Middle Earth: Shadow of War

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
While I disliked microtransactions, I mostly ignored them. I continue to ignore lootboxes, but I think there's definitely a gambling element to consider here...which would be totally fine except for the fact that some of these games are played by people under legal gambling age. Doesn't make a ton of sense to my brain, but maybe I'm overblowing it?
Actually no, when you put it that way, it makes sense. They are games of chance for your entertainment that you pay $ for. Granted you don't win money back but you "win" a random product you pay for. Interesting take.

While I understand the dislike for the lootbox system, giving a game 0/10 is disingenuous at best.
Absolutely! I have stated more than a few times on this board that I hate micro-transactions that you have to pay for to beat a game or continue playing a game and planned DLC. Planned DLC to me just means they are shipping you only part of the game at full price.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Got the game (finally, screw you Walmart!).

The micro-transaction issue is an over exaggeration. I hate micro-transactions as much as the next person. And I wish it wasn't in any game at all, as far as single player goes - there is absolutely no issue. You progress the same as the first game. If people don't have the time to play as much as other people, let them pay for a cheat code to get the story. Whatever.

I can't comment on multiplayer... I would never play it in a game like this. Seems like it would be awful. I didn't even know there was multiplayer?

But if you're worried about "extra grind" due to micro-transactions... don't. If you liked the first game, you'll like this one and you don't need to pay a cent.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So without trying to spoil the game for myself I am reading some of the hooks of these reviews and the ones that give it a great score are talking about how improved the game is from the first, how fun it is and the gameplay. The ones giving it a bad score are complaining a lot about the loot boxes and not talking much about the gameplay... hmmm...

Just go on NeoGAF and see how they grovel at the feet of people like Jim Sterling to to understand why that is.

Sterling has riled the mob and websites know that focusing on the issue will bring in the clicks.

How drôle to see the plebe, thinking itself morally superior, be manipulated so easily.

That being said, loot boxes are lame.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Just go on NeoGAF and see how they grovel at the feet of people like Jim Sterling to to understand why that is.

Sterling has riled the mob and websites know that focusing on the issue will bring in the clicks.

How drôle to see the plebe, thinking itself morally superior, be manipulated so easily.

That being said, loot boxes are lame.
Agreed. I am not even a fan of loot boxes and such that improve your character. I hate that crap. But so far to me, playing this game - it's a non-factor and easy to avoid.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I"m still on the fence about this one. I had a lot of fun playing the first game but the ending/story left me a little dissapointed.

How is the actual story in this one??? or is it just kill 5 war chiefs and a QTE then credits like the last game.

The fortress sieges seem cool but I feel like after the first 4 they might get tiring, even tho each one will be different in some capacity.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I can't stand Jim Sterling

Ended up getting the game today. Haven't started it yet, though. I have a couple that may take priority.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Agreed. I am not even a fan of loot boxes and such that improve your character. I hate that crap. But so far to me, playing this game - it's a non-factor and easy to avoid.

Well that's kind of a key point here. I've barely looked at this game and likely won't play it (though I really like the concept of the Nemesis system in general), you aren't going to find any successful games that rely on these things that don't make it easy up front. If WB is going to try and hook you into buying their loot boxes, they'll do it near the end of the game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My problem with the microtransaction is it actively incentivizes free to play progression. In other words in a game like NBA 2k My Career mode, the story mode equivalent for the NBA 2k series, its next to impossible to get your character past 70 overall without spending money on microtransactions or dozens of hours grinding. I can easily see that creeping into this type of game.

But I'm sure thats been said a million times, all that said, it wasn't a game that i was super excited about in the first place. I found the first game very bland. The whole thing just turned me off of it that much more.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Actually no, when you put it that way, it makes sense. They are games of chance for your entertainment that you pay $ for. Granted you don't win money back but you "win" a random product you pay for. Interesting take.

Well good to know I'm not completely crazy. :laugh:

I think the ESRB should slap an AO rating on any game with purchasable loot boxes to at least restrict this stuff to 18+. Might make developers/publishers (and parents for that matter) think twice about this stuff.

Even better: make them run one of those "play within your means" ads at the start of the game.

We all laughed at Konami for switching from video games to video game themed pachinko machines. Joke's on us: all big publishers did that. :laugh:

Absolutely! I have stated more than a few times on this board that I hate micro-transactions that you have to pay for to beat a game or continue playing a game and planned DLC. Planned DLC to me just means they are shipping you only part of the game at full price.

I don't mind planned DLC so long as the base game you are sold is a complete experience. I hate when they hide already finished key parts of the game behind pay walls (like one of my favourite games of all time, Mass Effect 3, did).

Although why anybody buys those season passes is beyond me....

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
My problem with the microtransaction is it actively incentivizes free to play progression. In other words in a game like NBA 2k My Career mode, the story mode equivalent for the NBA 2k series, its next to impossible to get your character past 70 overall without spending money on microtransactions or dozens of hours grinding. I can easily see that creeping into this type of game.

But I'm sure thats been said a million times, all that said, it wasn't a game that i was super excited about in the first place. I found the first game very bland. The whole thing just turned me off of it that much more.

It will likely be in just about every type of game soon. At it's worst like in NBA 2K it comes down to either paying money to improve your stats (how is that fun?) or grinding to improve your stats (how is that fun?), either way - no fun to be had. These pay to win progression systems just result in games that aren't fun or rewarding.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I dont own a PS4 or Xbone and with everything I hear about all these "AAA" titles being loaded with micro transactions I feel absolutely no compulsion to buy one.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I dont own a PS4 or Xbone and with everything I hear about all these "AAA" titles being loaded with micro transactions I feel absolutely no compulsion to buy one.

I'm definitely happy with having a PC right now, there are still plenty of games to play there that don't have them. As well as no bogus fee to play online games and usually better sales on games. If I was to get a console this generation it would be the Switch, but I have no real interest in playing on any console these days.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I love my Switch but I think I will compliment it soon enough with a nice gaming PC.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Played a few hours. game is awesome so far. every bit as good as the first and then some.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Game is amazing. I love it. Took everything the first did well and poorly and improved it 10 fold. Totally worth it. Love the new nemesis system. Game is great

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Well good to know I'm not completely crazy. :laugh:

I think the ESRB should slap an AO rating on any game with purchasable loot boxes to at least restrict this stuff to 18+. Might make developers/publishers (and parents for that matter) think twice about this stuff.

Even better: make them run one of those "play within your means" ads at the start of the game.

Interesting line of thought. Should this standard be applied to Pokemon cards? Hockey cards? It's essentially the same principle - pay for a random product.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Interesting line of thought. Should this standard be applied to Pokemon cards? Hockey cards? It's essentially the same principle - pay for a random product.

Fair point.

Young me would agree that trading cards had an addictive gambling element that he blew most of his money on back in the day. :laugh:

Worth thinking about, at any rate.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I didn't like it a lot at first. The opening mission was mediocre, then it dropped Talion into a city with enemies everywhere. I say that as a bad thing, because it was overwhelming. One of the main problems with the first game was that it would throw tons and tons of enemies at you at once, and didn't have enough combat variety to keep that from being repetitive or frustrating. So far, this one shares some of that issue, too.

That said, it's gotten better and I've started to enjoy it a lot more (I'm maybe near the end of Act 1, but have been doing lots of side stuff, too). It is a bit dated, though, gameplay wise and it's not all that fun when you have tons of enemies chasing you and can only truly heal by almost dying or sneaking up on an enemy and pressing a button to drain them.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I didn't like it a lot at first. The opening mission was mediocre, then it dropped Talion into a city with enemies everywhere. I say that as a bad thing, because it was overwhelming. One of the main problems with the first game was that it would throw tons and tons of enemies at you at once, and didn't have enough combat variety to keep that from being repetitive or frustrating. So far, this one shares some of that issue, too.

That said, it's gotten better and I've started to enjoy it a lot more (I'm maybe near the end of Act 1, but have been doing lots of side stuff, too). It is a bit dated, though, gameplay wise and it's not all that fun when you have tons of enemies chasing you and can only truly heal by almost dying or sneaking up on an enemy and pressing a button to drain them.

The 1st one is surprisingly hard at the beginning, but once you can lower your hit streak for executions and do multiple executions in a row you basically become an un-killable god of death.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Bruz is awesome.

That tune will change....keep playing heh.

Hilarious all the hate from people who never touched that game.

Game is 20x better than the first. Plays way better, story is better, games way bigger with way more to do. Nemesis system is improved tenfold.

Those micro transactions everyone is whining about don't affect the game at all. You can get ALL of the same Shit by playing and even get the "real" money from doing challenges.

Glad I didn't listen to the mindless hate people are cluelessly spewing because the game is amazing and I've enjoyed every second of it.

Nemesis difficulty is awesome, you don't just walk through and dominate everyone like it's nothing.

People should be boycotting Battlefront 2 10x more than this game, THAT is the definition of f***ing your fan base over there. The beta proved that to me big time.

Shadow of War is an exceptional game. I figure a lot more people will pick it up when they realize all that garbage they read hardly affects anything. Simple, don't buy the loot boxes, play the game and get them that way. Problem solved.....just like not buying packs in Ultimate Team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This is the first game I've actually thoroughly enjoyed in a long time.

Great story, great recruiting and sieging system.

Good advancement and levelling up system..

Good mix of different orcs so it's not too repetitive. Quite exciting when you get a legendary orc.

It's genuinely funny in some parts. Some of the comments the Orcs make are hilarious.

And yeah, Bruz is great.

Play it. You won't regret it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Did they change the combat from the first one?

I need a new game and I'm tempted to buy this one, but I absolutely hated the combat in the first game. It was completely nonsensical that it made boss fights 100 times easier by agroing the entire stronghold to build combo points(or w/e they were called) from the endless counter moves.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I believe its the same combat, I agree, was pretty terrible.

I will say I'm very impressed with this game on the Xbox One X, looks like its on very high settings at very close to 4K. Thats pretty great performance for a $500 box

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad