Midseason Media/Scout Top 10 OHL'ers for the 2018 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2018

It's time for an update to our media/scout list. There's still lots of meaningful hockey to be played (rest of the CHL regular season, CHL playoffs, U18's), but it's always great to see how opinions change over the course of a season.

Interestingly enough, the names inside our top 10 haven't changed one bit. The order certainly has, but the ten names listed are the same ten names from November. And that order is as close as ever. Svechnikov and Bouchard are the top two names reasonably consistently. But 3-7 is pretty interchangeable depending on who you ask. Hayton, McLeod, Thomas, Merkley, and Noel are fighting for that third spot and look like potential first round picks. In fact, nine different OHL players received a vote inside the top 3. What does all this mean? That the OHL playoffs and Under 18's (for some players) will be very important for determining just how this list looks come June.

As always, it's important to note the contributors, as without them and their terrific insight, this article does not exist. For the midseason list, the following helped out:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)
Dominic Tiano - Writer for The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)
Dylan Galloway - OHL Scout for Future Considerations (@dylangalloway_)
Peter Kneulman - Provides OHL coverage at OHL Writer (@PeterKneulman)
Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)
Ryan Kennedy - Associate Senior Writer for The Hockey News(@THNRyanKennedy)
Peter Harling - Managing Editor of Dobber Prospects (@pharling)
Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)
Steve Kournianos - Founder of The Draft Analyst(@TheDraftAnalyst)
Mark Scheig - OHL writer for The Hockey Writers (@THWMark)
Tony Ambrogio - PA Announcer for the Mississauga Steelheads & TSN editor (@Tony_Ambrogio)
Todd Warriner - CHL analyst for Sportsnet, Colour analyst for the Windsor Spitfires (@Todd_Warriner)
Chris Peters - NHL Prospects Writer for ESPN (@chrismpeters)
Grant McCagg - President of Recrutes Hockey (@grantmccagg)
Mark McKelvie - Play by Play voice of the Owen Sound Attack (@Mark14McKelvie)
Steve Clark - Play by play voice of the Niagara IceDogs (@ClarkPlaybyPlay)
Mark Seidel - Scouting Director for NACS Hockey (@MarkSeidel)

and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

The Top 10 is:

1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Barrett Hayton
4. Akil Thomas
5. Ryan McLeod
6. Serron Noel
7. Ryan Merkley
8. Rasmus Sandin
9. Ty Dellandrea
10. Allan McShane

See the link above for all the comments/reports and for the HM's.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2018

It's time for an update to our media/scout list. There's still lots of meaningful hockey to be played (rest of the CHL regular season, CHL playoffs, U18's), but it's always great to see how opinions change over the course of a season.

Interestingly enough, the names inside our top 10 haven't changed one bit. The order certainly has, but the ten names listed are the same ten names from November. And that order is as close as ever. Svechnikov and Bouchard are the top two names reasonably consistently. But 3-7 is pretty interchangeable depending on who you ask. Hayton, McLeod, Thomas, Merkley, and Noel are fighting for that third spot and look like potential first round picks. In fact, nine different OHL players received a vote inside the top 3. What does all this mean? That the OHL playoffs and Under 18's (for some players) will be very important for determining just how this list looks come June.

As always, it's important to note the contributors, as without them and their terrific insight, this article does not exist. For the midseason list, the following helped out:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)
Dominic Tiano - Writer for The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)
Dylan Galloway - OHL Scout for Future Considerations (@dylangalloway_)
Peter Kneulman - Provides OHL coverage at OHL Writer (@PeterKneulman)
Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)
Ryan Kennedy - Associate Senior Writer for The Hockey News(@THNRyanKennedy)
Peter Harling - Managing Editor of Dobber Prospects (@pharling)
Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)
Steve Kournianos - Founder of The Draft Analyst(@TheDraftAnalyst)
Mark Scheig - OHL writer for The Hockey Writers (@THWMark)
Tony Ambrogio - PA Announcer for the Mississauga Steelheads & TSN editor (@Tony_Ambrogio)
Todd Warriner - CHL analyst for Sportsnet, Colour analyst for the Windsor Spitfires (@Todd_Warriner)
Chris Peters - NHL Prospects Writer for ESPN (@chrismpeters)
Grant McCagg - President of Recrutes Hockey (@grantmccagg)
Mark McKelvie - Play by Play voice of the Owen Sound Attack (@Mark14McKelvie)
Steve Clark - Play by play voice of the Niagara IceDogs (@ClarkPlaybyPlay)
Mark Seidel - Scouting Director for NACS Hockey (@MarkSeidel)
and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

The Top 10 is:

1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Barrett Hayton
4. Akil Thomas
5. Ryan McLeod
6. Serron Noel
7. Ryan Merkley
8. Rasmus Sandin
9. Ty Dellandrea
10. Allan McShane

See the link above for all the comments/reports and for the HM's.

Brock, can you tell me a bit more about Sam Miletic -Niagra Ice Dogs - has there been a quieter player putting up these types of numbers the past 2 years in the OHL???? He has almost 90 points in 60 games!

Does this kid get drafted this year,?? it is only his second full season in the OHL and he is absolutely tearing it up. Last year he absolutely without a mention hit 37 goals...I am interested to know more about him as I can honestly say he has completely slipped under my radar.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Brock, can you tell me a bit more about Sam Miletic -Niagra Ice Dogs - has there been a quieter player putting up these types of numbers the past 2 years in the OHL???? He has almost 90 points in 60 games!

Does this kid get drafted this year,?? it is only his second full season in the OHL and he is absolutely tearing it up. Last year he absolutely without a mention hit 37 goals...I am interested to know more about him as I can honestly say he has completely slipped under my radar.
I believe he is already signed by Pittsburgh

Reactions: TheCoach and LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

It's his 3rd full season in the OHL and the year before that he was in the USHL because he was NCAA bound but then changed his mind. He's a '97 born (the oldest you can be in junior hockey) and is signed by Pittsburgh.

Penguins Sign Forward Sam Miletic to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->