Mid-Season 2017-18 Top 10 Prospects - Detroit Red Wings #9 Prospect

Who is the Detroit Red Wings #9 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Filip Hronek - RD - 20 - 6'0" 178lbs. Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic - 42.0%
2.) Michael Rasmussen - C - 18 - 6'6" 221 lbs. Surrey, BC, Canada - 53.6%
3.) Dennis Cholowski - LD - 19 - 6'1" 200 lbs. Langley, BC, Canada - 94.1%
4.) Evgeny Svechnikov - RW/LW - 21 - 6'3" 208 lbs, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia - 87.5%
5.) Vili Saarijarvi - RD - 20 - 5'10" 178 lbs, Rovaniemi, Finland 63.3%
6.) Joe Hicketts - D - 21 - 5'8" 180 lbs Kamloops, BC, Canada 43.2%
7.) Gustav Lindstrom - RD - 19 - 6'2" 187 lbs, Östervåla, Sweden 27.0%
8.) Dominic Turgeon - C - 21 - 6'2" 203 lbs, Pointe-Clare, QC, Canada 18.6%

Turgeon wins round #8

The add is Setkov

As always vote, offer an add if you have one and discuss.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Filip Larsson is 16-7, with a 1.57 gaa and a 0.943 save% How are people still not voting for him??

I honestly do not understand the criteria we are supposed to be using on these polls. Is it NHL readiness or NHL ceiling or chances of making the NHL? More clarification is needed in order to get accurate results.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Filip Larsson is 16-7, with a 1.57 gaa and a 0.943 save% How are people still not voting for him??

I honestly do not understand the criteria we are supposed to be using on these polls. Is it NHL readiness or NHL ceiling or chances of making the NHL? More clarification is needed in order to get accurate results.
Just guessing, but probably because he's a goalie (hard to predict?) and still in the USHL which to some may not give an accurate idea of him as a prospect.

I think most vote based on an overall estimate of who's the best prospect, which likely includes all the factors you mentioned.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

USHL is tough to predict.
Let's see how he looks after a year of college.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Patrick Holway has 18 points in 26 games in his 2nd year in the NCAA as a defensmen. How are people not voting for him?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Patrick Holway has 18 points in 26 games in his 2nd year in the NCAA as a defensmen. How are people not voting for him?

I'm not voting for him because I have Smith a little higher, but I would have voted for him before Turgeon, Lindstrom, and Hicketts.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I'm sure some people are taking more into account then just the current season. Plus, its the NCAA, not AHL, if he was doing this in the AHL, I'm sure it would be a different story.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Maybe it won't matter, look at how people are ignoring the guys from Maine in this poll...:huh:

I'll admit, as a Canadian, I am probably biased against NCAA prospects for lack of exposure/coverage. There are always some NCAA players that I don't know much about that end up having good NHL careers. I had no idea who Joe Pavelski was, and then out of nowhere he made the Sharks, and had a solid rookie season. I do follow prospects closely, but will admit I don't follow NCAA prospects as much as I should.

Pearson and Holway look like they have some nice stats, but I really couldn't tell you anything specific regarding either of their games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting to me that last year Pearson was almost 2:1 goals to assists, and now this year he is like over 3:1 assist to goal ratio. 6g/20a this year, versus 14g/8a last year. I'm wondering if he is just a bit snakebitten this year, if his goal totals were higher he would be up there with the top scorers.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'll vote for Holway. I really never paid any attention to him, but those stats are impressive. But is he or will he sign? Not going to get too hyped, too soon after the de Haas thing.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

One of the reasons could be that he's not having a better season statistically than his teammate Pearson, who's also a year younger than Holway. Pearson is third in Hockey East with 18ESP (tied with Canucks prospect Gaudette) and leads all Freshmen/Sophomores in scoring. He's also excellent on faceoffs, co-captain, plays with an edge and for half the season couldn't buy a goal. Snake-bitten for sure. Holway is having a really good season too. Unless you've seen them both at a Development Camp and like Holway's skating a lot better, there's not much reason to vote him ahead of Pearson. It's not that weird the two Maine guys are not getting much love. Just tough to compare them to OHL guys like Sambrook and Smith who are younger and easier to watch play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->