Middle Earth: Shadow of War

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Game releases soon, and reviews are coming out that praise the gameplay, setting, and the enhancements to the nemesis system. More than a few are condemning the weak story, micro-transactions, and loot boxes that introduce potentially balance-affecting mechanics to the online multiplayer mode. However, now it's come out that the true ending of the game is locked behind a tedious grind that you can expedite by purchasing loot boxes.

This is a good way to ensure that you'll never see any of my money.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Looks like it’s a game you get for like 10 dollars a year or so later when they fix everything

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea I didn't really love the first one, and the loot box stuff in this one is kind of a turn off. I'll probably get it on PC in like a year or so for $20.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I liked the first one, but once I was done with it and watched the credits roll I hardly felt like going back. It was a good early life title for the consoles, but nothing too too special looking back. It needed more depth and a more interesting world/campaign.

This one has intrigued me. Since I liked the first I'm looking forward to playing it, but I will not spend a cent on loot boxes. It's a practice I've never supported and dislike. However, I'm not going to stop myself from being able to play the game because of them.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I wasn't going to get the game anyway, but something like this definitely doesn't make me want it. Talk about a terrible VO choice.

Reactions: Breakdowns

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Didn't mind the first one. I thought it was pretty good mindless fun. The combat leveling and combat skills where fantastic. plus you could implement a lot of stealth. Storyline was crap but this feels like a game that you just throw on for an hour to kick some ass and forget about the world. I will probably pick it up but just like others have stated at a lower price point then release.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Loved the first one. Has a great cult following too.

This one looks fantastic! Already preordered with Xbox play anywhere and preloaded on my PC and Xbox One. Should be good times! Very unique game.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Played an hour and so far it seems pretty much the same as the first game but with more group combat (with NPC's). I haven't encountered anything with loot crates but haven't looked for it either.

Only thing I'm a little concerned about is the map feels constrained so far and not overly open-world, but that hopefully is because I'm barely through the intro stuff.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Played an hour and so far it seems pretty much the same as the first game but with more group combat (with NPC's). I haven't encountered anything with loot crates but haven't looked for it either.

Only thing I'm a little concerned about is the map feels constrained so far and not overly open-world, but that hopefully is because I'm barely through the intro stuff.

sounds interesting. keep us posted.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Great game so far. IF you liked the first one, it plays a lot like that. I can see where the map feels "constrained" but I am pretty sure its going to open up even bigger after the first area where you travel between the battles. I personally don't feel that it is "constrained" though. I think it feels that way because the first area you are in is in a city so it almost feels like an assassins creed game in that regard. Like just one of the towns you visit in your travels. Running around the streets and climbing buildings - it definitely doesn't feel very open but it is. You move so freely around it and even into the outskirts of the town.

There's TONS to do just in this first area. I have done maybe 3 main quests and the res of the time just running around hunting captains around the town which is a blast!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I didn't enjoy the first one so I won't be getting this one, but rumour has it they made the grind near the end very tedious in the hopes that people partake of lootboxes. Hoping that's not the case.

Dunno if anyone cares, but figured it was worth mentioning if anyone is on the fence.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I hope not. I do my very best not to spoil games I am interested in so I honestly don't know about the maps / grinding or any of that. The good news is you can buy crates with in-game currency which I guess could be considered grinding? You can change the difficulty level too so I can't image it's going to be that bad.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I refuse to support their loot crate bull crap, so I definitely will not be buying this at full price. 2 years down the road when it's 5 bucks on a Steam sale is when I'll get this.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
the last one from what I remember didn't have any real "grinding" how was this version changed? I heard about the loot boxes and such but do you not receive weapons and upgrades from captains like the previous game?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
the last one from what I remember didn't have any real "grinding" how was this version changed? I heard about the loot boxes and such but do you not receive weapons and upgrades from captains like the previous game?
Like I said I don't spoil things for myself so I don't know how / if there is any grinding. The world is kind of open and you choose when and how to do quests or you can run around and kill orc's / get intel on captains and hunt them down at your own pace. Like I said there is lots to do and I honestly will be surprised if there is any grinding. So far, and yes I am still very early in the game I feel like this crate thing people are getting all up in arms about is being blown out of proportion. I am doing just fine without the need for crates and I have already found "epic" gear by just killing orcs and I am sure there will be higher levels of rarity as I play. No crates needed.

