Player Discussion Mikael Backlund

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
seriously what is this mesh meme

Back in like 2015 or something Mikael Backlund got surgery on his abs and doctors put this weird little fibre mesh plate in him to help stitch together a muscle he kept reinjuring. To that point he'd always had problems staying healthy, but after the mesh he became a literal God

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Back in like 2015 or something Mikael Backlund got surgery on his abs and doctors put this weird little fibre mesh plate in him to help stitch together a muscle he kept reinjuring. To that point he'd always had problems staying healthy, but after the mesh he became a literal God

He's missed like 1 game or something after that mesh was installed.

The meme really is a joke about putting mesh into players so that they won't get injured.

Sew it into everybody!

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

The meme really is a joke about putting mesh into players so that they won't get injured.

Sew it into everybody!

ah ok

seems like a good meme :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Flames actually did the Wolverine surgery to Backlund, and called it the "Mesh Experiment".

Cyborg 011: The Bionic Mikael

Sew it into everybody!

While hilarious, I want to point out that Backlund had a concussion last season which caused him to pull out of the World Cup early (he was Sweden's ~2/3C) and miss most of preseason.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Cyborg 011: The Bionic Mikael

While hilarious, I want to point out that Backlund had a concussion last season which caused him to pull out of the World Cup early (he was Sweden's ~2/3C) and miss most of preseason.

Well duh. He's probably less than 1% mesh. He needs more.

I suggest sewing it onto his face playoff beard style. :naughty:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm hopeful that Backs will give the Flames a deal because he seems like a good dude, and also he's Swedish (and for some reason Swedes seem to sign a lot of sweetheart deals for NHL teams). I won't complain if he's 5 mil per year or higher, but even something like 4.5 would be solid money for him to make as well as being helpful to the team from a cap perspective.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
To me he's actually been quite bad

Apparently he's been under the weather lately though which could explain it

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
18 points so far.

playing good?

He's been fairly unspectacular in the offensive zone recently, with a lot of low-percentage shots lobbed at the net, but his play in the defensive zone and neutral zone has been as amazing as ever. He's our most efficient centre in transition. Has an uncanny knowledge of where the puck can go to relieve pressure or put the other team on the back foot. But when he's really on, that translates to offensive zone play, too.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Bump.

Looks like contract talks with Backs has begun.

Flames open extension talks with F Backlund - Article - TSN

Eric Francis is reporting Backlund's starting ask is 5x5. I'm taking that with a grain of salt until someone who didn't get their job from their mom backs that up, but if there's any truth to it, that's a steal and what I was hoping for as a final number. If I was a GM and he came into my office with that offer, I'd choke on my coffee and give him a pen ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad