Michalek or Hudler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Birko19 said:
Ok fine, since you put it that way, compare Grigorenko (when he was 100%), to Nystom, Karlson, or whoever you wanna compare him to, ohh I guess just because he was drafted 62nd overall, that makes most prospects drafted ahead of him better, right? PLEASEEEEE, this is just some Red Wing hating going on here, I understand that Hudler is overrated and I agree on that, but to blow him out like that and say he's nowhere as good as Michalek just because he was drafted 58th overall is just too Homerish for me.
Your Gigorenko example is bad. His stock because of his play went way up after he was drafted.
There is no reason to say (other than bias) to say Hudlers stock has gone up or down since the draft, so to compare him as a prospect (in terms of who is a better prospect) to Michalek at this point is ludicrous .

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Sammy said:
Your Gigorenko example is bad. His stock because of his play went way up after he was drafted.
There is no reason to say (other than bias) to say Hudlers stock has gone up or down since the draft, so to compare him as a prospect (in terms of who is a better prospect) to Michalek at this point is ludicrous .

For the last time, I THINK MICHALEK IS THE BETTER PROSPECT, but it's a lot closer then you think.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
1) Just because I disagree with what seems to be the majority does not make me a homer, I'm not even a Red Wings fan. Perhaps the likes of Sammy and X-Sharkie are simply San Jose fans who overrate Michalek.

2) Draft positioning does not mean crap after the draft is done. All draft positioning tells you is what strategies teams are using to pick players for their future, who they THINK is better and who they
THINK will be better in the LONG run.

3) Apparently you guys are missing what Birko and I are trying to say. Michalek is legitimately the better prospect, but this is not a landslide victory for Michalek. Hudler also has many qualities and talents that make him an elite prospect.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Sammy*

AJ1982 said:
1) Just because I disagree with what seems to be the majority does not make me a homer, I'm not even a Red Wings fan. Perhaps the likes of Sammy and X-Sharkie are simply San Jose fans who overrate Michalek.

2) Draft positioning does not mean crap after the draft is done. All draft positioning tells you is what strategies teams are using to pick players for their future, who they THINK is better and who they

3) Apparently you guys are missing what Birko and I are trying to say. Michalek is legitimately the better prospect, but this is not a landslide victory for Michalek. Hudler also has many qualities and talents that make him an elite prospect.

I am not a San Jose or Michalek fan . I am simply not a fan of hype surrounding guys when there is no logical reason for it, at present.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
AJ1982 said:

Teams tend to go for the best player available, although they may have preferences based on needs. However you can safely asume that teams consider a player drafted around 50 places higher to have a better potential than the other guy. This means they consider the other player has bigger holes in his game to fill and will have to progress beyond expectation in order to become a better player than the guy drafted higher (except if the higher guy busts or if the player was somehow overlooked. Hudler hasn't done that much to have his stock soar, nor was he somehow overlooked. Almost all teams passed up twice while knowing what his strengths and weaknesses were. Obviously draft order doesn't fully determine the 'quality' of a player, however it is a pretty good indication, especially if few other means to assess are available.

Hudler also has many qualities and talents that make him an elite prospect.

It probably depends on personal definition, but while a solid prospect, I do not consider Hudler to be an elite prospect...

Cyclops II*

AJ1982 said:

I AM a Sharks fan and i agree with you, AJ1982. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the scouts screwed up again with Hudler.
I heard the Grand Rapids - Cleveland AHL game on the weekend. According to the Cleveland announcers Hudler was great. He had several chances to score and finally capitalized in overtime with a wicked shot. Maybe more importantly he set up many scoring chances with pin point passing. I consider this to be impressive because he was only just demoted so he has assimilated his teammates abilities (or lack thereof) very quickly.

I would take Michalek but not by a huge margin.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Cyclops II said:
I AM a Sharks fan and i agree with you, AJ1982. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the scouts screwed up again with Hudler.
I heard the Grand Rapids - Cleveland AHL game on the weekend. According to the Cleveland announcers Hudler was great. He had several chances to score and finally capitalized in overtime with a wicked shot. Maybe more importantly he set up many scoring chances with pin point passing. I consider this to be impressive because he was only just demoted so he has assimilated his teammates abilities (or lack thereof) very quickly.

I would take Michalek but not by a huge margin.

The guy has i think 20 pts or so in 18 games in the AHL as a 19 yr old.
This time next year he could very well be putting up higher numbers, the kid has had great success in every league he's been in. SO what if he hasent had NHL success yet. He's 19 and still had to learn the game better along with puttin on more muscle and since he's 19 he could still very well grow a inch or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad