Player Discussion Mikael Wikstrand part 2 AKA Karlsson 2.0

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking this whole needs to be close to home thingy he has ,is probably the reason he went so low in the draft

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
His ELC bonus was 80k paid out on July 1st each year for three years. If he signed with a Swedish team to a contract that supersedes ours then we do not need to fulfill our obligation since he has no intent on fulfilling his. As for the money already given, the Sens can inform his Swedish team they will only loan him if they are reimbursed for the bonus paid out, recouping the money.

This is what makes sense to me.

Otherwise, he does not get the permission to play and is suspended.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Whatever, he didn't want to be a Pro in the NHL.

Nothing wrong with that. Plenty wrong with how he handled himself however.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
We only have ourselves to blame for this one.

He has received almost zero hype outside of the Ottawa city limits. 3/4 of other NHL fanbases have probably never even heard his name before. Even among more diehard fans, he's probably more known for being "that kid who went back to Sweden because his brother was sick" than he is known for his hockey skill.

Heck, even casual Sens fans barely know much about him. Go ask the guy in Accounts Receivable with the Sens bobblehead on his desk for a scouting report on Wikstrand. I'd give you even odds that he can't do it.

Dorion was pumping him into the sky before we started. didn't he say he was the best dman outside of the nhl? or was it "one of them", or was that rundblad?
or am i completely wrong?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Dorion was pumping him into the sky before we started. didn't he say he was the best dman outside of the nhl? or was it "one of them", or was that rundblad?
or am i completely wrong?

I believe you're right, but there was some discussion at the time as to whether he meant the best on our team or best overall. Most people seemed to think that he meant Wiks was the Sens' best d-man not in the NHL.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Looking at his stats in the KHL.

GP 19 Goals 4 Assists 12 Points = 16 Points

2nd in his team scoring behind a forward.

Leads the league in defense scoring and plus/minus. Top 20 in the league overall.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So it's not so much that Wikstrand didn't want to leave his village, since he literally preferred playing in Tatarstan (Bars Kazan is in Tatarstan) than in Ottawa.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So it's not so much that Wikstrand didn't want to leave his village, since he literally preferred playing in Tatarstan (Bars Kazan is in Tatarstan) than in Ottawa.

Things change over 5 years. He's grown from a boy to a man. Maybe he doesn't have any interest in North America, but maybe ottawa just has no interest In him.

He has a 2 year contract, which ends when he is 27 years old...which would make him a ufa in the NHL at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad