News Article: Michael Hutchinson speaks: trade request, AHL All-Star controversy, NHL future

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
- he didnt fail to report to the Moose
- he didnt go public with his trade demand. Until now.
- didnt talk to the media
- instead he had an allstar season with the moose

I just dont see the reason to hate on the guy. He even admits Hellebuyck is a great goalie. If either Hutch or Helly had a better season last year I doubt Mason gets signed.

Its also amazing how quickly this fanbase will turn on a goalie. I guess after being abused by management with Pavelec for so long we have a very short fuse.

Also people tend to forget Hutch lead the league in sv% for a big part of the payoffs season. Its too bad we havent seen that form from him since.

That form did return this season though didn't it? People who went to Moose games saw it.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

I just dont see the reason to hate on the guy. He even admits Hellebuyck is a great goalie. If either Hutch or Helly had a better season last year I doubt Mason gets signed.

Its also amazing how quickly this fanbase will turn on a goalie. I guess after being abused by management with Pavelec for so long we have a very short fuse.

Also people tend to forget Hutch lead the league in sv% for a big part of the payoffs season. Its too bad we havent seen that form from him since.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif
\

tenor.gif

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

What hate? I don't get this.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I imagine Mason will stay on IR until after the trade deadline and the I believe the rosters expand and the Jets can keep Hutch up as insurance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Me too on winning.
The narrative Hutch got the same chances are false...period,
It’s too bad Hutch feels this way as I think him and Helle would be a great tandem.
I think a lot of people understand Hutch’s position and those who don’t seem to show a lot of animosity for whatever reason.

I don't believe anyone is saying he got the same opportunities just that he got enough of them to show more than he did. Helle didn't get the same opportunities as Pavs either, one poor season and they brought in a starter. Helle just did what Hutch was unable to do and seize the job away from the incumbent and keep it. I for one am glad the org learned from the Pavs bungle.

As I said I wish Hutch well in his next opportunity, but I will call him out for not owning some responsibility for his situation (Thats not hating the guy its just pointing out that he bares some blame in it and instead scapegoating the org he would be best served to acknowledge his own play).

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Man got his chance, didn’t run with the opportunity. I’m trying to remember what Romo said last year about being a professional athlete, and at any moment you can be replaced.

I’m not gonna regurgitate what has been already said here. I agree with all the posters POV.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your right and as the song goes-you've gotta "keep lookin out for # 1"- If I was Hutch, after having a great year in the AHL, and considering Mason and Helle are starting before him--why should he stick around ?? This is a business, and not the Salvation Army here.

He only has a small window of time to make it in this life, and I'd be doing the same thing if I was him. Time to get out of Dodge.

The Jet's may regret losing Hutch, especially if Mason's concussion problems are a recurring thing ??? Hutch is a pretty damn good Goaltender.

Last edited:

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
doubt they trade him we need insurence incase mason wears another canadian tire helmet in net. he will get his chance in the offseason to be picked up and im sure he finds a back up gig to prove himself. maybe mason gets sent down to the moose to get some games in and get back to normal

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Hutch is still a good guy and good goaltender. It's just that the Jets can't give him exactly what he wants and can't blame him for being upset, I do hope he gets another chance at a starting role but doubt it will happen. I think his best bet is the KHL/Europe next season, I could see him dominating there.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Honestly, I try to give players the benefit of the doubt- but- screw off with this whiny crap.

Why the hell did you re-sign? Yes, you would have been a RFA, and the Jets could have matched, but the writing was on the wall even at that time. I doubt they would have matched.

I have little time for him on this. Hope we deal him. Which is what he wants, I guess.

Meh.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Like I said in the Trade/Speculation thread earlier. The most interesting part was that he asked for a trade and the Jets told him they would attempt to accommodate his request

I like it. Can't bend to every player who does this.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So I subscribe to the Athletic and took time to read the interview before posting.

I feel like Hextall did a very good job asking direct and somewhat blunt questions. She didn’t mince words and gave Michael a chance to “defend” himself.

