OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
No way, man. Michigan has beaten 1 ranked opponent and lost to an unranked team. Both State Penn and Bucky have top ten conquests under their belts. If the Badgers prevail in the B1g final, that would be the 4th top 10 team they beat this season. No way should UM leapfrog either team.

What's their record against Michigan this season?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The internet seems to agree that the officiating was embarrassingly bad.

Yeah, Michigan let them back in the game but OSU had plenty of help.

It was a tough loss to swallow. But let's not act like any other fan base wouldn't be complaining about officiating.

Yeah, that's what fanbases do. I didn't once indicate it was solely a UM thing.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I agree that if everything happens like it's supposed to. Michigan just doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

But I'll be damned if they aren't ACTUALLY one of the 4 best teams in the country.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
What's their record against Michigan this season?

What are their chances of winning the B1g title game to earn a playoff spot? What are their respective records against Iowa, how many teams were ranked at the time they beat them? Head to head is not a be-all for determining these issues.

If Washington wins, the point is moot anyway.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Michigan comes in at 5 in new CFP poll. If Colorado beats Washington Michigan is in...Charge nference Championships are going to mean little unless teams 2-4 are razor thin close to each other. Chairman said so tonight.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Michigan comes in at 5 in new CFP poll. If Colorado beats Washington Michigan is in...Charge nference Championships are going to mean little unless teams 2-4 are razor thin close to each other. Chairman said so tonight.

Wisc might get the nod. But because they didn't win a game between Ohio or Michigan I think they get left out

Penn state might. But that blowout to Michigan probably ends them

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Hell, I thought the Lions were going to lose today too.

They still have a tough road ahead with NYG and Dallas on the road and Green Bay to end the season. If they want to be taken seriously around here, they can't revert back to same old Lions next week.

Green Bay has Seattle at home. A loss there benefits Detroit a lot if they can hold serve.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This game smelled like the ultimate letdown but they were really solid start to finish. This was their best all-around game of the year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why was New Orleans favored that heavily? Lmao those experts are stupid

They have a worse dfence then Detroit! Was Brees supposed to destroy Stafford today?

I chalked this one as a w weeks ago. Please give me their jobs

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Why was New Orleans favored that heavily? Lmao those experts are stupid

They have a worse dfence then Detroit! Was Brees supposed to destroy Stafford today?

I chalked this one as a w weeks ago. Please give me their jobs

Because they average like 35 pts per game at home, and there's no way our underwhelming offense could keep up with that

I do think experts underrated our defense. We started out awful (last in the league awful) but have improved every week. The D is playing fantastic the past 4 games or so. If they keep improving we could have an exciting playoff run

Stafford is probably the best athlete in Detroit at the moment. Dude is a ****ing leader out there. It's his team now.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Stafford is probably the best athlete in Detroit at the moment. Dude is a ****ing leader out there. It's his team now.

Yup, this guy is impressive.

Talked to a friend a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly, he's more of a NFL addict. Personally, I'm spending more time on the NHL and watch rarely Football games, Lions aside. He couldn't really understand why one of the reasons for really liking the Lions right now, is Stafford. Guess to some guys cheering for other teams, the Lions were just about Megatron and they aren't really paying attention right now & tend to underrate this guy.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Until recently Stafford wasn't exactly a world beater out there. Him being underrated this year has to do with his past work.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Until recently Stafford wasn't exactly a world beater out there. Him being underrated this year has to do with his past work.

I agree. He had one great season, 2011, then followed that up with two mediocre seasons

Caldwell comes in and makes him more efficient in 2014 (less turnovers, higher completion %) but he still wasn't lighting it up really

2015 was bad until cooter came in, and since then Stafford has been amazing

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
That's why I put emphasis on the "right now". There's no way around acknowledging what he means for this team this season.
And I'm surprised that some don't see it yet - no matter how much he looked like that before. From someone who follows closely, I'd expect to notice his progress.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
When it comes to Stafford, I don't think he'll be the reason they get knocked out of the playoffs or don't win the division. They're still getting by with a suspect defense. I don't know how they're doing it with basically no linebackers.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
When it comes to Stafford, I don't think he'll be the reason they get knocked out of the playoffs or don't win the division. They're still getting by with a suspect defense. I don't know how they're doing it with basically no linebackers.

I wouldnt say theyre getting by. The secondary is playing light out and even without sacks the d line is getting pressure. They have one of the best defenses in football the last 4 or 5 weeks and just made the number 1 offense in the league look bad. It was what, 2 years ago when the lions had the second best D in the league just short of Seattle?

It shouldnt be surprising that this years defense is solid. They arent absolutely amazing but theyre solid and the offense is solid. Not really a surprise the Lions are doing what theyve done this year but because its the lions people will always be iffy on them. Prater has also been a stud. Denver cutting him when they did couldnt have worked out better for the Lions

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Sounds like the Tigers are backpedaling on the fire sale.

The speculation is that Gores and/or Gilbert are gearing up to buy the team and they're comfortable with the payroll as it stands today.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Sounds like the Tigers are backpedaling on the fire sale.

The speculation is that Gores and/or Gilbert are gearing up to buy the team and they're comfortable with the payroll as it stands today.

I still don't see the impression that there was ever going to be a real firesale. Yeah, they'd listen to offers for anyone, but by all accounts the asking prices were quite high. I'm thinking they are backing off the trade front because the market just isn't there and they won't get enough value back in a deal.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Because they average like 35 pts per game at home, and there's no way our underwhelming offense could keep up with that

I do think experts underrated our defense. We started out awful (last in the league awful) but have improved every week. The D is playing fantastic the past 4 games or so. If they keep improving we could have an exciting playoff run

Ok? Brees and stafford are about equal. Detroit has a better dfence and a better record

I don't see how everybody picks the saints and not one picks Detroit. I mean it was pretty obvious that Detroit was gonna win. It wasn't gonna be a blowout :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->