Rumor: Michael kempny to the Sens

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Oduya makes the most sense. I guess it's vague, because when they say Kempny and a "Rockford" player, it makes it sound like we're getting a warm body with Kempny and not a top prospect.

He'd fit in cap wise, the only hitch is that he is likely to hit 750k worth of bonuses which would most likely carry over to next season. I guess that's not a huge deal with the cap rumoured to go up to 80M-82M.

Burrows might be a possibility but I am guessing the Senators would have to take back a few 100k to make it work. He was scratched last night. I'd be surprised if the Senators would trade him, but with Kempny's 900k salary and CHI's 1.6M LTIR relief, there would be just enough cap room to fit Burrows in.

Oduya is my final guess..... Only because I would imagine Kempny's value isn't all that high. He has ties to the CHI organization. The Senators may not want to keep him and pay him an additional 750k, but they also may not want to scratch him over money as that would be a bad look for future free agents.

Reactions: Agalloch

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Oduya does make sense from Ottawa's side, but does it make any sense for Chicago?

Ottawa has LD coming out the wazoo so it makes sense for them to ship one out if taking one in.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Odyua makes literally zero sense for Chicago. He was a trainwreck for us when we traded for him less than 9 months ago and then let him walk as a UFA. We're currently carrying 8 d so trading for another defenseman doesn't make sense unless it's a significant upgrade. Odyua would be a downgrade from any of our LHD... including Kempny.

Pageau/Dizingel make sense as I think we'd be looking for someone to play 3c. Dzingel is from Chicago too.

Then again this is JJ so I wouldn't put too much thought into this...

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Odyua makes literally zero sense for Chicago. He was a trainwreck for us when we traded for him less than 9 months ago and then let him walk as a UFA. We're currently carrying 8 d so trading for another defenseman doesn't make sense unless it's a significant upgrade. Odyua would be a downgrade from any of our LHD... including Kempny.

Pageau/Dizingel make sense as I think we'd be looking for someone to play 3c. Dzingel is from Chicago too.

Oh you know who this JJ is? Is he just a blogger?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Pageau would be huge addition but no way Sens trade him. At least for Kempny and Rockford Dman. :D

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I hope this isn't true. Oduya doesn't make sense from Chicago's POV, and no other roster player outside of Dumont makes sense from Ottawa's POV. So unless it's Oduya, or the prospect is worth more than Kempny, Ottawa would be losing this deal.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Am I missing something? Isn't Kempny like a bottom pairing/7D? So how would it make sense at all for the Senators to trade a legit middle 6 forward in Pageau or Dzingel for a 6/7D and an AHLer.

Unless I'm wrong and Kempny is actually good, or the AHLer is actually a prospect with upside and not just a random scrub included for cap and/or contract purposes.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
How in the world is Kempny with Dzingel or Pageau lol

Burrows Pyatt Harpur Claesson Oduya. One of these guys, sure.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Obviously the people who say Oduya makes sense, don't pay attention the the Hawks, because it doesn't make any sense.

It would be for a forward if they are trading a Dman, Hawks need a 3rd line C.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Wonder who it could be from Rockford. I assumed it would be an oldie but they don't really have any old players. Maybe Martinsen?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't see Chicago adding a bottom 6 guy that makes 3.25mil until 2021, unless OTT retains 50%, which is unlikely knowing their owner.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Obviously the people who say Oduya makes sense, don't pay attention the the Hawks, because it doesn't make any sense.

The problem is that Kempny makes no sense for the Sens, unless it's Oduya going the other way. So this sounds like a whole lotta nothin'.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Oduya will absolutely not be coming back, Kempny is the superior player but is a healthy scratch since "Q is gonna Q". Has to be a trade for a scoring forward, question is if there's anyone on OTT that would be an upgrade and make sense?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Gabriel Dumont is the only option that makes sense value wise/cap wise.

Why wouldn't Oduya makes sense though? Hasn't Kempny been scratched a few times? I know CHI moved on from him, but coaches tend to lean on guys they have history with, and is it all that crazy for a GM to give a coach a veteran D he is comfortable with in a trade where they effectively get him for free and are otherwise handcuffed by the salary cap in terms of what they can add?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad