Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
23 years old.

Got it. I can be very understanding that he is 23 years old and his production is down.

Thats fine.

But what I cant be understanding about his constant LAZY play with pathetic effort and continuous turnovers.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
23 years old.

Got it. I can be very understanding that he is 23 years old and his production is down.

Thats fine.

But what I cant be understanding about his constant LAZY play with pathetic effort and continuous turnovers.

Rangeritis may have set in.

:(

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How is his production down exactly? He has the highest points/60 of his career so far this season. This is true for both even strength and on the powerplay.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'd really like Zibs to show he can soften his hands because we have a big contract situation coming up for him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would it be fair to say this last stretch of games and playoffs will be a good indicator of how good a player he really is? I mean if we are gonna give him 5-6 million per what do we need to see from him?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He broke his leg earlier though - it can be hard to recover from it in Zib defense, but
Brassard is a much better player at the moment which is why I am concerned for this year playoffs.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
He broke his leg earlier though - it can be hard to recover from it in Zib defense, but
Brassard is a much better player at the moment which is why I am concerned for this year playoffs.

Of all the reasons to be concerned about the playoffs, Ziba doesn't even rank.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Of all the reasons to be concerned about the playoffs, Ziba doesn't even rank.

yeah, well, D. Brassard usually had another level in playoffs - another compete level so we might miss him.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Wasn't the strategy of 'selling high' mostly seen as the proper way to go forward, to turn over the personnel as opportunity arose, in order to get younger. I thought Brassard exactly the type of player to plug into this type of situation. My understanding is also that patience is part and parcel of the process. The fairly major injury to Zibanejad did have an effect. I do remember stretches of very effective play from him, so he does have the ability. Did that ability fly away, never to be seen again. I doubt it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Mock me all you want. He hasnt produced as of late and to go along with it he has made brainless turnovers, been poor positionally in his own end sometimes just covering space. He hasnt been hustling. He hasnt been effective. He had three turnovers on his first shift of the game in Boston. Good god the excuses for some players on this team are unreal.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
His puck receiving/handling issues happened for around 3 weeks before his injury so I do not think his injury is the reason for his issues. Once he learns to soften his hands he will be a very promising player but until then he will fall short of our higher hopes.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
His puck receiving/handling issues happened for around 3 weeks before his injury so I do not think his injury is the reason for his issues. Once he learns to soften his hands he will be a very promising player but until then he will fall short of our higher hopes.

That is interesting, and I recall you noting this more than once. It remains to be seen what allowed him to show a fairly good touch with the puck at times, though. I'm not saying that what you say is wrong at all. I do admit he is not where he needs to be optimally.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That is interesting, and I recall you noting this more than once. It remains to be seen what allowed him to show a fairly good touch with the puck at times, though. I'm not saying that what you say is wrong at all. I do admit he is not where he needs to be optimally.

The positives are he is young, big, can skate and can shoot. With the right kind of adjustments and practice drills he should be able to soften his hands fairly fast.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Zibanejad is fifth on the team in 5v5 points/60, just behind Miller and ahead of Zuccarello. What a disappointment.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zibanejad is fifth on the team in 5v5 points/60, just behind Miller and ahead of Zuccarello. What a disappointment.

Yep stats tell the whole story. Dont dig deep. Dont analyze play, especially current play. Just accept the numbers.

K.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Yep stats tell the whole story. Dont dig deep. Dont analyze play, especially current play. Just accept the numbers.

K.

The stats are literally a record of the story. He's one of the few skaters on the team with positive possession numbers. He puts up plenty of points at even strength. He's been not so great on the powerplay, but that's an exceedingly small sample size thanks to his injury. His line was pretty excellent last game. I really don't know what else to say about this. To get on his case when Hayes has been hot garbage the last 9 games is ridiculous (1 assist, 0 goals, 0 games with a positive +/- if that's your thing).

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
One thing I'll say about Zib last game is that he was taking the body quite a bit. Was physically involved. Can't say much other than that...but it's something.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How is his production down exactly? He has the highest points/60 of his career so far this season. This is true for both even strength and on the powerplay.
One poster said something along the lines of: with Mika's skill set, he should be controlling the ice like Forsberg. Peter Forsberg.

member 116805

Great timely goal, still thought his game tonight, as a whole, was weak again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->