Michael McCarron - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Gallagher is used there to fetch pucks and crash the net... Weise can do that, DSP can probably do it, Andrighetto can do it, Eller could do it...

Why not try Eller on the right side ? He's a pro to get puck and go to the net, and that's all this line needs. Pacioretty and Plek both create their own offense and they need the puck.

Lol yeah Eller, DSP, Weise and even GHETTO, a guy with like 5 nhl games can all do what Gallagher does, sure...

He's been our best forward in many games this season, his playmaking has been a lot better than last year. Come on now if what he does was so easy he would not be the guy that gets any line he's on going, you're really underrating him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a little much to suggest any of the other guys can replace Gallagher. He's our best RWer quite easily because he has a good combination of skill and grit.

The other guys however aren't quite as talented.

Oh, I'm not talking about replacing him, he's going to another line and he's probably going to produce more offense there. What Pleks and Patches need is not Gallagher though, it's like getting the groceries with a ferrari.

Lol yeah Eller, DSP, Weise and even GHETTO, a guy with like 5 nhl games can all do what Gallagher does, sure...

He's been our best forward in many games this season, his playmaking has been a lot better than last year. Come on now if what he does was so easy he would not be the guy that gets any line he's on going, you're really underrating him.
Yeah, I'm probably the only guy that calls Gallagher an elite first liner on this board, I'm not underrating him.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Gallagher is used there to fetch pucks and crash the net... Weise can do that, DSP can probably do it, Andrighetto can do it, Eller could do it...

Why not try Eller on the right side ? He's a pro to get puck and go to the net, and that's all this line needs. Pacioretty and Plek both create their own offense and they need the puck.

... Maybe. My point was that :

- Gallagher is much better than the players you named;
- Thus, Plekanec's line might end up being significantly diminished;
- Which bodes bad, because they usually have lots of icetime, and typically the toughest miniutes;
- Consequently, EGG would have to face way tougher minutes than SEGA or whatever, because of the need to adjust Plekanec's line deployment to account for the fact that Gallagher is not there anymore.

But if Eller can be that guy on the right side, why not? That would probably involve Flash going up on the Galchenyuk line and slightly tougher minutes for their line, and slightly easier minutes for the DD line, because... well, who's play LW on DD line? (Not McCarron, and I'm officially very offtopic)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
... Maybe. My point was that :

- Gallagher is much better than the players you named;
- Thus, Plekanec's line might end up being significantly diminished;
- Which bodes bad, because they usually have lots of icetime, and typically the toughest miniutes;
- Consequently, EGG would have to face way tougher minutes than SEGA or whatever, because of the need to adjust Plekanec's line deployment to account for the fact that Gallagher is not there anymore.

But if Eller can be that guy on the right side, why not? That would probably involve Flash going up on the Galchenyuk line and slightly tougher minutes for their line, and slightly easier minutes for the DD line, because... well, who's play LW on DD line? (Not McCarron, and I'm officially very offtopic)

Yeah, this is really of topic... :laugh: I'd love to answer it but it's going to get moved anyway

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How old are these guys:laugh:. They sound like young siblings arguing. I certainly agree with the english guy to a certain degree. I wouldn't mind trying big Mike at RW with Galchenyuk if only for a few games. See how it works. I agree with the other english guy too wanting to bring back the EGG line.

I don't know if they would call up McCarron but if they did I hope they would redo the lines except the 4th line. Eller has to be back at center, I just don't think he can play on the wing. If they called McCarron up I'd try,

Pac Galchenyuk McCarron
Flash Pleks Gallagher
DD Eller Dutch 99
DSP Mitchell Byron

this way Galchenyuk has 2 wingers that should be fine in their own end and would be a big line for us. DD might be good for Eller and he'll still have 2 defensively sound linemates plus it gives us more size down the middle.

is he good at face-offs? just curious.

so far he's been really good there, not sure how he would do at the NHL level, but I'm impressed since he hasn't been at center that long.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't know if they would call up McCarron but if they did I hope they would redo the lines except the 4th line. Eller has to be back at center, I just don't think he can play on the wing. If they called McCarron up I'd try,

Pac Galchenyuk McCarron
Flash Pleks Gallagher
DD Eller Dutch 99
DSP Mitchell Byron

this way Galchenyuk has 2 wingers that should be fine in their own end and would be a big line for us. DD might be good for Eller and he'll still have 2 defensively sound linemates plus it gives us more size down the middle.

so far he's been really good there, not sure how he would do at the NHL level, but I'm impressed since he hasn't been at center that long.

