Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Who the hell cares what his prospect rating is. He is helping the Flames win right now.

If management is putting Ferland in the line up, he is right now ahead of any healthy body who isn't in the line up. Every one of the Black Aces knows that Ferland is playing and they are not.

Prospects can rise and fall. And Ferland is on a big rise.

Why wasn't Josh Jooris a top 5 prospect? I'll tell you why. Because he wasn't even on our list. Didn't even crack consideration for the top 30. And then he made the team and contributed. Jooris is in the NHL, making an NHL wage. Do you really think that he is worried that Agostino out performed him on an internet poll?

In the big picture rankings don't mean squat. Results do. Ask Sven Baertschi how much being a top rated prospect is worth.

Sure, but uh, this is an Internet forum for the purposes of discussion, no? I don't disagree at all, but that's what we do on here.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Hox with the epic scouting skillz here.

And note the proper spelling of his first name. Micheal.

I'd like to point out that the last time the Flames had a bottom six winger with an uncommon spelling of his first name (one Shean Donovan) they did alright. Just sayin'

Ah. That explains why Bieksa never heard of Michael Ferland.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Who the hell cares what his prospect rating is. He is helping the Flames win right now.

If management is putting Ferland in the line up, he is right now ahead of any healthy body who isn't in the line up. Every one of the Black Aces knows that Ferland is playing and they are not.

Prospects can rise and fall. And Ferland is on a big rise.

Why wasn't Josh Jooris a top 5 prospect? I'll tell you why. Because he wasn't even on our list. Didn't even crack consideration for the top 30. And then he made the team and contributed. Jooris is in the NHL, making an NHL wage. Do you really think that he is worried that Agostino out performed him on an internet poll?

In the big picture rankings don't mean squat. Results do. Ask Sven Baertschi how much being a top rated prospect is worth.

Simply playing in an NHL game doesn't mean you're a better prospect. I think that's the first obvious given. Others have spoken of his inconsistency early in the NHL season as well as the AHL, but it's no doubt he made positive strides in the Canucks series. That is a team he can shine against though, and fans have to keep in mind an NHL season means playing impactful minutes against every kind of team.

Ferland is filling the role that Bouma left open with his physicality and pouncing on opportunities. Bouma made tremendous strides these last two years and I'd love to see Ferland follow that same path. It's been said before many times... there are others in the organization who have way higher upside. That is amazing news for Flames fans to know we have more talent on the way.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So impressed with this guy. Peter Loubardias said it the other day. He's one of the few players in the league with every tool in the tool box. He's fast, he's big, he's physical, he's discipline, he can shoot, he can make moves at high speeds. Such a fun player to watch.

The sky is the limit with this kid. I can't wait until he puts it all together and starts being an offensive force. Definitely proving he was at worst a top five prospect for this organization.

moon*

How can he have every tool in the box when he is an offensive black hole?

The limit with this kid is much, much lower than the sky and somewhere right around serviceable bottom 6 player.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
How can he have every tool in the box when he is an offensive black hole?

The limit with this kid is much, much lower than the sky and somewhere right around serviceable bottom 6 player.

Are you trying to reference things like black hole and the sky because your name is moon or is it just a coincidence?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I still think his (realistic) ceiling is a 20-20 guy. Which, with everything else he brings, would be awesome. But I'd settle for a 10-15g physical beast.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I still think his (realistic) ceiling is a 20-20 guy. Which, with everything else he brings, would be awesome. But I'd settle for a 10-15g physical beast.

This team absolutely needs a Clutterbuck player. Not an enforcer like Grats/Bollig, but a guy who can actually play 13+ minutes a game.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I agree with you on his ceiling. I see no reason why he can't be a similar player to a Bourque in his prime. Heck even Glencross isn't a bad comparable overall. Of course Ferland is much more physical than either of those guys. Bourque was a marshmallow.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This team absolutely needs a Clutterbuck player. Not an enforcer like Grats/Bollig, but a guy who can actually play 13+ minutes a game.

If we got a 15 goal scorer, and like a 30-40 point guy who hit like truck and could get under another teams' skin... Yeah, sign me up big time.

Ferland's been really impressive in the last few games. Him and Bennett are on the verge of some nice point production me thinks.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

IMO, every team needs one. That's why guys like that are so highly regarded and valuable.

The good thing with Ferland so far, is when he's having an off night, for the most part he's invisible, which is fine for a bottom 6 guy, as long as they're not a liability. But his offense seems like it's ready to break through, he's done a good job screening goalies when given the chance on the PP.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
IMO, every team needs one. That's why guys like that are so highly regarded and valuable.

The good thing with Ferland so far, is when he's having an off night, for the most part he's invisible, which is fine for a bottom 6 guy, as long as they're not a liability. But his offense seems like it's ready to break through, he's done a good job screening goalies when given the chance on the PP.

Agreed, but Calgary especially. Majority of the team doesn't play a strong physical game and we've seen what a few hits and strong forcheck from guys like Ferland, Jones and Stajan can do these past few games.

And agreed with your latter point. Some shifts you might not be able to throw a hit but I've seen Ferland skate pretty well on the forcheck and a non-liability positionally.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's been playing great, making an impact all over the ice. Had a great backcheck the other night. He seems like the type of player coaches love, that he would go through a wall for this team, and causes all sorts of chaos in the Ozone. Going to be a good middle six contributor, but I have a hard time seeing him crack 40 points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's been playing great, making an impact all over the ice. Had a great backcheck the other night. He seems like the type of player coaches love, that he would go through a wall for this team, and causes all sorts of chaos in the Ozone. Going to be a good middle six contributor, but I have a hard time seeing him crack 40 points.

I think a lot of people are in your shoes, where they don't see that potential. I think the coaches look at Ferland right now as a bunch tools and parts. He has the shot, he has the hands, he has the skating, he has the size, he has the work ethic, he has all the makings to be a really good player, but he needs to put everything together to get there. I feel fairly confident that he's going to be a 20 goal scorer in a couple of seasons.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think a lot of people are in your shoes, where they don't see that potential. I think the coaches look at Ferland right now as a bunch tools and parts. He has the shot, he has the hands, he has the skating, he has the size, he has the work ethic, he has all the makings to be a really good player, but he needs to put everything together to get there. I feel fairly confident that he's going to be a 20 goal scorer in a couple of seasons.

More than any of that, I would argue he has the intelligence and capacity to learn. That's what impresses me the most about this guy. Reads and reacts to the play so well. His stats just don't seem to tell the story about him. To my eyes he's a better offensive player than Jones, Colborne, or Raymond.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Looking forward to seeing Ferland on the top line tomorrow, he got a great chance in front of him here.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

That would be great, and if he continues to get PP time 20 goals could be in his future. The most impressive thing for me has been how he has stepped up his game in the absence of Hudler and Frolik our #1&2 RWs, more than the rest of the forward group has IMO. Really depends what the Flames do in the offseason, as both Jones and Hudler come off the books and Colborne will need a contract. I could see them going after another Top 6 RW. Definitely see a lot of tools for the guy, my main caveat, similar to Hamilton, is I've yet to see the "toolbox" so to speak. If he puts them together with any kind of consistency and keeps his game simple he'll be a valuable piece for a long time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That would be great, and if he continues to get PP time 20 goals could be in his future. The most impressive thing for me has been how he has stepped up his game in the absence of Hudler and Frolik our #1&2 RWs, more than the rest of the forward group has IMO. Really depends what the Flames do in the offseason, as both Jones and Hudler come off the books and Colborne will need a contract. I could see them going after another Top 6 RW. Definitely see a lot of tools for the guy, my main caveat, similar to Hamilton, is I've yet to see the "toolbox" so to speak. If he puts them together with any kind of consistency and keeps his game simple he'll be a valuable piece for a long time.

I should have added what OKG said, he does seem to be fairly intelligent. And again, when he's having an off night, he usually doesn't do stupid plays that hurt you. I don't recall many if any posts in our GDT's that have people calling for his head after a mistake.

Regarding his skillset, I see at least 1 or 2 flashes every game. Whether it be he dangles a defender or makes an incredibly nice feed, you can see he's not your everyday grinder. I actually see him as a poor mans Bertuzzi in some ways. I don't think he'll get anywhere near that good, but like I stated earlier, I think a 40-45 point expectation is reasonable.

moon*

I should have added what OKG said, he does seem to be fairly intelligent. And again, when he's having an off night, he usually doesn't do stupid plays that hurt you. I don't recall many if any posts in our GDT's that have people calling for his head after a mistake.

He, along with Gaudreau, certainly seems to be a sacred cow amongst many Flames fans and for some reason is not allowed to be criticized.

I certainly don't see the intelligence that others talk about and the offensive upside seems to come out of nowhere.

I am fine with having him on the team because he appears to be a good 4th line player and an enforcer that doesn't completely suck at hockey (ie McGrattan) but he has played a lot of games in the NHL and not looked good offensively at any point. I guess we can keep trotting out the late development BS line but that seems to be a little hopeful at this point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He, along with Gaudreau, certainly seems to be a sacred cow amongst many Flames fans and for some reason is not allowed to be criticized.

I certainly don't see the intelligence that others talk about and the offensive upside seems to come out of nowhere.

I am fine with having him on the team because he appears to be a good 4th line player and an enforcer that doesn't completely suck at hockey (ie McGrattan) but he has played a lot of games in the NHL and not looked good offensively at any point. I guess we can keep trotting out the late development BS line but that seems to be a little hopeful at this point.

I'll admit, to this point he hasn't accomplished all that much. But I base my opinion on what I see in his game, and comments made from the Flames coaches, players and management, as to what they see in his game everyday in regards to his upside.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Regarding his skillset, I see at least 1 or 2 flashes every game. Whether it be he dangles a defender or makes an incredibly nice feed, you can see he's not your everyday grinder. I actually see him as a poor mans Bertuzzi in some ways. I don't think he'll get anywhere near that good, but like I stated earlier, I think a 40-45 point expectation is reasonable.

Agreed, I think Ferland's great. As long as he avoids getting injured, he looks like he'll be a great, inexpensive, bottom six forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad