OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
BYU is a good team. I won't make any predictions but I think for Michigan to win the D and special teams will need to get some big plays and the offense, which I expect to not score much at all, needs to at least avoid costly mistakes i.e. turnovers.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I don't think Stafford is particularly good, don't get me wrong. But judging him based on this line play is impossible.

Now, judging him from last year, when the line was actually pretty good? And he had a ****** year? Yeah, that's on him. Mostly I'm trying to make the point that the line is busted and no qb can win with a busted line.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don't think Stafford is particularly good, don't get me wrong. But judging him based on this line play is impossible.

Now, judging him from last year, when the line was actually pretty good? And he had a ****** year? Yeah, that's on him. Mostly I'm trying to make the point that the line is busted and no qb can win with a busted line.

Eli Manning!!!!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I like Michigan's chances on Saturday but BYU will move the ball on them unlike Oregon State and UNLV. I don't like Rudock but they can win games playing ball control and they've got a really solid stable of backs going right now. BYU lost their starting QB in the first game but Mangum can throw and they gave UCLA fits last week.

I think it's a one score margin for either side...really would like to see Michgan start 3-1 prior to the conference slate. They lost their toughest non-con game on their schedule. They play with a really good energy at home. The only reason I give them a chance against MSU or OSU this year is the game is at home and they are developing a good ground game. If any team stops their run, they'll lose. Rudock isn't nearly good enough to win a game with his arm.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Has Stafford had a busted line his entire career?

At what point can a quarterback who hasn't won a playoff game and failed to win a game on the road against a playoff team be considered "not good enough"?

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Has Stafford had a busted line his entire career?

At what point can a quarterback who hasn't won a playoff game and failed to win a game on the road against a playoff team be considered "not good enough"?

I said right there in my last post, the line was good last year and Stafford was still bad.

I'm not a Stafford apologist. But I watched the Cowboys bring home a win with Brandon Effing Weedon at qb and no weapons at wr or rb. Because their line is elite. Anybody can win with an elite line. The Lions are perennial losers because they are satisfied with patchwork o lines year after year, starting undrafted rookies, etc.

The line was good last year but it was a fluke. They didn't take steps to improve it and solidify it long term. Now they have injuries and this is what you get.

Reason number 78 why the Lions will always be terrible. They don't understand rule 1 of fundamental success in the nfl. Build your o line and everything else becomes easier.

Worrying about Stafford when the line is this bad is like worrying about painting the barn that is sagging and about to fall over.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I like Michigan's chances on Saturday but BYU will move the ball on them unlike Oregon State and UNLV. I don't like Rudock but they can win games playing ball control and they've got a really solid stable of backs going right now. BYU lost their starting QB in the first game but Mangum can throw and they gave UCLA fits last week.

I think it's a one score margin for either side...really would like to see Michgan start 3-1 prior to the conference slate. They lost their toughest non-con game on their schedule. They play with a really good energy at home. The only reason I give them a chance against MSU or OSU this year is the game is at home and they are developing a good ground game. If any team stops their run, they'll lose. Rudock isn't nearly good enough to win a game with his arm.

Unlv and Oregon State aren't the greatest. But Michigan d were all over them if you watched the game. If a quarterback threw the pass. more then half the time a guy was right there swatting it or tackling him so he loses the ball or whatever. I don't see BYU shredding this dfence

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I said right there in my last post, the line was good last year and Stafford was still bad.

I'm not a Stafford apologist. But I watched the Cowboys bring home a win with Brandon Effing Weedon at qb and no weapons at wr or rb. Because their line is elite. Anybody can win with an elite line. The Lions are perennial losers because they are satisfied with patchwork o lines year after year, starting undrafted rookies, etc.

The line was good last year but it was a fluke. They didn't take steps to improve it and solidify it long term. Now they have injuries and this is what you get.

Reason number 78 why the Lions will always be terrible. They don't understand rule 1 of fundamental success in the nfl. Build your o line and everything else becomes easier.

Worrying about Stafford when the line is this bad is like worrying about painting the barn that is sagging and about to fall over.

the alternative option is to have great defense (sherman, thomas, chancellor, others), great coach (pete carroll) and great QB and RB (wilson and lynch).

not sure if lions have any of those.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Well the Lions had a great defense, but they let it walk away. Obviously it would be unfair to completely blame the Lions for that happening. They were a victim of circumstances with the way rookie contracts used to work, but a team needs to find a way to keep their best players around.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Well the Lions had a great defense, but they let it walk away. Obviously it would be unfair to completely blame the Lions for that happening. They were a victim of circumstances with the way rookie contracts used to work, but a team needs to find a way to keep their best players around.

Suh got a ridiculous deal from Miami and is already annoying them with his stubborn attitude. Topping the Miami offer would only have made it harder to put a decent o line together.

The Lions were cooked on Suh's deal the day he was drafted. Old cba deals for top picks were atrocious and started the cap balloon cycle before the player has even attended a minicamp.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Suh got a ridiculous deal from Miami and is already annoying them with his stubborn attitude. Topping the Miami offer would only have made it harder to put a decent o line together.

The Lions were cooked on Suh's deal the day he was drafted. Old cba deals for top picks were atrocious and started the cap balloon cycle before the player has even attended a minicamp.

You are definitely right, but i guess i would rather have a bunch of problems that stem from having to pay your elite talent a ton of money, than a bunch of problems that stem from that elite talent leaving.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem really is that Suh was a poisoned chalice. Nobody on draft day figured he'd be such a troublemaker but that's what he has become. I think it would have been a real tricky effort to keep Suh around in any event but given that the org was pretty lukewarm about him as a presence, yeah they weren't going to go to any great lengths.

I think the real thing is that the current Lions' regime gets a lot of slack based on how bad the previous regimes were. I don't think their drafting has been great, I don't think their vision for the team has been great. They got a few years of the Lions being a decent but very flawed team out of it. In a league where you see worst to first turnarounds all the time that's really not a great achievement.

Aug 6, 2012
States defense has been real iffy. They're making big plays, but teams are moving the ball effectively against them.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Michigan beat BYU in what turned out to be not much of a contest. Michigan played a great half of football in the 1st half - one of the best all-around halves Michigan has played since Carr left - and that was all that was needed.

The 2nd half continued to see a dominant Michigan D but BYU's defense had adjusted and Michigan's offense's conservatism meant no points were scored in the half.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Ausmus returning for 2016

vader.jpg

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Ausmus returning for 2016

Does his contract run through next season? Maybe the Tigers just want to run it out.

I'm not sure what to make of it, overall. It's not his fault the pitching blew, but he sometimes made off pitching choices, and the batting lineup could use some tweaking, although it could be that the players really stood behind him, eg the Rondon situation.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I doubt that's why he returns, what's left of the Tigers 'braintrust' probably thinks he's going to have the Tigers contend for the World Series next year. :help:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
RIP 2016 Detroit Tigers.

We hardly knew ye.

The only way it makes any sense at all is if they're planning on tanking next season too, going for a top pick, and then reloading next winter. Because Brad is absolute **** at managing and there's no amount of Old Spice that can cover up the smell.

He's pulling a classic Wayne Fontes. Lose enough to show everyone how badly they need to fire you, then win just enough games at the end to screw the draft and save your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad