Mexico Elite Hockey League

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Hockey is not even close to be an almost popular sport in Mexico, for example I live in the 2nd-3rd biggest city of the country and I know like 3 or 4 people who like hockey. Of course if any NHL teams come to play a preseason game our city arena will be at full capacity(17,000.00) but that's a different story.

Hockey in Mexico is a sport for the Medium Upper class and we can have an 8 team amateur league with cheap tickets and few attendance but that's it.

In Mexico is like this:

Soccer>>>>>>>Baseball>>>Football>>>Basketball>>>>>Everything else>>>>>Hockey.

Plus there's no promotion for the NHL in Mexico!!! We have NFL Mexico with games on Local and Cable T.V and you can see Monday Night games in several of our local Cinema theaters , MLB games on Cable & Local T.V, NBA en español, but nothing on NHL.

No, you live in the biggest city and one of the biggest cities on earth! Your profile says you live in Mexico City which is HUGE and by far the biggest city in Mexico.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Plus there's no promotion for the NHL in Mexico!!! We have NFL Mexico with games on Local and Cable T.V and you can see Monday Night games in several of our local Cinema theaters , MLB games on Cable & Local T.V, NBA en español, but nothing on NHL.

Have they added NHL games to Mexican Networks yet?

I feel the NHL is so narrow minded and focuses so much on just a few markets at growing the sport. They are the only league out of the big leagues that do nothing to grow outside of Canada/USA :rant:. It looks like there is some real potential in Mexico that the NHL doesn't seem to realize.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Have they added NHL games to Mexican Networks yet?

I feel the NHL is so narrow minded and focuses so much on just a few markets at growing the sport. They are the only league out of the big leagues that do nothing to grow outside of Canada/USA :rant:. It looks like there is some real potential in Mexico that the NHL doesn't seem to realize.

I think that they are just hesitant due to the mixed success they have had trying to make hockey popular in the southern US. But yeah, the NHL is missing out on a real opportunity and the least they should do is try and get a TV deal in Mexico so they can expand the fan base in North America.

El Gato Bodegero

Oct 22, 2008
Mexico City
I think that they are just hesitant due to the mixed success they have had trying to make hockey popular in the southern US. But yeah, the NHL is missing out on a real opportunity and the least they should do is try and get a TV deal in Mexico so they can expand the fan base in North America.

The NHL have a TV deal with SKY and they cover 7 games a week, 1 game each day. Most of the time they choose some great games. For example this week it was Kings vs Capitals, Blackhawks vs Rangers, Kings vs Blues, Flyers vs Canadiens etc etc

I noticed that they transmit almost the entire NHL Playoffs. I don't have Sky but a cousin has the service and when its the playoffs they always broadcast the games.

I've been to sports bars and restaurants and to my surprise many places broadcast the NHL Playoffs and people do watch it. I think it is because of the intensity of the games, level of gameplay and everyone skating so hard etc etc..

All regular season games are broadcast in English with the Home TV feed. In Playoff games its NBC I think.

El Gato Bodegero

Oct 22, 2008
Mexico City
No, you live in the biggest city and one of the biggest cities on earth! Your profile says you live in Mexico City which is HUGE and by far the biggest city in Mexico.

That post was 8 years old, time goes by so fast. I moved to Mexico City 4 years ago. But the city is really HUGE and like any big city I've noticed that there's more NHL followers than what I taught.

The NHL should have a word with the NFL to learn how to do it because the NFL fan base here is enormous and probably bigger than most us cities. In such short time Football surpassed baseball :amazed:

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
My family almost moved from Connecticut to Mexico City in 1994. Instead, we went to Atlanta.

I love going to Mexico City on business. It's safe, clean, and has great food and culture. One of the most interesting statistics is that 1 of 6 of its residents earn more than $90k USD per year -- which is why we have offices there.

I've decided that on my next trip I'm going to extend it to a weekend. I want to visit Puebla and Toluca.

I just want to figure out how I can finagle my way to Guanajuato.

Last edited:

MexicoRon

Oct 9, 2017
The growth on the women's side is tremendous. Also, some kids are starting to trickle onto junior teams in Canada and the U.S. Growing the game in Mexico would be fantastic, at least exhibition games should be explored in Mexico City. Long overdue.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the new logos and jersey were unveiled back in october i believe.

aztec-eagle-warriors.jpg

mayan-astronomers.jpg

olmec-stone-heads.jpg

teotihuacan-priests.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->