Injury Report: Mika Zibanejad out with concussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You won't miss him? Sounds like he isn't being used properly he was our best two way center

Haha. He's been spoon fed the most choice minutes available. He's loafing around like a fat loser. He's an extremely lazy player. Stepan has been almost entirely lackadaisical and nonchalant on the ice this season. Generally listless and disinterested. Almost exclusively. Such a complete and total disappointment. He sucks. Please take him back. For free.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

rt

May 13, 2004
He's shooting 3.9%. If he was shooting around his career average, he'd have 20 points in 27 games, which is about his normal production.
Many of those points came from happening to be the guy who got Keller the puck during Clayton's hot start. Stepan just coasts man. Total passenger.

EDIT: Anyway, didn't mean to derail this thread. Sorry about Z. I'll bump a Stepan thread over on our board if you guys are curious. I don't think you'll find a Coyotes poster who doesn't mostly hate him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Many of those points came from happening to be the guy who got Keller the puck during Clayton's hot start. Stepan just coasts man. Total passenger.

Not the player who played for us, the trade isn't working that well for us either, although we needed to rebuild, so even if we didn't get a great return, its still not so bad.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Haha. He's been spoon fed the most choice minutes available. He's loafing around like a fat loser. He's an extremely lazy player. Stepan has been almost entirely lackadaisical and nonchalant on the ice this season. Generally listless and disinterested. Almost exclusively. Such a complete and total disappointment. He sucks. Please take him back. For free.
Staal+2nd for Stepan.

Reactions: Ail

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not the player who played for us, the trade isn't working that well for us either, although we needed to rebuild, so even if we didn't get a great return, its still not so bad.

It just tell me that Zucc is off the table, because most players are better with him on his line at least those with hockey IQ and dont hug the puck for too long like Hayes & Nash. He will be essential when Chytil & Lias is NHL ready maybe early as next year.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I think I'd be content with a straight swap of Stepan for Shattenkirk, even without DeAngelo and Andersson added in.

Reactions: Fvital92

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
More then willing to if a guy like that is playing how you say he is it's because he doesn't want to be there.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Interesting because Stepan always busted his ass here every single shift. Great defensively and key player offensively. He was the 1C and really the glue holding the offense together playing in all situations on a team that went to the SCF once and ECF twice among other playoff series wins.

Maybe it's the losing environment there that's the problem and not Stepan?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I give Stepan the benefit of the doubt. The guy is a professional. It is hard for me to believe that he is coasting and looking disinterested. It could be that the guy is a slow skater to begin with. Second, after 7 years of growing up and becoming a major part of an organization here, it is tough to be put into an entirely different on-ice surrounding, locker room and clubhouse culture, and lifestyle away from the rink. It just takes a while for some people to adjust to a different on-ice system, teammates, and everything else.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Oh.. wait whaaaaaat? Mr. Derek "Relax-We've-Got-This" Stepan lackadaisical?

I was told to believe he was a Grade A 1st line Center and the reason for the Rangers' success! Color me shocked that he's barely a 2nd line Center at best! (if even)

Reactions: leetch99

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
This sucks, and this team has terrible luck with concussions.

I'm Mika's biggest critic, but he's been a beast this season. Really hope he heals up quick.

rt

May 13, 2004
Interesting because Stepan always busted his ass here every single shift. Great defensively and key player offensively. He was the 1C and really the glue holding the offense together playing in all situations on a team that went to the SCF once and ECF twice among other playoff series wins.

Maybe it's the losing environment there that's the problem and not Stepan?

OEL is still working hard. So is Max Domi, who apart from an EN goal is shooting at 1.4% in the most epic case of snake-bite I've ever seen. Max is maybe the most frustrated hockey player on Earth right now, but he's working hard. Anthony Duclair is being persecuted by his coaching staff and given 4th line minutes and healthy scratches despite being among the best on the team in pts/60mins and he's still working hard when he does get to play.

The Coyotes suck. They're a joke of a team. The pros on the roster haven't let that stop them from fulfilling their duty as professionals.

