watching just how toned down the goal scoring celebrations for Nylander and Matthews were. They really were just coasting through this game, dropping goals whenever the felt they needed to.

I've noticed that even though Matthews doesn't celebrate much, he does often shoot a smile towards the cheering fans. Really endearing part of his personality.

Reactions: NoName

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
If this team won 82 games, people would complain about the 2 shootout wins we had.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs top line really came to play and that is good news as we get ready for the playoffs.

Auston and Willy did a number on the Sabres in this one.

Matthews dominated and blew his rival Eichel out of the water in this one as the young US centres matched up..

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Shame on Leaf fans for being excited about a young player coming up and playing well after being the Marlies best player.

In terms of overvaluing a prospect and throwing them to the wolves in a playoff series with high expectations... yes indeed it’s a shame.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In terms of overvaluing a prospect and throwing them to the wolves in a playoff series with high expectations... yes indeed it’s a shame.

High expectations aren't a bad thing when you play for a team like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I hope he gets the Kap treatment, 4th line minutes to prove himself.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I've noticed that even though Matthews doesn't celebrate much, he does often shoot a smile towards the cheering fans. Really endearing part of his personality.
His first goal last night made me chuckle a little bit, when he smiled at a few fans behind the glass he made them fangirl for a few seconds. And if I remember correctly they were a few middle-aged men, but they loved every second of it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
High expectations aren't a bad thing when you play for a team like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I hope he gets the Kap treatment, 4th line minutes to prove himself.

May I ask all those fans of playoff experience where they are?

We’ve give up 2 draft picks for rentals. The fans rejoice. Yet we had this “talent” all along? What a mismanagement of resources.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This fanbase is bizarre. I took a peek into Leafs twitter and the most common theme was trashing Gardiner and mocking Babcock for thinking he's a good player. The guy that plays top 10 league-wide even strength minutes for us with great results and who just popping his 50th point of the season is somehow the target of ridicule.

Gotta complain about something.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008

We’ve give up 2 draft picks for rentals. The fans rejoice. Yet we had this “talent” all along? What a mismanagement of resources.

Are you implying that giving young players playoff minutes alongside veterans acquired for their playoff experience is a bad thing?
The whole point of bringing vets in is that they've been there and done it, they can guide and advise young players in how to act and what to expect.... not that they come in and do all the work.
Thats how it worked last season and its how it'll work this season; the young core players are still the go-to guys and the acquired vets and youngsters will fill the gaps and gain/provide experience where necessary.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are you implying that giving young players playoff minutes alongside veterans acquired for their playoff experience is a bad thing?
The whole point of bringing vets in is that they've been there and done it, they can guide and advise young players in how to act and what to expect.... not that they come in and do all the work.
Thats how it worked last season and its how it'll work this season; the young core players are still the go-to guys and the acquired vets and youngsters will fill the gaps and gain/provide experience where necessary.

I’ve actually been in favour of ridding the vets at last year’s deadline. Including Komarov.

I’ve been outspoken about the foolishness of signing Marleau, Moore and Hainsey at the expense of youth. And the ridiculousness of rentals like Boyle and Plekanec.

I’m 100% in favour of a development program.

HOWEVER.... that is not where this team is. Anyone thinking that Komarov will sit in the playoffs is enjoying the new legalization laws. This team is about winning now. Their moves are all consistent with that.

And to favour a youth movement at the expense of rentals that many rejoiced in getting is indeed a “flip-flop”

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Which prospect are you talking about? Pleks is a C and we're thin there for our prospect pool.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Babcock is a horrible coach, he was only able to convince young offensive players to play defence, tie the points record for the one of the oldest NHL franchise two years removed from one of the worst Leaf team ever. Meh Babs what have you done lately?

Imagine this, Leafs brass thinks we have room to develop.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Which prospect are you talking about? Pleks is a C and we're thin there for our prospect pool.

In fairness just this week I've seen people suggest Bozak should sit for Aaltonen, not next year but for these upcoming playoffs. We over value AHL prospects and I don't know why that is but I have a theory. I think it might be because the team was so bad all we used to have to look forward to was prospects, we're so used to running down the vets that we downplay their abilities and contributions as a force of habit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->