OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
So, Cleveland is going to the Series. How much will it sting if they win it all? At that point, I have to wonder if they'll pull the Royals and fallback down to earth afterward. Kinda disappointing the Tigers were so good for so long just to see teams from their own division step up and win (or possibly win) just to disappear again.

I'm not surprised Cleveland is there. They had the best starting rotation in the AL, if not the league, with a bullet. Detroit once had that claim; the difference is The Tribe has a stacked bullpen as well and is a defensive machine. The Tigs never really had all the components lined up, especially the all-important pen. We should be so lucky to win it all and fade away.

I don't think it will sting so much as it will induce nausea if they win it all. We'll never hear the end of it if they win two titles in the same year...really three if you include the Monsters.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It's amazing that Cleveland is doing this without Brantley, Gomes, Salazar, and Carrasco. What a team.

Also, I wish the Tigers had signed Miller when he was a free agent.

:cry:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not surprised Cleveland is there. They had the best starting rotation in the AL, if not the league, with a bullet. Detroit once had that claim; the difference is The Tribe has a stacked bullpen as well and is a defensive machine. The Tigs never really had all the components lined up, especially the all-important pen. We should be so lucky to win it all and fade away.

I don't think it will sting so much as it will induce nausea if they win it all. We'll never hear the end of it if they win two titles in the same year...really three if you include the Monsters.

It'd surprise me less if they didn't have the injuries Ricelund notes below. Francona has done a masterful job with that team and getting the most out of what's left.

It's amazing that Cleveland is doing this without Brantley, Gomes, Salazar, and Carrasco. What a team.

Also, I wish the Tigers had signed Miller when he was a free agent.

:cry:

Didn't we try? For all of the flak about not trying to fix the pen, the Tigers signed a big name reliever a lot, only to have them implode. Again this year, Lowe went all to hell and Wilson disappeared in the second half. And they were two of the bigger arms on the market - not premier level like Miller, but it's not like they were reclamation projects we were hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with.

Hopefully Rondon continues to get better next year and maybe Jimenez is ready to come up by August.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Have a feeling the Tigers are going to slash 30 mil or so off the payroll. I thin JD will be gone and Lyn Henning of the Free Press has said countless times he think Verlander will be dealt

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No quarterback is playing better than Matty right now. Haters are nowhere to be found after this one. Odd.

Well, the haters have wanted him to play like this since he was drafted, not sure why you would expect people to hate on him while he's doing what he should have always done.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Well, the haters have wanted him to play like this since he was drafted, not sure why you would expect people to hate on him while he's doing what he should have always done.

I agree. Number 1 overall pick and this is his eighth season.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Me and my buddy have this same talk. He asks me why I'm not ragging on him this season and I explain it the same way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Have a feeling the Tigers are going to slash 30 mil or so off the payroll. I thin JD will be gone and Lyn Henning of the Free Press has said countless times he think Verlander will be dealt

I'd have a hard time cheering for them if they dealt JV. The guy has a shot at the HoF and being a Tigers great. There is value in that beyond what he brings to the field and he should finish his career here. Same with Miggy, who I don't see as a Marlin at all any more.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd have a hard time cheering for them if they dealt JV. The guy has a shot at the HoF and being a Tigers great. There is value in that beyond what he brings to the field and he should finish his career here. Same with Miggy, who I don't see as a Marlin at all any more.

I never saw him as a marlin

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No quarterback is playing better than Matty right now. Haters are nowhere to be found after this one. Odd.

That's inaccurate

Drew Brees is doing better. And if you want to be statistical. So are like 5 others. At least he's playing at top 10 near 5

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what they do. There's clearly a mandate to cut payroll. It will be disappointing if they have to unload JD. I can't see them trading Verlander but I think it would be a good move in the long run. Apparently they tried to move Upton during the season when he was slumping which is odd. Why sell low?

It's a shame because I think with a few tweaks and better health, they're a WS contender if they keep the band together. Unfortunately, it appears that Chris, not Mike, is running the show now.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Stafford is playing well when they need him but this is still an inferior team.

What we're seeing during this streak is if two teams are about near equal in talent or ability...the difference comes down to making fewer mistakes (turnovers and penalties) and if your QB can take you down the field late in the game and can your kicker make kicks under pressure.

They're not good enough to just beat a team outright...outplay them, out-execute them. This is still a league where most games are decided by one score.

To Caldwell's credit, he's been good at saving timeouts for late game moments. It helps in comeback efforts if you have those timeouts in your pocket. It allows you to use more of your playbook and more of the field when you need to move the ball in a hurry. When you can't stop the clock with timeouts, it means you have to run plays near the sidelines.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what they do. There's clearly a mandate to cut payroll. It will be disappointing if they have to unload JD. I can't see them trading Verlander but I think it would be a good move in the long run. Apparently they tried to move Upton during the season when he was slumping which is odd. Why sell low?

It's a shame because I think with a few tweaks and better health, they're a WS contender if they keep the band together. Unfortunately, it appears that Chris, not Mike, is running the show now.

I think we're on the same page. For me personally, I think they can contend next year if they keep this team together another year. Maybe add one bullpen arm and keep Rodriguez and Maybin. If it flops again, then you firesale your vets and Ausmus can potentially go as well.

Considering they reeled in Fulmer, Norris and Boyd when they made rental deals involving Price and Cespedes...I have to believe they think they can rebuild quickly if they move their veterans. I personally wouldn't move JD because he's been found money. I'd build around him and Castellanos. If you want a proper rebuild, you have to move Miggy, JV, Upton, V-Mart and Kinsler.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Congrats to U of M fans.

At some point the assistants and coordinators are in a lot of trouble at MSU.

I think Tressel isn't working out as a D-coordinator.

Coach D has raised the expectations around there. I know he loves to talk about the continuity of his staff, but somebody on that staff has to pay the price. That is what happens at the real big schools when you disappoint like this.

I do still think tOSU is winning the conference this year.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I think they've been winning because of their talent and Dantonio...now that talent took a dip this season, you see how ordinary their coaches are.

I still think Dantonio is very good. He's had a tough time replacing his best assistants when they leave. Harbaugh can get Don Brown when Durkin left for Maryland. Narduzzi leaves and Dantonio hasn't been able to find an adequate replacement.

It's a down year for State...they'll rebound. Michigan is going to lose a ton of talent after this year. 2017 will be a major test for Harbaugh. At least he'll have a returning starter at QB. You can't take for granted what an experienced QB can do for you. Cook was a winner...leadership issues aside.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
States offensive line had their best game of the year yesterday, they did an amazing job sealing running lanes all day. Thankfully Michigan States passing game was horrendous.

Michigan State is mired in a six game slide for two big reasons, getting slaughtered in the trenches (both sides of the ball), and QB play. 2/3's of the way through the season and still don't have a clearcut starter. Not good.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tigers dealt Maybin (again). Kind of surprising, considering how well he played and how relatively cheap he was, but it looks like we'll be looking at Collins or Jones in center next year. So, they essentially saved $8.5 million.

From all reports they are still looking to cut cash. The best fat to cut is clearly Pelfrey (why did we give him two years, again?) and Sanchez. That would be $24 million sliced away without really touching the team at all. Good luck finding anyone to take either of them though.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It was a pure salary dump for a lottery ticket. Of which the guy has potential...but it's still a lottery ticket

However, it is true that Maybin is rather brittle and the way he performed last season is more of an outlier. He was just a stop-gap option and, to his credit, was better than most people expected.

If not for the way the young pitchers progressed last year, I would say blow it up to a degree.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It was a pure salary dump for a lottery ticket. Of which the guy has potential...but it's still a lottery ticket

However, it is true that Maybin is rather brittle and the way he performed last season is more of an outlier. He was just a stop-gap option and, to his credit, was better than most people expected.

If not for the way the young pitchers progressed last year, I would say blow it up to a degree.

I didn't think this past season was that bad, though. We don't have the prospect depth to counter the injuries we faced to Castellanos, Martinez, etc., but we were right there most of the year. A bit better luck on the injury front and we're in the playoffs, imo.

Still, I don't entirely disagree with blowing it up a bit. I think we trade JD this year, and start looking for suitors for Vmart and Kinsler the following years.

If we can just find a way to dump Pelfrey and Sanchez, we'd probably get the financial wiggle room to make one more push this season. I just don't see anyone wanting them, especially the latter.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The only way Sanchez and Pelfrey gain trade value is to perform well and be late season trades. Even so, I think Pelfrey can still have value at the bottom of the order, especially when the injury bug hits the team. I at least felt there was a 50/50 chance to win with Pelfrey as opposed to thinking the slaughter will begin in the 4th inning with Sanchez.

I hope they do make a push next year. They were in it despite injuries, as Winger stated, and woeful performances from Sanchez most of the year and Pelfrey half of the year. JV, JZ, Fulmer, Boyd and Norris makes for a pretty formidable starting 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->