Player Discussion Mikael Backlund

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Bump.

Looks like contract talks with Backs has begun.

Flames open extension talks with F Backlund - Article - TSN

Eric Francis is reporting Backlund's starting ask is 5x5. I'm taking that with a grain of salt until someone who didn't get their job from their mom backs that up, but if there's any truth to it, that's a steal and what I was hoping for as a final number. If I was a GM and he came into my office with that offer, I'd choke on my coffee and give him a pen ASAP.

I'd be happy even with a 6x6 ask, because both sides always start with a number they know they can negotiate from. They never ask what they settle for

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Trying get him to sign right now makes me think they either. A) (obvious choice) want to see if a deal is within range, if not he's trade bait. or long shot B) trade / sign and trade with Ottawa possible, Stone/Hoffman involved ? If it's true they sent Connie there, I know they used him with Johhny and his family, tell him how great city is etc, makes me think Connie could be there for that kind of purpose.

Totally spitballing this, does that make any sense or am I way off ? I'm probably missing something. Is it within realm of possible ?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If it's stuck, I'm thinking NTC and NMC is the part they're disagreeing on, not the salary. But I think the Treliving being too busy angle is more plausible.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If he’s asking for 5x5 I would try for 4.5x6. Is that even possible? Wow that would be a steal. 5x5 is a steal

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he’s asking for 5x5 I would try for 4.5x6. Is that even possible? Wow that would be a steal. 5x5 is a steal

If I was Tre and Backs asked for 5x5, I'd literally not let him finish his sentence and sign him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

yesitis2.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
6 game point streak for Backs
6 game win streak for the flames

Notable players we’ve discussed since the last time Backlund was discussed:
-Morgan Klimchuk
-Daniel Pribyl
-A Dougie vs Dion poll?
-Troy Brouwer

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
He's on pace for 52 points while being good defensively. I have him at 47th in points per game amongst guys actually playing Center with over 20 games played (NHL.com has a tonne of non centers labeled as Centers).

Yet on almost every other Flames site (not so much here) people still call him a 3C.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's on pace for 52 points while being good defensively. I have him at 47th in points per game amongst guys actually playing Center with over 20 games played (NHL.com has a tonne of non centers labeled as Centers).

Yet on almost every other Flames site (not so much here) people still call him a 3C.

I went through the list 1 by 1 based on guys I actually know play center. 35 ES points puts him behind only

Crosby
McDavid
Tavares
MacKinnon
Point
Eichel
Monahan
Duchene
Scheifele
Toews
Stamkos
Larkin
Aho
Couturier
Dubois
Malkin
O'Rielly
Matthews
Couture
Krejci
Seguin
Zibanejad
Barkov
Pavelski
Kuznetsov
Johansen
Pettersson
Backstrom

By my count, that makes Backlund the 29th most productive center in the NHL right now at ES. You could toss in Bergeron who has missed some time and he's at 30th.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I went through the list 1 by 1 based on guys I actually know play center. 35 ES points puts him behind only

Crosby
McDavid
Tavares
Point
Eichel
Monahan
Duchene
Scheifele
Toews
Stamkos
Larkin
Couturier
Malkin
O'Rielly
Couture
Krejci
Seguin
Barkov
Pavelski
Kuznetsov
Johansen
Pettersson

By my count, that makes Backlund the 23rd most productive center in the NHL right now at ES.

Good list and I agree, Monahan is the 6th best center in NHL :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->