Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just check pages 5-8 of this thread. The hive mentality was out to get him because he wasn't Brassard. Even when he out produced the **** out of him all season.
You want one even better? Go read the initial reactions to the trade: the supposed garbage possession player has been one of our best for two years in a row:naughty:

Reactions: All Might

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You want one even better? Go read the initial reactions to the trade: the supposed garbage possession player has been one of our best for two years in a row:naughty:
I like to pretend that thread never existed Lol.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
It`s an expensive contract, but he is a an unique talent - it`s too early to speculate on value of it.
Yes.. he is so young. In an optimal situation, he may be a team icon for a long time. In a pessimistic scenario, it can be a nightmare..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At the time of the trade, it was generally seen that Brassard was the better player now and that Zibanejad would be as good, possibly better, several years down the line.

Frankly, I think Zibanejad is better already, which says nothing about the potential for the future.

Since the trade:

Brassard - 95 games, 20 goals, 32 assists, 52 points = .55 ppg. Playoffs 11 points in 19 games = .58 ppg

Zibanejad - 73 games, 22 goals, 33 assists, 55 points = .75 ppg. Playoffs 9 points in 12 games = .75 ppg

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Zibby clearly becoming a go-to 1C. His defensive game is underrated. and come playoff time hes got a big body for the tougher scoring. If he keeps playing with Kreider and Buch and winning faceoffs hes going to continue to pick up points easily

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
At the time of the trade, it was generally seen that Brassard was the better player now and that Zibanejad would be as good, possibly better, several years down the line.

Frankly, I think Zibanejad is better already, which says nothing about the potential for the future.

Since the trade:

Brassard - 95 games, 20 goals, 32 assists, 52 points = .55 ppg. Playoffs 11 points in 19 games = .58 ppg

Zibanejad - 73 games, 22 goals, 33 assists, 55 points = .75 ppg. Playoffs 9 points in 12 games = .75 ppg
Still can't believe we picked up a 2nd in that deal..

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I wish Zibby could be more aggressive and throw more hard hits out there, kind of like a Lindros lite.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Ottawa traded him solely for the money. They couldn't afford paying Zibanejad what we paid him on his current deal. Hence the 2nd rounder

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like jerseys but I do want his tee shirt, either long sleeve or short. I can't find any yet.

I picked up an authentic reebox Mika jersey at the NHL store when they went on sale. Paid 50.00 for it, normally 350.00. They were making room for the new jerseys . With this league and because of the cap players move around a lot so have to make sure you know who to get. With that said, hope Mika goes even beyond this contract with NY.

I think i am set for jerseys now, have two Callahan's(Holding out hope he may return to this organization either player or staff) and have my Mika now. Looking at maybe a Kreider but not sure.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Doesn't Brassard bascially make the same as we pay zibanejad?
I think so. Had Zbad not broken his leg last year I think it would have been considered a breakout season for him. Ottawa soured on him and jumped the gun a year too early. Poor talent eval? Bad luck? Probably both. In the end they decided they'd rather pay a proven commodity then Zbad who hadn't broken out yet.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I have seen Zibanejad throw some punishing checks. He won't be making it his prime focus, and that is fine with me. He can use his size to get at pucks, from what I've seen.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have seen Zibanejad throw some punishing checks. He won't be making it his prime focus, and that is fine with me. He can use his size to get at pucks, from what I've seen.

I also think with Kreider on his line, there is no need for it. Sure here and there is good if he can. I like the idea that Mika and Buch have a guy like Kreider to do the dirty work for them, but can also pot goals as well. It's a very good line with a good mix of players.

That one pass to Buch against Columbus , can play that over and over the highlights on that goal.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Doesn't Brassard bascially make the same as we pay zibanejad?
Their cap hits are similar but in terms of actual salary I think Brassard's contract was structured so that what he was getting paid this year and last was $3m per year, we also waited and paid a July 15 signing bonus of like $2m and got a 2nd round pick for that

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Their cap hits are similar but in terms of actual salary I think Brassard's contract was structured so that what he was getting paid this year and last was $3m per year, we also waited and paid a July 15 signing bonus of like $2m and got a 2nd round pick for that

Yes, the Rangers paid the signing bonus last summer, which was 2 mil. That left Ottawa on the hook for 10 mil over 3 years.

Zib made 3.25 mil last year and will make another 11.5 mil between this year and next, for a total of 14.75 mil.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Since the trade:

IMO Zibanejad right now is the best center we've had since Nylander. What can't Mika do? You know?

Wins faceoffs
Possession beast
Big shot
Great passing
Clutch
Used in all situations
Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad