Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just for reference who does??? We know points is an easy way to get what company Zibby belongs in, but the advanced stats what is his company? we talking top 30? 20? 10?

Keep in mind, he hasn't done that his entire career, but that chart you're looking at is pretty comparable to Joe Pavelski or Jeff Carter.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
There’s been quite a bit of debate as to what type of player Zbad really is so I thought it might be a good time to bump this thread.

It’s not meant to rag on Zib but maybe have some debate on the good/bad parts of his game.

The fact of the matter is, He’s just not as good as some seem to claim and the expectations set for him have been a bit far fetched to say the least IMO.

I can’t wrap my head around people arguing that he’s even remotely capable of covering the huge gaping holes left by Stepan or Brassard.
(Some will even argue to the point where they call you a racist, bigot, which btw is some of the most ignorant posting I’ve ever seen on these boards and that’s saying a lot.
It’s f***ing absurd! But that’s another issue entirely)

Back to the point..

Is he comparable point wise? Yes!
But the difference is that both Stepan and Brassard are able to maintain those points totals all while playing stellar defensively.

Either one of them can match up against the leagues best and they play a complete game.
All minutes, 5 on 5, PP, PK..Etc

Zibanejad has an incredible amount of holes in his game and simply cannot handle those types of minutes.
He’s not a good 5 on 5/200 foot player.
It’s just not his game..

Stepan and Brassard both know how to use their line mates very effectively where as Zbad, I feel is severely lacking in that in that part of his game.
He needs good passing line mates in order to get points.

It just seems like he’s always on a solo mission a lot of the time to me.

The best part of his game is that wicked shot, especially on the PP.

All of the above is nothing new and shouldn’t come as any surprise to anyone.
He’s as advertised..

All that said, I squarely blame JG for signing a player and forcing him into playing one the teams most important roles.

One in which he’s clearly not capable of succeeding at..

Reactions: NCRanger

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
My biggest issue is the fact that he doesn’t look like he’s trying and since he’s back in the lineup he’s scared and on his ass all night at even strength

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
My biggest issue is the fact that he doesn’t look like he’s trying and since he’s back in the lineup he’s scared and on his ass all night at even strength

That's his game, or lack there of.
It should come as no surprise.
Rah rah lol

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I wanted Zibs when we traded for him. I had been interested since his draft and his big goal in the WJC. I was stoked when I heard we’d gotten him for Brassard because I figured comparable players but one is younger with higher upside. Since he has come to NY my opinion has changed. My personal opinion is just that, for Z, hockey is just a fraction of his life. He’s a jet setting, hair bleaching, party dj’ing mini celebrity. On the one hand, he’s obviously super talented and has enough combination of skill and desire to put up points fairly consistently (however at inconsistent intervals), but I just think that speaks to how talented he is and how good he could be. His personality, at least what you can glean from interviews and features and such, is just fairly disengaged and for a guy who likes to party and shop, NYC can have its pitfalls. You have guys like Lundqvist and Subban who are very interested in their off ice pursuits, like fashion or charity but you can tell they’re just laser focused on being in game shape, game ready, bringing their best to the rink every day, all year. I don’t think Z has that maturity or focus. I know people will disagree vehemently. I love watching Z unload the one timer and, like I said, I had wanted him here and was excited when we added him, but since watching him every night I have soured on him. I sometimes think he’d be better off relegated to RW and asked to do less. He would be an adequate 1RW/good 2RW... if we had an actual top line center to push him over.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's a legit 2nd line center. He's not a 1st line center and unless the Rangers can get all four lines scoring with some consistency they're going to have to find someone at least as good if not better than him. The way he plays reminds me of Nedved--though he's not quite as good and he's a bit softer. By the way the Rangers team that Nedved played for when he was their main center never made the playoffs either.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He's a legit 2nd line center. He's not a 1st line center and unless the Rangers can get all four lines scoring with some consistency they're going to have to find someone at least as good if not better than him. The way he plays reminds me of Nedved--though he's not quite as good and he's a bit softer. By the way the Rangers team that Nedved played for when he was their main center never made the playoffs either.

And currently he has the ~40th highest cap hit league wide for a center which puts him in 2nd line territory. I also like the Nedved comparison.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I wanted Zibs when we traded for him. I had been interested since his draft and his big goal in the WJC. I was stoked when I heard we’d gotten him for Brassard because I figured comparable players but one is younger with higher upside. Since he has come to NY my opinion has changed. My personal opinion is just that, for Z, hockey is just a fraction of his life. He’s a jet setting, hair bleaching, party dj’ing mini celebrity. On the one hand, he’s obviously super talented and has enough combination of skill and desire to put up points fairly consistently (however at inconsistent intervals), but I just think that speaks to how talented he is and how good he could be. His personality, at least what you can glean from interviews and features and such, is just fairly disengaged and for a guy who likes to party and shop, NYC can have its pitfalls. You have guys like Lundqvist and Subban who are very interested in their off ice pursuits, like fashion or charity but you can tell they’re just laser focused on being in game shape, game ready, bringing their best to the rink every day, all year. I don’t think Z has that maturity or focus. I know people will disagree vehemently. I love watching Z unload the one timer and, like I said, I had wanted him here and was excited when we added him, but since watching him every night I have soured on him. I sometimes think he’d be better off relegated to RW and asked to do less. He would be an adequate 1RW/good 2RW... if we had an actual top line center to push him over.
Very good analysis. Spot on IMO

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I seriously want to trade this guy while we can. I do not think he is a first line center or even a center to be honest. A one trick pony essentially and brittle as glass. He can't make a play to save his life. Just shoot from the hashmarks. We can do better. Trade pieces that can get you something.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I seriously want to trade this guy while we can. I do not think he is a first line center or even a center to be honest. A one trick pony essentially and brittle as glass. He can't make a play to save his life. Just shoot from the hashmarks. We can do better. Trade pieces that can get you something.
Yes. Please. Package him with a top pick at the draft to move up or get a blue chip can’t miss player

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
My only concern with Zibs is his health. Every year he starts off well until he gets hurt. 15 points in 19 games last year. 22 points in 24 games this year.

He needs to be healthy for a full year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

That's a good comparison but the difference between the 2 is that Nedved, even though he shouldn't have been in that role either, still left it all out on the ice.
He put in a constant effort, especially after #11 called him out for being too soft.
I feel Nedved was also a much smarter player and used his line mates extremely well..#CzechMates

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
That's a good comparison but the difference between the 2 is that Nedved, even though he shouldn't have been in that role either, still left it all out on the ice.
He put in a constant effort, especially after #11 called him out for being too soft.
I feel Nedved was also a much smarter player and used his line mates extremely well..#CzechMates
See I agree. It’s weird though. Messier is hands down my all time favorite player, but I liked Nedved too, even though Mess hated him

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My only concern with Zibs is his health. Every year he starts off well until he gets hurt. 15 points in 19 games last year. 22 points in 24 games this year.

He needs to be healthy for a full year.

How much of that is having a Kreider get to the front of the net and open up space? Or playing with Buchnevich?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
See I agree. It’s weird though. Messier is hands down my all time favorite player, but I liked Nedved too, even though Mess hated him

I'm a big Mess fan as well and after he said that I kinda got on Nedved's shit as well but to Nedved's defense, he did something about it.
He got my respect after that..

Zib..I just don't think is a fit for this team.

I can say that about a few other players as well..

The dead weight on this team needs to #HitTheTrail.

Bring in some real character guys with a pulse IMO..

Reactions: bl02 and NCRanger

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't really get why everyone is suddenly up in arms about him. The team is bad. They're done with the coach, they're missing key players. When things weren't in such ridiculous turmoil he was playing excellent hockey.

Reactions: Off Sides

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm a big Mess fan as well and after he said that I kinda got on Nedved's **** as well but to Nedved's defense, he did something about it.

What exactly do you think this team even is right now in order to say someone does or doesn't fit it? There's no "it" at all Imo.

Reactions: lucky13

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I'm a big Mess fan as well and after he said that I kinda got on Nedved's **** as well but to Nedved's defense, he did something about it.

I want my forwards to be 4 Sean Avery’s, 4 Zucarrello’s and 4 Jonathon Toews’

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What exactly do you think this team even is right now in order to say someone does or doesn't fit it? There's no "it" at all Imo.

What the rest of the team is or isn't shouldn't prevent Zib from playing some meaningful minutes so in my eyes, he either doesn't want to or he just straight up isn't capable.
I'll easily put my money on the latter.
The Nedved post you quoted kind of illustrates that.
Nedved stepped up while Zib has done absolutely nothing except stand there and wait for a puck to hit his stick..

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What the rest of the team is or isn't shouldn't prevent Zib from playing some meaningful minutes so in my eyes, he either doesn't want to or he just straight up isn't capable.
I'll easily put my money on the latter.
The Nedved post you quoted kind of illustrates that.
Nedved stepped up while Zib has done absolutely nothing except stand there and wait for a puck to hit his stick..
Not capable based on what? Before getting hurt he was dominant, now he's back, the team is in shambles and he's sucking like literally every other player except Hank. Yeah, it'd be nice if he rose above missing both his usual line mates, having a team that is beyond sick of it's coach and having a d system that lets the other team have the puck 80% of every game - but I don't think his inability to do so means he's not a good player or not a good fit here.

Nedved played on a way better team decades ago. I don't really take his experience to have any amount of weight in evaluating Zib.

You said he wasn't a fit here, I was just curious about what type of player you think fits here or what you think this team is going for.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
OK so let's just minus this season entirely and just base this off of his entire body of work.
He's been in the league for what? 6 years now?
What would give you any indication that he's ever been capable of meeting the expectations you're setting for him?
A good 10 game stretch? Because that's what he does every year..
Sorry but it just all seems like wishful thing to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad