Miikka Kiprusoff's HOF Case

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
You can't be serious.

Just LOL.

Explain what's so funny about that. Okay, I can see CuJo vs. Kipper being preference. CuJo was good for longer, but never had quite the peak Kipper had. He definitely has a more traditional HoF case.

And if I have to explain why he's better than Osgood you've obviously never watched either of those goalies play.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Explain what's so funny about that. Okay, I can see CuJo vs. Kipper being preference. CuJo was good for longer, but never had quite the peak Kipper had. He definitely has a more traditional HoF case.

And if I have to explain why he's better than Osgood you've obviously never watched either of those goalies play.

• Stanley Cup Champion – 1997, 1998, 2008
  • 2-time winner of the Jennings
  • 10th all-time in wins
  • 8th in all-time playoff wins
  • 4th in all-time playoff shut-outs
you haven't watched either obviously. Osgood was a damn good goalie

If I had the game on the line and got to choose between ozzy or Kipper I choose the guy who was a beast in the playoffs more than one season.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
  • 10th all-time in wins
What the **** has Kipper done? you haven't watched either obviously. Osgood was a damn good goalie.

If I had the game on the line and got to choose between ozzy or Kipper I choose the guy who was a beast in the playoffs more than one season.

For 7/8 years he was in the top ten for the Vezina, 4 of those in the top 5 and winning it once, and also top 5 for the Hart twice. He was the backbone of a Calgary team for years and years.

Osgood was good but he played on a stacked Red Wings team for a good portion of his career. He had some amazing seasons but for the majority of his career he was 'good' whereas the majority of Kiprusoff's career he was amazing.

I can understand the argument of longevity, but on who was the better goaltender? Kiprusoff, no doubt. Kipper vs Cujo would be a much closer, flip a coin type of deal. But Osgood doesn't deserve to be in the conversation between these 2.

Last edited:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I should hope everyone who comments in this thread "saw both"

Kipper was good for 3 years. He had a high peak. He was a damn good goalie. But he was no way better than Cujo or Osgood. No chance.

OK, that's wrong. Kiprusoff was a top-10 NHL goalie from 2004 to 2012.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Is this a joke? He was good for a couple of years but HOF? for real?

Even CUJO or Osgood arent in the hall.

7 times he was top 8 in Vezina voting and twice top 4 in Hart voting. More than a couple years he was good. However no hhof.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I should hope everyone who comments in this thread "saw both"

Kipper was good for 3 years. He had a high peak. He was a damn good goalie. But he was no way better than Cujo or Osgood. No chance.

Osgood was a decent goalie who was fortunate enough to be play for the best team in the league for most of his career. It is pretty telling that he was never really considered for Team Canada when it came to international play. He was also put on waivers in his prime.

Reactions: Mitts

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
  • 10th all-time in wins
What the **** has Kipper done? you haven't watched either obviously. Osgood was a damn good goalie.

Well I think you'd be alone there. The Red Wings barely even trusted Osgood. There's a reason they got rid of him the first time and tried to upgrade.

And a lot of the the things listed there aren't even his accomplishments. He was a backup for one of those Cups. And for both of the Jennings he was in a platoon. Kipper won a Jennings too, and he earned it himself.

As for wins and playoff wins, are you honestly going to try and tell me that the Red Wings rosters vs. the Flames rosters are comparable? When did Osgood drag a team like the 2004 Flames to the Finals? Oh right, never.

And Osgood was often branded as a playoff choker until late in his career. They brought in Vernon, because Osgood choked in '94. And after a few playoff losses such as in 2001 to the Kings, the Wings felt they needed to upgrade on him and brought in Hasek. The Wings lost Osgood at that point for NOTHING. Let that sink in. Would the Flames have ever lose Kipper for nothing?

Osgood didn't have any playoff success (he didn't win a single playoff series) until he was brought back by the Red Wings and let's not forget that he was brought back to be the BACKUP goalie.

It's really only after the 2008 Cup win that people started revising history to make Osgood out to be something he wasn't.

If Kipper played for the Wings when Osgood did, the Wings would have won more Cups.

I watched all of both goalies careers and it's not remotely close. Osgood has votes for the Vezina in as many seasons as Kipper was a nominee. I guess you'd say Osgood is better than Hasek as well since he has more wins and more Cups, yes?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
There is zero argument for Kipper being as good as Cujo or Osgood. Unless you'e 12 years old and never got to see ozzy or cujo...

Kipp seven top 8 in Vezina voting
Cujo six top 8 in Vezina voting
Osgood two top 8 in Vezina voting.

Kipp twice top 4 in hart in voting
Cujo once top 4 in hart voting
Osgood none

Kipp 1 Vezina
Cujo none
Osgood none

So for sure there is an argument. Kipp longevity is shorter than Osgood and Cujo but has more Vezina voting

grim

Sep 22, 2005
ottawa
No, no, no, no, no and no.

If you put him in the HOF, you have to add a lot more goalies to the HOF. I mean, if you put him in the HOF, you have to put Tim Thomas in the HOF, you probably even have to put Chris Osgood in the HOF and you might even have to put Ryan Miller in the HOF. And you'd definitely have to put Tom Barrasso in the HOF too.

And Roman Cechmanek.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Playing elite goaltending in a mediocre team throughout his career. I mean averaging 64 games where his first and last season makes it smaller. Without them it would be 73. The peak was amazing stealing games and carrying the team. He would be a HOFer if he had won a bit more with the team.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
2hzsidc.jpg
2hzsidc.jpg

2hzsidc.jpg

You can't be serious.

Just LOL.
He was? Osgood was an okay goalie with a dynasty in front of him. Reminds me a lot like Crawford. CuJo is there with Kipper.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, no, no, no, no and no.

If you put him in the HOF, you have to add a lot more goalies to the HOF. I mean, if you put him in the HOF, you have to put Tim Thomas in the HOF, you probably even have to put Chris Osgood in the HOF and you might even have to put Ryan Miller in the HOF. And you'd definitely have to put Tom Barrasso in the HOF too.
I forgot about Cujo, add him to this list too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Roman Cechmanek.
Not quite.

I mean, Kipper was better than Cechmanek by quite a bit. I know it's the Hockey Hall Of Fame and not the NHL Hall Of Fame, so you take into accounts Cechmanek's European career, which wasn't bad, but I still don't think he matches up with Kipper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad