Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He, along with Gaudreau, certainly seems to be a sacred cow amongst many Flames fans and for some reason is not allowed to be criticized.

I certainly don't see the intelligence that others talk about and the offensive upside seems to come out of nowhere.

I am fine with having him on the team because he appears to be a good 4th line player and an enforcer that doesn't completely suck at hockey (ie McGrattan) but he has played a lot of games in the NHL and not looked good offensively at any point. I guess we can keep trotting out the late development BS line but that seems to be a little hopeful at this point.

What games are you watching? It has been clear since last years playoffs that he's not your ordinary grinder. His points are not there yet, but I regularly see him do something that requires intelligence and an offensive skillset. Lot's of players just take time to really put it together. He, at the very least, has solid potential moving forward.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would a late career Bertuzzi be a decent comparable for Ferland's upside? (Sorry, I have a weird time figuring out comparables lately; Please also ignore the rest of Bertuzzi's career "stuff")

EDIT: Nvm... I am so bad at reading. Saw Hox mentioned Bert's name on the previous page.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Top 6 Forward Micheal Ferland?

Ferland was bumped up to the Backlund line in the home game against the Jets, and now he's on the Johnny line. He has 4 assists and a goal in those eight games. He's looked awesome. 20:55 ice time last night is a career high for him. Underlying stats of 55.8% Fenwick For over that short span are indicative of the Flames significantly carrying the play while his line is on the ice.

Consider me rooting for him to keep this up, because we could have a real dominant two-way first line in the makings. That would take a lot of pressure off our other three lines and open up space for them to play a cycle game.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Ferland was bumped up to the Backlund line in the home game against the Jets, and now he's on the Johnny line. He has 4 assists and a goal in those eight games. He's looked awesome. 20:55 ice time last night is a career high for him. Underlying stats of 55.8% Fenwick For over that short span are indicative of the Flames significantly carrying the play while his line is on the ice.

Consider me rooting for him to keep this up, because we could have a real dominant two-way first line in the makings. That would take a lot of pressure off our other three lines and open up space for them to play a cycle game.

This will age me, but it's very similar script as Gary Roberts when he first started with the Flames. Began as an energy player / **** disturber, then found himself playing in the top six (with Niewendyk and Fleury IIRC) after Loob/Mullen left. He turned out alright.

If Ferland can be half the player Gary Roberts was, we're doing OK.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I agree, I've been saying for a while that he has shown some real skill out there beyond just being able to throw the body around (which is a huge bonus). Having someone like him on Johnny's line will be a big help in giving him space, or making people think twice about giving him a couple slashes. He's no McGrattan as far as completely being a deterrent, but he adds the perfect mix of truculence and skill to compliment that top line. I mean did you see him shoving around Brent Burns last night? Guy's got cajones. I'm also really rooting for him.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree, I've been saying for a while that he has shown some real skill out there beyond just being able to throw the body around (which is a huge bonus). Having someone like him on Johnny's line will be a big help in giving him space, or making people think twice about giving him a couple slashes. He's no McGrattan as far as completely being a deterrent, but he adds the perfect mix of truculence and skill to compliment that top line. I mean did you see him shoving around Brent Burns last night? Guy's got cajones. I'm also really rooting for him.

Burns is definitely a big man, but I think Micheal can hang with the best of them in the NHL. He has a hulking physique.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Burns is definitely a big man, but I think Micheal can hang with the best of them in the NHL. He has a hulking physique.

He's only 208 lbs though! That's crazy. He's that physical but doesn't weigh that much.

All in all I thought he did great out there last night. He didn't touch the puck all that much but Johnny and Sean seemed to have way more room out there then usual because Ferland was causing a ruckus in front of the net.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He battled, crashed the net, created space and provided screens, exactly what we need on that line and PP. if he can stay healthy and be consistent, he's going to be a real treat to watch and have on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad