Miikka Kiprusoff's HOF Case

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like easy decisions.

In this case the answer is no, and I don't think there is much room for discussion. He can go in the hall of very good along with Marleau and Hossa

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, no, no, no, no and no.

If you put him in the HOF, you have to add a lot more goalies to the HOF. I mean, if you put him in the HOF, you have to put Tim Thomas in the HOF, you probably even have to put Chris Osgood in the HOF and you might even have to put Ryan Miller in the HOF. And you'd definitely have to put Tom Barrasso in the HOF too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like easy decisions.

In this case the answer is no, and I don't think there is much room for discussion. He can go in the hall of very good along with Marleau and Hossa
Hossa is definitely in the HOF.

Marleau is still up for debate. If he cotinues this season's pace for the whole year and has another season like this next year and a decent season in 19-20, he'll probably be in.

Reactions: Phu

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Sadly, no. May have been talented and good enough to pull it off, seeing as he could be DOMINANT, but as it stands, he is more like the measuring stick I use.

Better than Kipper = in. Worse = out.

Just not a career to back it up, in my opinion.

Reactions: Bleedred and FVM

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
I like easy decisions.

You're underselling Kipper here imo. The guy was absolute cold steel in his prime, stealing games left right and centre. At his peak he had much more impact on games than Hossa or Marleau ever did.

He needed a cup to have an actual shot though.

For thread substance:

Reactions: Sk8M8, Ukki and FVM

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
No major individual awards

Never finished top five in scoring

Just accumulated a lot of points playing good hockey with longevity.

I don't value that in the HHOF

I'm a small room guy, for sure. And not to derail this thread (though, it has only minor purpose to begin with)...he is a HOF caliber player, his two-way play for a generation was something to behold and he did finish top-5 in scoring for the record...also 6th once...you're making it incredibly tough for players that played both ends diligently to make it with the brief criteria that you've laid out...

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
No major individual awards

Never finished top five in scoring

Just accumulated a lot of points playing good hockey with longevity.

I don't value that in the HHOF

I agree with your opinion, but Hossa is getting in. Andreychuck and Housley are in so it's not like it's that hard to make the hall.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
His peak is awesome. He's really hurt by the lockout cancelled season. Given his previous season and following season, you add in a season of that caliber (likely a Vezina) and he's got a better shot. He was Top 5 in Vezina voting for four consecutive seasons, which during his time and after, only Brodeur has matched.

I think he is a lot closer to being worthy than most people would give him credit for, but Hall of Very Good is probably where he belongs. I'd say his case is a bit better than Tim Thomas and miles better than Chris Osgood, but not quite there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No. You need to be dominant for a substantial part of your career. Kipper was the best goalie in the league at one time, yes, but so was Jose Theodore. He didn't sustain his time at the top for long enough to be a consideration.

Reactions: Bleedred

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
He's better than both CuJo and Osgood.
2hzsidc.jpg
2hzsidc.jpg

2hzsidc.jpg

You can't be serious.

Just LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Kiprusoff is like a slightly-better Vernon without the awards or longevity, and Vernon isn't in the Hall of Fame and likely will never be. You can argue how much better Kiprusoff was, but in the end, does that outweigh Vernon's accomplishments? IMO, no. He'll have his number retired, he'll go in the Finnish HHOF, but no more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->