So yes, you still receive great gear without loot boxes. I probably wouldn't even think much about the loot boxes if I wasn't on the internet seeing people complain about it lol.

I am thinking you may want to purchase (with in game money or real money) loot boxes more for the online portion. Just so far in single player I have seen 0 reason to buy a loot box.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

I'm no expert, but from what I understand tackling some of the more elite orc bases requires having a certain level of orcs on your team (Let's Go Bright Lord!). The end ones are apparently very/impossibly difficult without legendary orcs, which can be acquired via lootboxes. Rumour has it they take a lot of grinding to get to if you don't partake....particularly if you have rotten luck.

I don't own the game - I'm just regurgitating what I've heard/read so...heaping grains of salt and all that.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm no expert, but from what I understand tackling some of the more elite orc bases requires having a certain level of orcs on your team (Let's Go Bright Lord!). The end ones are apparently very/impossibly difficult without legendary orcs, which can be acquired via lootboxes. Rumour has it they take a lot of grinding to get to if you don't partake.

I don't own the game - I'm just regurgitating what I've heard/read so...heaping grains of salt and all that.

got ya. So is it actually "grinding" or is it just performing the task of finding and acquiring a legendary orc for your "team".

the more I hear the more is sounds like the loot boxes are just for lazy players that want to just straight line it through the game as fast as possible.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
got ya. So is it actually "grinding" or is it just performing the task of finding and acquiring a legendary orc for your "team".

the more I hear the more is sounds like the loot boxes are just for lazy players that want to just straight line it through the game as fast as possible.
Again I am early in the game and haven't read much about whats going to happen later on in the game but that's the feeling I get.

It would be the dumbest move to more or less force people to buy loot crates or grind to possibly earn a chance and getting a loot crate that could possibly have what you need to progress through the story. I am not saying something that has never been tried or isn't in play here. I just don't see it yet. That game would be trashed so quickly by professional media so fast.

It has an 85 on metacritic right now so I would not believe that to be the case. The general consensus from professional reviewers are that the crates are as you say, if you want to be lazy and just b-line it to the end without actually playing the game as intended.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

More the latter, but I think the latter is accomplished by the former?

True, but then it makes you wonder why people pay for a game, and then pay to skip that game.

According to some reviews, the game is fantastic until near the end. WB has been accused of "hiding" the end of the game behind a wall of tedious game play or a pay wall. Whether that's just blustering or actually a problem remains to be seen.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
More the latter, but I think the latter is accomplished by the former?

True, but then it makes you wonder why people pay for a game, and then pay to skip that game.

According to some reviews, the game is fantastic until near the end. WB has been accused of "hiding" the end of the game behind a wall of tedious game play or a pay wall.

That's exactly what people do though. They want to brag to their friends about finishing it or how awesome they were at finishing it. Its the reason people pay real money for crates in games like Rocket League and Overwatch which are completely 100% cosmetic changes to your characters / cars. They pay to be / look more badass than their friends.

Theres a whole psychology around paying for digital content / DLC and micro-transactions. Its why most phone / tablet games are "Free" but you pay real money to get in-game currency to pay for things like "play the next level in an hour or pay 10 gems and play now!" or spend those gems on powerups and such. If that stuff didn't work they wouldn't keep doing it. Everyone complains about that stuff but someone must be paying for it or they wouldn't keep doing it.

/rant.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So without trying to spoil the game for myself I am reading some of the hooks of these reviews and the ones that give it a great score are talking about how improved the game is from the first, how fun it is and the gameplay. The ones giving it a bad score are complaining a lot about the loot boxes and not talking much about the gameplay... hmmm...

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
That's exactly what people do though. They want to brag to their friends about finishing it or how awesome they were at finishing it. Its the reason people pay real money for crates in games like Rocket League and Overwatch which are completely 100% cosmetic changes to your characters / cars. They pay to be / look more badass than their friends.

Theres a whole psychology around paying for digital content / DLC and micro-transactions. Its why most phone / tablet games are "Free" but you pay real money to get in-game currency to pay for things like "play the next level in an hour or pay 10 gems and play now!" or spend those gems on powerups and such. If that stuff didn't work they wouldn't keep doing it. Everyone complains about that stuff but someone must be paying for it or they wouldn't keep doing it.

/rant.

Well there's certainly an exploitative psychology that goes along with all this stuff. I'm actually of the opinion this stuff should be illegal in games rated below gambling age....or at least regulated. I might be in a minority there.

That said, I don't understand it because I don't really have a gambling personality. I lost like $5 last time I was in Vegas and immediately tapped out. :laugh:

At least for Overwatch and Rocket League I can safely ignore it and just play the game. If they integrate it into the game (looking at you Battlefront II) it's much harder to ignore.

Point for me is the enjoyment should be in playing the game, and if you're tempted to fast track it I feel like that's due to poor design. I hope it's overblown in this game and people can actually just enjoy it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
So without trying to spoil the game for myself I am reading some of the hooks of these reviews and the ones that give it a great score are talking about how improved the game is from the first, how fun it is and the gameplay. The ones giving it a bad score are complaining a lot about the loot boxes and not talking much about the gameplay... hmmm...

Yeah the review bombing over this is strong.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well there's certainly an exploitative psychology that goes along with all this stuff. I'm actually of the opinion this stuff should be illegal in games rated below gambling age....or at least regulated. I might be in a minority there.

That said, I don't understand it because I don't really have a gambling personality. I lost like $5 last time I was in Vegas and immediately tapped out. :laugh:

At least for Overwatch and Rocket League I can safely ignore it and just play the game. If they integrate it into the game (looking at you Battlefront II) it's much harder to ignore.

Point for me is the enjoyment should be in playing the game, and if you're tempted to fast track it I feel like that's due to poor design. I hope it's overblown in this game and people can actually just enjoy it.
I don't know about regulating it or making it illegal. I am a fan of free market and making money off of stupid people. Besides, you start regulating stuff like that, then gambling regulations would have to get much more severe you are right on with comparing these. I mean that is a proven addiction but its a huge market. Much like how video games are.

I will agree it may be harder to ignore because its always that tempt to make your guy better with just the click of a button. But like you said you lost $5 and tapped out. For me its easy to get into the game and completely ignore the loot boxes. You wont even see any unless you go to the market page.

Yeah the review bombing over this is strong.

Yup. Happens with lots of games. PS vs Xbox fanboys... etc. Seems even some pro reviewers are trying to get in on the action this time most likely just to save face because a lot of the hate has nothing to do with the gameplay at all. It's sad really.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I don't know about regulating it or making it illegal. I am a fan of free market and making money off of stupid people. Besides, you start regulating stuff like that, then gambling regulations would have to get much more severe you are right on with comparing these. I mean that is a proven addiction but its a huge market. Much like how video games are.

While I disliked microtransactions, I mostly ignored them. I continue to ignore lootboxes, but I think there's definitely a gambling element to consider here...which would be totally fine except for the fact that some of these games are played by people under legal gambling age. Doesn't make a ton of sense to my brain, but maybe I'm overblowing it?

Yup. Happens with lots of games. PS vs Xbox fanboys... etc. Seems even some pro reviewers are trying to get in on the action this time most likely just to save face because a lot of the hate has nothing to do with the gameplay at all. It's sad really.

While I understand the dislike for the lootbox system, giving a game 0/10 is disingenuous at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->