Middle Earth: Shadow of War

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Did they change the combat from the first one?

I need a new game and I'm tempted to buy this one, but I absolutely hated the combat in the first game. It was completely nonsensical that it made boss fights 100 times easier by agroing the entire stronghold to build combo points(or w/e they were called) from the endless counter moves.

Honestly, I can notice a bit of a difference, but in all it is pretty similar tbh...

One thing I like though, is warlords usually don't have many minions with them when you fight them after you get into their lair. It's usually a pretty tough 1v1 fight (If you're on the hardest difficulty).

The nemesis difficulty definitely adds something to the game. It really ups the difficulty so the more important fights aren't ridiculously easy.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
It's grown on me quite a bit, but in some ways it is a bit of a slog. I keep putting several hours into it and feeling like I'm not getting anywhere, which is only bothersome because I don't have it for that long.

It's a very good game overall, just overwhelming.

How open world is the game? From the trailers I watch it seemed like all the castles/forts were instanced. Is that the case?

It's pretty open. There are several different regions within Mordor, and you unlock them as you progress. Missions in your quest list will say "Available in X" and "Available in Y" and give you the option to fast travel there.

Each of these environments is open, with its own map and lots of things to do (overwhelmingly so, to be honest -- at least at first). There's grasslands, a mountaintop, a volcano, a rocky area, and a manmade city.

Each area has its own collectibles and towers. Towers are your fast travel points.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
i hate all the shit talking the captains do before a fight. its especially annoying during the final Zog mission, which is a f***ing pain in the ass itself.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
i hate all the **** talking the captains do before a fight. its especially annoying during the final Zog mission, which is a ****ing pain in the ass itself.

Same here. The necromancer (Zog, IIRC) missions were all repetitive and shitty, though, too.

I think I unlocked the final mission yesterday. Will be finishing it today then trying Shadow Wars. But I have zero interest in grinding for maybe tens of hours, or paying any more money, so I'll likely be done after act 3 and a taste of Shadow Wars.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I simply cannot take the fortress in Seregost. The difficulty spike for the boss fight is just terrible. Between his various immunities and endless reinforcements, it is a cluster f***. Why can't I have allies in that fight? I literally have an army right outside the dorrr for christ sakes.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I feel like I may need to start over. What does it mean looking at the army screen and someone has x amount of turns left or someone is fighting another general?

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
It is getting quite tough to level up and upgrade gear. I'm at level 42 and in order to upgrade a legendary sword, I need to resurrect a level 40 slayer captain. In order to do that, I need to complete the pit fights in Minas Ithil, but the highest level fighter I have is level 42. The boss in the championship round is level 56.

I have no way to beat him until I hit level 50 or higher.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel like I may need to start over. What does it mean looking at the army screen and someone has x amount of turns left or someone is fighting another general?

You can do those missions but they advance time, so you can't do all of them if the 3 turns get used up before you get to one. You can also just advance time by visiting a tower. For the most part they are harmless if you have a majority or all of the captains dominated in a region. But you can lose good captains to missions. Lost the hardest one I ever fought (Blade Slayer I think, front block + vault breaker + dodge) to a graug hunt.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So, I'm confused. Dominating a captain, do you mean defeating them? Because starting off you can't take control them, I see you have to do the quest chain to be able to do that. I need to find a good startup guide lol. I never played the first game, but enjoying this one. Love Lord of the Rings, so this game is right up my alley.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Got the game on PC and I'm liking it a lot. Runs well on my PC. Some of the controls are a little wonky and take some getting used to.

I like the captains introducing themselves; lots of unique voices and dialogue. Pretty cool.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Got the game on PC and I'm liking it a lot. Runs well on my PC. Some of the controls are a little wonky and take some getting used to.

I like the captains introducing themselves; lots of unique voices and dialogue. Pretty cool.

Lmao how long you been playing? Cause you'll soon HATE those introductions when f***ing 3-4 of them interrupt your game every 2-3 seconds. So annoying since you can't skip them.

Reactions: SeidoN

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It is getting quite tough to level up and upgrade gear. I'm at level 42 and in order to upgrade a legendary sword, I need to resurrect a level 40 slayer captain. In order to do that, I need to complete the pit fights in Minas Ithil, but the highest level fighter I have is level 42. The boss in the championship round is level 56.

I have no way to beat him until I hit level 50 or higher.

A much, much lower captain can win if he has the direct counter to the enemy captain.

I brought a bodyguard that was immune to curse for the zog mission, was pretty easy.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
The battle reports and ally kill cams are quite annoying as well. The captain imtroductions are way worse, especially during a fight.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Frustrated with the nazgul mission where you have to banish one + two drakes at the same time. They aren't affected by the time slowing ability, so the drakes become a real pain in the ass real quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->