Michael Dal Colle (C/LW)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We waited forever for DeHaan, Lee and a few others...MAYBE he turns the corner soon..

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Maybe he is one of those talents that should have come right to the nhl. If we selected mdc in 2007 he would have been an nhler from day 1. Maybe he would have been Jeff Skinner. Hamonic had a cup of coffee at Bridgeport and came right up . In those years that's how we did it. Our sniper with his 2 goals in 21 games is more like
A little plastic pop gun . Let's call him up . I mean it. It's early enough in the year. Keep him up for 20 games
Let him play in 10-12 of them . Maybe he lights it up .maybe a couple NHL paychecks start to look real nice. Maybe
He is getting stale in Bridgeport . What if he outplays Nelson ?
At worst he would be Nelson . At worst he would be an invisible
Non engaging , non defending , shooter who pots a few .
At best he scores 4-6 goals ,starts to have fun, and we never look back. These things do happen to players.
If it's a fail he goes back to Bridgeport, the season still has 30 - 35 games left, and we bring him up for the black aces later.
For me , this is the perfect time to give him a shot .

LGI

I figure it's better than just coming here and bashing him .

LGI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Maybe he is one of those talents that should have come right to the nhl. If we selected mdc in 2007 he would have been an nhler from day 1. Maybe he would have been Jeff Skinner. Hamonic had a cup of coffee at Bridgeport and came right up . In those years that's how we did it. Our sniper with his 2 goals in 21 games is more like
A little plastic pop gun . Let's call him up . I mean it. It's early enough in the year. Keep him up for 20 games
Let him play in 10-12 of them . Maybe he lights it up .maybe a couple NHL paychecks start to look real nice. Maybe
At best he scores 4-6 goals ,starts to have fun, and we never look back. These things do happen to players.
If it's a fail he goes back to Bridgeport, the season still has 30 - 35 games left, and we bring him up for the black aces later.

LGI

LGI
Bashing him is better than playing him. Maybe Edmonton is looking for a scorer, and we can get another Barzal for him.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Reinhart hurts the most, because we had such an enormous need for a blue chip D prospect (I mean, we still do), there were so many to choose from who were similarly rated, and we picked the worst one. But now that we have Barzal, who cares.

Reinhart didn't hurt at all. Yes, he seems useless as an NHL player, but he's one of the best picks we've made in decades.

Reactions: Svengoolie

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Reinhart didn't hurt at all. Yes, he seems useless as an NHL player, but he's one of the best picks we've made in decades.

Well yeah I know we got Barzal. It doesn't make it OK that we squandered a top five pick at our biggest position of need in the middle of a rebuild.

It's nuts to me how folks are OK we any chain of events that provides for future hope. Like, it's not like he's a super star or anything but adding Morgan Rielly to the lineup the past few years would have made a huge difference personnel-wise.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It would be very odd for Dal Colle to "turn the corner" at 21 years old. Dal Colle had played 2 seasons of major junior by the time he turned 18. Lee was playing multiple sports in high school and took a bridge year at the USHL before college. He had WAY more to learn about the NHL game as a 21 year old. De Haan is a defenseman who struggled with shoulder injuries.

What's much more likely is that Dal Colle peaked physically earlier. He's probably the fastest and most explosive as he'll ever be right now. What seems to have gone wrong was his physical projection.

I really wanted Ehlers for the pick because Ehlers was the most explosive player available. But scouts who had watched infinitely more junior hockey than me were confident in Dal Colle's projection. So...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We waited forever for DeHaan, Lee and a few others...MAYBE he turns the corner soon..
His trade value has taken such a hit,that is makes no sense to move him now.
Leave him to work with Thompson.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Well yeah I know we got Barzal. It doesn't make it OK that we squandered a top five pick at our biggest position of need in the middle of a rebuild.

It's nuts to me how folks are OK we any chain of events that provides for future hope. Like, it's not like he's a super star or anything but adding Morgan Rielly to the lineup the past few years would have made a huge difference personnel-wise.

Morgan Rielly is one of the guys who I wanted, Dumba was the other. With that said, there were some pundits who believed that maybe Reinhart should have gone 1st overall.

Lately, I've ignored the game off the ice much more than I have in the last 25 years. All this coulda, woulda, shoulda can drive me insane. If having Reilly would mean not having Barzal, don't think I'd love that.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

I think most of us would rather have Barzal than Morgan Rielly, so being upset that we don't have Rielly instead of Barzal seems kinda silly to me.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I think most of us would rather have Barzal than Morgan Rielly, so being upset that we don't have Rielly instead of Barzal seems kinda silly to me.

That's a gross distortion of my point. I'm not upset that this process left us with Barzal, I'm upset about the years of bad drafting. All the Matt Barzals in the world doesn't make it OK that our rebuild wasted a couple years it didn't have to, and shortchanged our roster for years. After all, hoping to turn a bust into a mid first round pick, and hoping that mid first rounder becomes a star, isn't a plan.

It amazes me how casually some fans accept wasting years of their fandom. I like this team. It doesn't make me OK with the crappy seasons from 2008 through 2012. And I would have been even happier if the past few years of playoff-caliber teams had the talent needed to make them cup contenders.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

LGI

LGI

LOL, his worst is not Nelson. His worst can be WAY worse than that. No idea unless we see it, but I don't think a team in the mix for the playoffs needs to spend their focus on worrying about an under-performing former high draft pick. Let him wallow away into nothingness instead of costing us a playoff birth. #bigpicture

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
His worst is an AHL lifer or playing in the Norwegian League or any such second rate European league.

I think it is time to get worried about his lack of goals, but does he get top minutes in Bridgeport? Detroit in the prime liked their prospects "over ripe" so with the right tutoring there is still hope, but he does need to show some improvement pretty soon.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
His worst is an AHL lifer or playing in the Norwegian League or any such second rate European league.

I think it is time to get worried about his lack of goals, but does he get top minutes in Bridgeport? Detroit in the prime liked their prospects "over ripe" so with the right tutoring there is still hope, but he does need to show some improvement pretty soon.

Isles should have signed an AHL veteran center to play with him. He needs a play maker badly. I really think that would have done a lot for his development. It is not too late but the window is closing.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
LOL, his worst is not Nelson. His worst can be WAY worse than that. No idea unless we see it, but I don't think a team in the mix for the playoffs needs to spend their focus on worrying about an under-performing former high draft pick. Let him wallow away into nothingness instead of costing us a playoff birth. #bigpicture

How have fans conditioned themselves thinking the worst thing is a player who scores 25 goals and sucks at everything else? I can name you dozens of former Islanders who sucked at all facets of the game AND couldn't score.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
We should be so lucky that he turns into Nelson. MDC will never make the NHL as a regular player.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
How have fans conditioned themselves thinking the worst thing is a player who scores 25 goals and sucks at everything else? I can name you dozens of former Islanders who sucked at all facets of the game AND couldn't score.

Hey, but in his defense Bruno Gervais had a nice personality and was a great cook!

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
It would be very odd for Dal Colle to "turn the corner" at 21 years old. Dal Colle had played 2 seasons of major junior by the time he turned 18. Lee was playing multiple sports in high school and took a bridge year at the USHL before college. He had WAY more to learn about the NHL game as a 21 year old. De Haan is a defenseman who struggled with shoulder injuries.

What's much more likely is that Dal Colle peaked physically earlier. He's probably the fastest and most explosive as he'll ever be right now. What seems to have gone wrong was his physical projection.

I really wanted Ehlers for the pick because Ehlers was the most explosive player available. But scouts who had watched infinitely more junior hockey than me were confident in Dal Colle's projection. So...

He is 21. Would not be ODD at all. Also jus because he is 6'3 already doesnt mean his body has peaked. He has a nice frame to fill out and at 21 this is the prime time to do it. May never happen if he doesnt put in the work but its all in his control. He can easily get bigger, stronger, faster, and not play the game like a weenie.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
People can preach patience all they want with Dal Colle, but anyone and everyone should be thinking that he's going to be a bust as opposed to regular NHLer (much less impact player).

Name another player who wasn't scoring in a league outside the NHL and then started doing so in the NHL. There's time for him to get it together, but I think the bigger issue is...Does he have the tools to succeed at the NHL or perhaps, just perhaps, snow & co got it terribly wrong (again) and completely misjudged his skills translating to the NHL (or even the AHL).

Where you are present day should show everyone your best hockey - That you may not be ready for the big time, but are improving towards your potential. However right now Dal Colle is showing me nothing to think that he's going to make it in the NHL.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That's a gross distortion of my point. I'm not upset that this process left us with Barzal, I'm upset about the years of bad drafting. All the Matt Barzals in the world doesn't make it OK that our rebuild wasted a couple years it didn't have to, and shortchanged our roster for years. After all, hoping to turn a bust into a mid first round pick, and hoping that mid first rounder becomes a star, isn't a plan.

It amazes me how casually some fans accept wasting years of their fandom. I like this team. It doesn't make me OK with the crappy seasons from 2008 through 2012. And I would have been even happier if the past few years of playoff-caliber teams had the talent needed to make them cup contenders.
So, you'd rather have Barzal instead of Rielly, but you're upset about the moves that caused us to have Barzal instead of Rielly? Seems like it's exactly your point.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
So, you'd rather have Barzal instead of Rielly, but you're upset about the moves that caused us to have Barzal instead of Rielly? Seems like it's exactly your point.

I don't understand what you're confused about. It's bad that we drafted so poorly between 2010 and 2014. I wish we had drafted better, so that we had better players, so that being an Islanders fan would have been more fulfilling between 2010 and the present day.

I'm glad that in 2015, we managed to recoup value for one of those awful mistakes, and that's it's bearing fruit in 2017, and that fruit is Matt Barzal and he's awesome and we should all name our children after him. It doesn't mean I have amnesia about the mistakes. (And it's not like I'm some anti-Snow zealot—I think he's been an okay GM).

I don't consider any of that counter-intuitive.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't understand what you're confused about. It's bad that we drafted so poorly between 2010 and 2014. I wish we had drafted better, so that we had better players, so that being an Islanders fan would have been more fulfilling between 2010 and the present day.

I'm glad that in 2015, we managed to recoup value for one of those awful mistakes, and that's it's bearing fruit in 2017, and that fruit is Matt Barzal and he's awesome and we should all name our children after him. It doesn't mean I have amnesia about the mistakes. (And it's not like I'm some anti-Snow zealot—I think he's been an okay GM).

I don't consider any of that counter-intuitive.
I guess I just think it'd be difficult to trade Reinhart for Barzal if we don't have Reinhart is all. You're the one that seems to have amnesia, as you continue to ignore that crucial element of the trade that netted us the pick to select Barzal.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I guess I just think it'd be difficult to trade Reinhart for Barzal if we don't have Reinhart is all. You're the one that seems to have amnesia, as you continue to ignore that crucial element of the trade that netted us the pick to select Barzal.

You think I forgot that we traded Reinhart for Barzal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad