Mid-season NHL All-Star Teams

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Exactly as it says on the tin. Lot of deserving candidates so far.

Hard to pick in several positions. My Hart voting for example would for sure be in a different order (I would vote Tavares higher for Hart than Stamkos+McDavid... but I think Stamkos has objectively been more 'outstanding' as an individual.)

Here are mine:

AS-1:

Giroux - Stamkos - Kucherov
Hedman - Doughty
Vasilevskiy

AS-2:

Ovechkin - MacKinnon - Kane
Pietrangelo - Klingberg
Crawford

AS-3:
Gaudreau - McDavid - Tarasenko
Josi - Subban
Quick

Interested to see others picks.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ovechkin--Tavares--Kucherov
Hedman--Doughty
Vasilevskiy

Gaudreau--Stamkos--Bailey
Pietrangelo--Subban
Rask

Reactions: Zuluss

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Hard to pick in several positions. My Hart voting for example would for sure be in a different order (I would vote Tavares higher for Hart than Stamkos+McDavid... but I think Stamkos has objectively been more 'outstanding' as an individual.)

Here are mine:

AS-1:

Hedman - Doughty
Vasilevskiy

AS-2:

Pietrangelo - Klingberg
Crawford

AS-3:
Josi - Subban
Quick

I see no argument for Kane and Tarasenko over Bailey, Voracek, Wheeler or Kessel at this point.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I see no argument for Kane and Tarasenko over Bailey, Voracek, Wheeler or Kessel at this point.

Well they have best CF% of any of those guys, best IXGF too, best ICF/60, best GS/60. Though they have played easier minutes than the others (apart from Kessel)

Voracek was hardest to leave off for them. But watching the Flyers he has been the 3rd best player on his most regular line line.

Bailey and Kessel have pretty inferior underlying stats to those guys.

Wheeler is playing center. I did think about him at 3RW (with Voracek).

I mean, I could say the same about leaving Giroux off for Ovechkin and Gaudreau...

Giroux has:

More points
More 5v5 P/60
Better CF% (and better rel)
Better GF% (and better rel)
Better ExGF% (and better rel)

While playing tougher minutes than both. (10-12% less rel zone starts than both and tougher QoC.)

Reactions: Rebels57

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Well they have best CF% of any of those guys, best IXGF too, best ICF/60, best GS/60. Though they have played easier minutes than the others (apart from Kessel)

Voracek was hardest to leave off for them. But watching the Flyers he has been the 3rd best player on his most regular line line.

I mean, I could say the same about leaving Giroux off for Ovechkin and Gaudreau...

Giroux has:

More points
More 5v5 P/60

While playing tougher minutes than both. (10-12% less rel zone starts than both and tougher QoC.)

You're thinking way too hard. Practically no one who votes cares about things like CF%, GF% or any of those fancy stats. Kane and Tarasenko might get some pity votes right now, but that's about it. Bailey is 2nd in pts, when was the last time someone that high wasn't on the AST? Wheeler has been playing C for like a week. Kessel has been better than both too.

Gaudreau idk, but Ovechkin has scored 20%+ of the caps goals, other than Boeser no one else is particularly close to that. He is the leading goal scorer in the NHL and has double the goals of Giroux. 5 pts isn't going to get Giroux ahead, check the 14/15 LW AST voting for confirmation of how much more valuable a big goal lead is compared to a slight pt advantage. Also I'm pretty sure people will still vote Giroux as a C anyway so he's irrelevant for the LW discussion.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
from the ducks I would love to see Gibson. he has been enormous for the ducks and is light years better than he has ever in the past. only other player worth mentioning is rakell imo. maybe lindholm.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
You're thinking way too hard. Practically no one who votes cares about things like CF%, GF% or any of those fancy stats. Kane and Tarasenko might get some pity votes right now, but that's about it. Bailey is 2nd in pts, when was the last time someone that high wasn't on the AST? Wheeler has been playing C for like a week. Kessel has been better than both too.

Gaudreau idk, but Ovechkin has scored 20%+ of the caps goals, other than Boeser no one else is particularly close to that. He is the leading goal scorer in the NHL and has double the goals of Giroux. 5 pts isn't going to get Giroux ahead, check the 14/15 LW AST voting for confirmation of how much more valuable a big goal lead is compared to a slight pt advantage. Also I'm pretty sure people will still vote Giroux as a C anyway so he's irrelevant for the LW discussion.

However, this is how I would vote, based on all the available data, if I had a vote.

And the people who vote are beginning to care a lot, lot more about such stats in the last few years.

The PHWA are also trying to clamp down on the 'votes at multiple position' thing since the Ovechkin debacle of 2012-13 where he got voted onto 1 team at LW and one at RW. And then Taylor Hall almost missing a bonus due to some writers lack of knowledge. Last few years have been very mess free. Hopefully that happens with Giroux this year. He is deserving right now of being on one of the top two teams.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Ovechkin - Tavares - Kucherov
Hedman - Pietrangelo
Vasilevskiy

Gaudreau - Stamkos - Wheeler
Klingberg - Doughty
Crawford

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016

Giroux has:

More points
More 5v5 P/60

Wheeler has played all of three games as a centre and only because of Scheifele's injury.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Hall is better than Gaudreau. There is not one shred of evidence to prove otherwise. Hall has scored more than him, is far better 5v5, and is leading his team further. He has also done it longer and sustains a higher PPG and season totals.

Reactions: Devonator

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Here are mine:

AS-1:

Hedman - Doughty
Vasilevskiy

AS-2:

Pietrangelo - Klingberg
Crawford

AS-3:
Josi - Subban
Quick

Is Giroux playing left wing???

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hall is better than Gaudreau. There is not one shred of evidence to prove otherwise. Hall has scored more than him, is far better 5v5, and is leading his team further. He has also done it longer and sustains a higher PPG and season totals.

Faked news....You shouldnt make up shit to make your point.

Ever since Gaudreau entered the league, he had outscored Hall every season including the current one.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Taylor Hall since 2014-15 has something like 75 goals and 195 points in 246 games

Gaudreau since 2014-15 has 86 goals and 250 points in 272 games

Hall has '30 gpg per game and .79 ppg sincer 14-15

Gaudreau has .31 gpg and .919 ppg since 14-15

Taylor Hall has never made the playoffs and has no goals no assists and no points and no wins in the playoffs

Gaudreau has 15 playoff games and has 4 goals and 11 points and made the second round.

So why did I put in 2014-15 as the starting point, because that's when Gaudreau entered the league.

so pretty much everything you've said is wrong.

Reactions: Deam78

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd really like to hear an argument for Stamkos over MacKinnon. I can get JT to a degree, but Stamkos? No way. Also, Subban > Klingberg.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Taylor Hall since 2014-15 has something like 75 goals and 195 points in 246 games

Gaudreau since 2014-15 has 86 goals and 250 points in 272 games

Hall has '30 gpg per game and .79 ppg sincer 14-15

Gaudreau has .31 gpg and .919 ppg since 14-15

Taylor Hall has never made the playoffs and has no goals no assists and no points and no wins in the playoffs

Gaudreau has 15 playoff games and has 4 goals and 11 points and made the second round.

So why did I put in 2014-15 as the starting point, because that's when Gaudreau entered the league.

so pretty much everything you've said is wrong.
So basically Gaudreau played more games since entering the league

Nice try buddy. Hall scored an 80 point season right before you conveniently cut off at he 2014-15 seasons. Hall scores more 5v5, has 493 games compared to Gaudreau’s 273 games and theyre about even in PPG, and Hall drives possession more.

You tried but failed.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

Giroux has:

More points
More 5v5 P/60

Becomes a bit tricky when you start using advanced stats. Personally, ixgf is not a stat I would use here as the votes should be based on actual results and not expected results. Though I guess you could say that about corsi too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->