EDIT: Anyway, as I said, I'm sorry to derail this thread. I started a Stepan Sucks thread on the Yotes board if you'd like to take it there. I'll stop checking in over here. Sorry guys.

Reactions: leetch99

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
OEL is still working hard. So is Max Domi, who apart from an EN goal is shooting at 1.4% in the most epic case of snake-bite I've ever seen. Max is maybe the most frustrated hockey player on Earth right now, but he's working hard. Anthony Duclair is being persecuted by his coaching staff and given 4th line minutes and healthy scratches despite being among the best on the team in pts/60mins and he's still working hard when he does get to play.

The Coyotes suck. They're a joke of a team. The pros on the roster haven't let that stop them from fulfilling their duty as professionals.

EDIT: Anyway, as I said, I'm sorry to derail this thread. I started a Stepan Sucks thread on the Yotes board if you'd like to take it there. I'll stop checking in over here. Sorry guys.
It's cool man, you guys are always welcome here. :)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Oh.. wait whaaaaaat? Mr. Derek "Relax-We've-Got-This" Stepan lackadaisical?

I was told to believe he was a Grade A 1st line Center and the reason for the Rangers' success! Color me shocked that he's barely a 2nd line Center at best! (if even)
Add another poster to the small group of hot-take aficionados

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Ail

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Man 4 or 5 concussions thats not good, I hope this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I hope this isn't another Kariya or LaFontaine or Lindros.

realistically all of these players have probably had 4-5 concussions in their careers, they just haven't all been reported

Reactions: romba

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
ive had at least 4 concussions playing hockey...if you havent had a concussion at least once, youre not a hockey player...its just the nature of the game. ice is slippery..and hell i dont even play check hockey.

players are outta control at lower levels, players are highly aggressive at higher levels...either way, youre going to take some bad hits, youre going to hit your head on the ice, and youre going to get concussions.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I can see Stepan's slow first step and slow foot speed being interpreted as lazy. He's also not getting any younger, is a notoriously slow starter, and probably is still getting comfortable in a new system/scheme. Say what you want about him but he rarely mailed it in or didn't give his all here. He's just an extremely smart player with limited skill especially in the skating department.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I can see Stepan's slow first step and slow foot speed being interpreted as lazy. He's also not getting any younger, is a notoriously slow starter, and probably is still getting comfortable in a new system/scheme. Say what you want about him but he rarely mailed it in or didn't give his all here. He's just an extremely smart player with limited skill especially in the skating department.
Yup, Stepan is a center who isn't really good at anything else but his ice vision. He's a smart player, but he's also a bad skater, a good passer, an average shooter and not a physical player. When he looks bad, he looks really bad. When he looks good, you don't know why he's contributing so much without you noticing him.

All in all, I'm glad NYR let him go. He's too dependant on his linemates doing something well, compared to his price. Ice vision alone isn't enough for his contributions.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
True, but it apparently wasn't revealed quickly enough. 0 chance the league goes back now and takes a second look despite concussions/head shots being exactly what the league wants to eliminate the most. It's ridiculous, but had he stayed down and left the game there no doubt would have been a closer look by the league.

Somehow I doubt it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ive had at least 4 concussions playing hockey...if you havent had a concussion at least once, youre not a hockey player...its just the nature of the game. ice is slippery..and hell i dont even play check hockey.

players are outta control at lower levels, players are highly aggressive at higher levels...either way, youre going to take some bad hits, youre going to hit your head on the ice, and youre going to get concussions.

Yup, and lots of "got your bell rung but are OK to keep playing" are actually concussions that people don't think of as concussions.

Lots of guys sustain concussions early in their careers that aren't diagnosed as such.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Yup, and lots of "got your bell rung but are OK to keep playing" are actually concussions that people don't think of as concussions.

Lots of guys sustain concussions early in their careers that aren't diagnosed as such.
This. At all levels of sports, especially when they’re younger, players push through it. No one knows how many he’s had, he doesn’t even know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad