Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I kind of wish he was put on the wing, he'd be a good complimentary guy who could work the corners and screen the goalie and it'd let him play more physical. When he's at centre it takes away from the areas he can contribute as he's stuck being more focused defensively.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Can go thru waivers.
Let him play top minutes in Laval.

We can recalll him in case of injuries.

For now, I see a nice progression.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Can go thru waivers.

Genuine question: what progression have you seen so far? I haven't paid much attention to the training camp so far. Also, he didn't look so effective in the game vs. Boston, so I'm curious.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Also, he didn't look so effective in the game vs. Boston, so I'm curious.

Invisible would be the proper term to use. When we drafted Tinordi, we wanted him to play physical and be mean just because he had physical attributes, turns out that was not his game at all. I'm afraid we are in a similar situation with McCarron. We expect him to be an intimidating force on the ice as his frame should allow him to be. Maybe playing at C is too much responsibilities for him and putting him back on the wings would help simplify his game :dunno:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I expect he takes over for Mitchell at the TDL. I think him centering Byron and Shaw would be a thing of beauty.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Genuine question: what progression have you seen so far? I haven't paid much attention to the training camp so far. Also, he didn't look so effective in the game vs. Boston, so I'm curious.
Seems a bit faster (maybe related to weight loss).

Boston is one game, let's see how he does in other games.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Their no point in having playing 4th line minute in the NHL, he is waivers exempt have him tons of minutes in the AHL and hopefully dominate and keep progressing, bring him in the NHL after the trade deadline and next year have him battle for a spot full time.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Seems a bit faster (maybe related to weight loss).

Boston is one game, let's see how he does in other games.

I know it's only one game, but since you talked about progression, I was curious about what area of his game had improved. Also, he's supposed to be fighting for a spot, possibly to steal a job from an NHL regular, he can't afford to be this underwhelming for another game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm concerned about his offensive game, haven't agreed with how he's been handled by the Habs. But what I have liked about him is his play in his own end, in the FO circle, and just think he needs to improve his lower body strength and balance. He's a force on the PP screening the goalie, which have led to a number of PP goals that he didn't pick up a point on but likely wouldn't have gone in without him. As for his physical game, I wonder if the Habs last year talked to him to get him to tone it down as he's clearly not as physical or looking for fights like he was.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I remember laughing at the thought of him becoming Boyle 2.0 because I was sure he would be much better. Don't even think he will become that, big time disappointment.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I must be one of the few that thought he played a good game vs. Boston. He made a smart play on the Gregoire goal - approaching the net threatening to pass or shoot to keep the G and D guessing then firing a hard shot for a rebound with traffic heading to the net. It was the right play and it led directly to a goal. He also won most of his puck battles while being a load for defensemen to deal with down low. And he laid out some pretty big hits, which seems to have gone unnoticed. I'm not sure what more we can expect from the guy playing with DLR and Gregoire :dunno:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I remember laughing at the thought of him becoming Boyle 2.0 because I was sure he would be much better. Don't even think he will become that, big time disappointment.

I knew when we drafted McCarron he wouldn't end up the offensive player McCagg and others were predicting of him on here. Very seldom do players of his height transition well to NHL speed. Odds were heavily against him. To me....he was a Paul Gaustad type right from the start.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Their no point in having playing 4th line minute in the NHL, he is waivers exempt have him tons of minutes in the AHL and hopefully dominate and keep progressing, bring him in the NHL after the trade deadline and next year have him battle for a spot full time.

agreed.

I must be one of the few that thought he played a good game vs. Boston. He made a smart play on the Gregoire goal - approaching the net threatening to pass or shoot to keep the G and D guessing then firing a hard shot for a rebound with traffic heading to the net. It was the right play and it led directly to a goal. He also won most of his puck battles while being a load for defensemen to deal with down low. And he laid out some pretty big hits, which seems to have gone unnoticed. I'm not sure what more we can expect from the guy playing with DLR and Gregoire :dunno:

didn't see the game but that doesn't sound half bad. Always been a big fan but I'll admit my hope is running a bit thin. Hopefully his critics are being too hard on him. It is only one preseason game. I would like him standing out more where everyone agrees he had a good game. Weird that people seem split on him against Boston.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Honestly, I don't like very tall players much (taller than 6'4"). For the majority, they are picked thanks to their size more than their real talent in hockey.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Yea I didn't catch the whole game but that whole shift leading up to the goal he was very effective and overall I thought he had a decent game from what I saw.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Guy needs a break he plays with scrubs with no puck skills and no puck movers (hint, McCarron needs a playmaker to score any points, when he plays with someone he can build plays with, he's actually a decent hockey brain). DLR is an offense killer and questionnable on defense even, and he's dragging McCarron down, big time. If Hudon gets a few shots at playign with Plekanec, I'd like to see McCarron also used with our better offensive players. There's no reason to not try McCarron on the right of Drouin and take faceoffs on the right, in preseason.

We build with the draft, yet we hire Hemskys and place them on top of the depth chart for reasons.

Last edited:

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
He his far from a bad player, I like many things about him and he still has upsides.

Just give him some balance on his skates and you have a completely different player. That's what frustrates me here. He worked on his legs power and first strides, but the problem seems a lot more about mechanic.

It asks to almost learn again how to skate and it asks a lot of work, exactly what Bryan Boyle did in the past with a figure skating trainer. Bo Horvat did it last summer too. That's what I expected Mccarron would do and he clearly didn't. That's why I'm frustrated.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Boyle made the NHL as a full time NHL player at the age of 24 I believe. McCarron is 2 years from 24 and was always considered a long term project. Hard to say if he is ahead, the same, or behind Boyle's progression.

- Boyle played 114 AHL games with a 0.73 pts/game average. Boyle came from NCAA

- McCarron has played 90 AHL games with a 0.63 pts/game average. McCarron came from the OHL

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Just because I seem to always have to remind people of this, Brian Boyle became "Brian Boyle" at the age of 26. Before that he was scoring 5 points in 28 NHL games 6 points in 71 NHL games. McCarron is 22 now.

I'm not saying McCarron will be Boyle or better, but I'm sure Boyle's own development wasn't looking too promising back then either.

I've said it all along with McCarron, I think he has a lot of good tools to be an NHLer, but it's going to take time. I hope the Habs brass are more patient than their fanbase.

Jul 6, 2016
Can go thru waivers.

I was, and I am still expecting him to be ready to start at NHL level this season. Habs line up badly needs a big, strong player on its bottom lines. I just hope he will show more willingness to compete in the next few exhibition games. Same with Scherback. Habs need their 1st round picks to start being productive at NHL level.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
One thing sure, he still a beast along the boards. It's a good idea to watch him more on the wing.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Do people really still see NHL scoring potential in this kid? 2 goals in 51 games.

He is going to go back to laval because its a numbers game but I don't even think he is going to learn much there and not because of Sly. He is going into his 3rd season there. You don't get better by continuously playing against weaker competition, you just become complacent.

4th liner if the habs are lucky. Scouting staff fell in love with his size forgetting that hockey IQ and skills is what matters not being big.

He will go back the AHL and be part of a good AHL team but I think the chances of him finding another gear in the NHL and becoming a 2nd liner are fading rather quickly. Hope he proves me wrong.

Willing to say Audette has a better year in Laval and a better NHL career than Mac probably has.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just because I seem to always have to remind people of this, Brian Boyle became "Brian Boyle" at the age of 26. Before that he was scoring 5 points in 28 NHL games 6 points in 71 NHL games. McCarron is 22 now.

I'm not saying McCarron will be Boyle or better, but I'm sure Boyle's own development wasn't looking too promising back then either.

I've said it all along with McCarron, I think he has a lot of good tools to be an NHLer, but it's going to take time. I hope the Habs brass are more patient than their fanbase.

That's an excellent point. Oversized players take more time to develop than players with a lower center of gravity, as a general rule.

No sense rushing him, let him get another season in the AHL. And yes, he doesn't have to clear waivers so they can afford to be patient with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->