I thought the full interview came off much more balanced from Hutch than the specific but important quote we started the thread with. That is the same quote I would have used to start this thread as well and paywalls do need to be respected.

Hutch is respectful of TNSE’s position even if it wasn’t in his best interest. He is respectful of the fact Helly has earned the net this year and it was the right call to give him the shot based on how he has performed. He is frustrated because he wanted to be in the NHL with anyone to to start the season and that didn’t happen. Gets that being in limbo is part of the job and understands it’s a business and TNSE have to do what is best for themselves even if it doesn’t align with what is best for individuals. It doesn’t sound to me like he feels they screwed him or anything they said they would trade him if they got the right opprotunity but it didn’t happen.

I thought he did a good job of clearing up some of the controversy around him going to the all star game. Sounds like he and TNSE were on the same page and the travel day back was not bad at all compared to most travel he was use to in the AHL or ECHL. Wake up call at 5:30 flight at 7:00am connecting through Chicago for a 1 hour lay over and he was back in Winning by 11:45 AM and still got in his normal pregame nap and felt great going into the game. Said TNSE could have squashed it if they wanted to but they were happy for him since it was his first ever appearance in an all star game.

My opinion is similar to most on here. I like the guy and wished it would have played out differently and although he didn’t get the Pavs shot he got ample opprotunity to prove himself over the years and didn’t get it done.

We needed to make change and as The article points out
The duo left enough to be desired that Jets’ captain Blake Wheeler called out the position, telling Matt Larkin of The Hockey News, “For us to get where we need to go, we need to have that position solidified. We need better goaltending.

We needed to fix the net in the off season and he understands that and knew he was odd man out just wished he would have got dealt in the offseason.

What I will say is there is still season left and he has been having a great year again “finally” so good on him he has a chapter left to write here. I am pretty sure he and the Jets will part ways in the off season and hopefully he goes out with a Calder cup championship on his resume or who knows maybe he is needed on the Jets and shines.

No matter what I wish nothing but the best for him.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't believe anyone is saying he got the same opportunities just that he got enough of them to show more than he did. Helle didn't get the same opportunities as Pavs either, one poor season and they brought in a starter. Helle just did what Hutch was unable to do and seize the job away from the incumbent and keep it. I for one am glad the org learned from the Pavs bungle.

As I said I wish Hutch well in his next opportunity, but I will call him out for not owning some responsibility for his situation (Thats not hating the guy its just pointing out that he bares some blame in it and instead scapegoating the org he would be best served to acknowledge his own play).
This I can agree with.
Hutch did drop the ball.
The organization can be compared to new parents who let the first child ( Pavs)
get away with bad behaviour.
Hutch subsequently didn’t get the same opportunities nor should he.
The statements he got the same opportunity is then false.
I agree with King Bogo that we should no longer continue to keep inferior players in the line up going forward.
I don’t blame Hutch for wanting to move on and I wish him well.
When Pavs finally left I wanted him to do well also.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This I can agree with.
Hutch did drop the ball.
The organization can be compared to new parents who let the first child ( Pavs)
get away with bad behaviour.
Hutch subsequently didn’t get the same opportunities nor should he.
The statements he got the same opportunity is then false.
I agree with King Bogo that we should no longer continue to keep inferior players in the line up going forward.
I don’t blame Hutch for wanting to move on and I wish him well.
When Pavs finally left I wanted him to do well also.
I like the new parents analogy. I like to think Chevy has learned on the job since 2011. Just because a mistake was made early in his GM career, doesn't mean he intends to repeat it.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There are two ends to the scale... There is the one side of having a fair opportunity to show your wares ... and then on the other end we have the Pavlecian opportunity.

So was it fair that Hutch was not gifted the position as a starter for 5 years? Maybe not, but making a mistake with one player doesn't mean you should ever repeat it.

Hutch was given a fair opportunity. And yes he was not given the Pavlecian opportunity, nor should any goalie ever be given that opportunity again.. EVER! What we did with Pavlec ( man I thought we were finished ever mentioning his name again ) was a mistake, a huge mistake. One to never be repeated.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->