Hmmm interesting line combinations. I'd certainly like to see it in action. I just don't know about messing with the 3rd line since they've been pretty consistent and I'm not sold with DD on wing but who knows, it may be a winning combo.

I think we'll simply see Mccaron taking Semins spot on the second or maybe Gallagher being put on the second to reunite the Egg line and Mccarron up there with the veterans Max and Plek. MT is pretty conservative after all.

After tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a call up and I think that Mccarron is likely seeing as he's a right handed shot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hmmm interesting line combinations. I'd certainly like to see it in action. I just don't know about messing with the 3rd line since they've been pretty consistent and I'm not sold with DD on wing but who knows, it may be a winning combo.

I think we'll simply see Mccaron taking Semins spot on the second or maybe Gallagher being put on the second to reunite the Egg line and Mccarron up there with the veterans Max and Plek. MT is pretty conservative after all.

After tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a call up and I think that Mccarron is likely seeing as he's a right handed shot.

I'd be surprised if they actually called him up this early. I just don't like seeing Eller at wing, and while it was a nice comeback I think at some point the lines need to be changed. The DD line has been good but I would chance mixing it up to get some others going.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'd be surprised if they actually called him up this early. I just don't like seeing Eller at wing, and while it was a nice comeback I think at some point the lines need to be changed. The DD line has been good but I would chance mixing it up to get some others going.

Well, as many on here have said, Semin's time may be up. I don't think he got a fair chance but it's clear MT and him are not on the same page. I don't see Byron or DSP as long term solutions on that RW so someone is going to get called up.

It may not be Mac but I'd be really surprised if we don't call up anyone before December if Semin is out. Other options are Scherbak and Thomas but I doubt they get in before Mac. Holloway maybe?

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Well, as many on here have said, Semin's time may be up. I don't think he got a fair chance but it's clear MT and him are not on the same page. I don't see Byron or DSP as long term solutions on that RW so someone is going to get called up.

It may not be Mac but I'd be really surprised if we don't call up anyone before December if Semin is out. Other options are Scherbak and Thomas but I doubt they get in before Mac. Holloway maybe?

When one gets their chance in life, one has to haul a$$.

Its not MT wearing the skates.

About Mac, as long as he is here for the 2016 PO run. :)

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Funny how he was the worst pick and he's turning out to be the best pick. On any other team he would be playing.

It's not like we need him, I would call up Hudon before him just to see his reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I think he should get some time at some point in the season but obviously not in the same way Ghetto or Thomas were. If he isn't playing (and producing) in the top 9 after several games he should be sent down. I think for a variety of reasons Thomas, Ghetto and Holloway will get first look at RW, and Hudon should see time at the left at some point too.

There is no rush to have him up here as others have said.

hsukhdeo

Dec 17, 2014
do you even watch their game?
i mean mccarron has been good! he some flashes but calling him dominant is a big thing, i would let him finish the whole year in st-john and depending on the habs plan maybe even an other year... i mean if you wanna put him on C i would even wait an other AHL year under his belt hes still young and having top minutes will help a big guy like him! but if he has a realy good end of season and the flashes comes in more than regular basis than you can flip desharnais for picks in the offseason and play Mccarron as a 3C role and then take 2C when plekanecs contract expires, from there plekanec will almost be 36, he could sign a friendly contract and play on a 3C as a realy reliable two way center that can still put up 40points.
I agree, and I would not bring any of McCarron or ScherBak this season...let them truly dominate the AHL for at least a year. Big Mike is off to a great start. Nik is unfortunately hurt and will need a bit more time. The only way i bring McCarron up is if he is leading or one of the league leaders in scoring a la Pacioretty.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's hard to say what's the plan as you have the issue with Semin and what are they going to do with Tinordi as I can't see them going with 1 spare forward. If they are thinking of trading Tinordi for a pick that would free up a roster spot so that they could give someone a look without having to send down Semin. If not then it's not like sending Semin down will impact us since I doubt he gets picked off waivers and it won't cost us much money in cap space.

Scherbak needs to get healthy, he got injured in the playoffs and I'm not sure he's been 100% since as his skating didn't look right in the summer and in the AHL he hasn't looked that good then gets injured, then comes back and gets a different injury. It was the knee from the playoffs last year so they better give him a lot of time off to heal to make sure this time he's at 100%.

I could see them calling up Thomas or Ghetto before McCarron since both they will need to make a decision on for next year as I doubt either will be back in the AHL and both could be used as trade bait in a package type deal perhaps.

It's not like we need him, I would call up Hudon before him just to see his reaction.

Hudon is playing well and deserved a call up last year so perhaps they would.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I agree, and I would not bring any of McCarron or ScherBak this season...let them truly dominate the AHL for at least a year. Big Mike is off to a great start. Nik is unfortunately hurt and will need a bit more time. The only way i bring McCarron up is if he is leading or one of the league leaders in scoring a la Pacioretty.

Well if that's the protocol, book him an Air Canada flight to YUL because he's 4th in scoring in AHL, and as a rookie to boot!!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think one thing that should be noted is that Hudon pretty much did the same thing last year and his production died down so I wouldn't be too hasty in bringing up Big Mac.

But at the same time you can't help but get the vague feeling that McCarron could just keep scoring more and more. Still, I really really want to be patient with him. I'd rather he go through his rough patches in the AHL first.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Hudon's production hasn't gone down, it's actually increased since last year

I think he's referring to the fact that Hudon was the AHL leading scorer up until mid-december or so, and he wasn't called up. Despite starting the season on fire, Hudon cooled off significantly afterwards and finished second in the rookie scoring and tied for 21th in the AHL.

I think it's important to note however that Hudon had Hensick and Ghetto on his line, both two very offensively gifted players; whereas McCarron has been playing with all sorts of wingers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think he's referring to the fact that Hudon was the AHL leading scorer up until mid-december or so, and he wasn't called up. Despite starting the season on fire, Hudon cooled off significantly afterwards and finished second in the rookie scoring and tied for 21th in the AHL.

I think it's important to note however that Hudon had Hensick and Ghetto on his line, both two very offensively gifted players; whereas McCarron has been playing with all sorts of wingers.

correct on Hudon he started the year on fire and it was a given he wouldn't keep up that pace but he did cool as the season went on.

McCarron has played most of the season with Carr and Thomas but for a little he played with Carr and Holloway so he's always been with someone playing well as Carr started slowly but Thomas started well.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Well if that's the protocol, book him an Air Canada flight to YUL because he's 4th in scoring in AHL, and as a rookie to boot!!

Just behind Holloway who is tied for 2cnd with 19 pts in 16 games. Since holloway is a right winger, as well as older and more experienced, i would expect he would get the call up for semins spot before big mac who's developing his game at C right now.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

..... :help:

any bottom 6'er can he as good as Gallagher! yeehaw
man who woulda thought hockey was such a simple game, now if we could only find a an entire team of Gallagher's.. you make it sound easy enough to do eh?

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
For what it's worth, Grant says that Big Mac's impressive start to the season hasn't altered his own expectations for Mac's NHL career. Grant still projects McCarron as a second line or third-line forward.

Perhaps something to keep in mind as many of us may be tempted to think that McCarron may be already worth expectations of elite/first-line production in the NHL some day, even if that is now more plausible than it was before the start of the season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just behind Holloway who is tied for 2cnd with 19 pts in 16 games. Since holloway is a right winger, as well as older and more experienced, i would expect he would get the call up for semins spot before big mac who's developing his game at C right now.

Whenever that Semin experiment ends, I too am hoping it won't be Big Mac getting the call, except for 2 or 3 games, just as a means of rewarding for his YTD performance. Holloway looks like the candidate for a rest of the year opportunity, for the reasons you gave.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I got an idea, bring Mccaron up, put him at center and move Chucky on the right....

Patch-Plekanec-Gally
Flash-DD-Dutch99
Eller-BigMac-Chucky
Flynn-Mitch-DSP

Looks good to me

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Whenever that Semin experiment ends, I too am hoping it won't be Big Mac getting the call, except for 2 or 3 games, just as a means of rewarding for his YTD performance. Holloway looks like the candidate for a rest of the year opportunity, for the reasons you gave.

I would actually waive Semin at this point, call up Holloway and try him with Pleks and Patches, and slot Gallagher in with Eller and Galchenyuk for a while.

I think Holloway will be able to keep up, but if not, we can try McCarron later in the season if he continues to produce and play well for another month or two.

With our balanced scoring approach, and with hopefully a reinvigorated second line, we don't necessarily need a stud on the first line RW, just a guy who can pot a few and not cheat defensively. Holloway might be able to do it and maximize the benefits from his talents that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad