Cut/Released: Mets designate Matt Harvey for assignment

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Mets fans will obviously know more about the situation than me, but to me it sounds like a stubborn guy who can’t accept the fact his stuff isn’t as good as it used to be.

I watched a game a few weeks ago and they were showing that even though his average fastball velocity is 4-5-whatever MPH less than it used to be, he was still throwing it almost exactly the same amount. Looks like a guy who has never adapted from being a thrower to a pitcher.

Last edited:

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
His decline seems to be getting blamed on his personal traits, but the list of pitchers with thoracic outlet syndrome is pretty ugly. Not to say Matt comes off very likable though.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
His attitude sucks but people have been over dramatizing it a bit. He had two humongous arm injuries in a really short time span.

His body is ravaged.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
While we will never know..it is of course possible that his lifestyle played a role in those injuries. There's ways athletes should take care of themselves and their bodies...and being a 'party animal' isn't exactly conducive to that.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
His attitude sucks but people have been over dramatizing it a bit. He had two humongous arm injuries in a really short time span.

His body is ravaged.

Pretty much. A lot of the same stuff went on when he was great and no one batted an eye because the results were there. The attitude and off field stuff certainly didn't help but this was a guy who had two huge and career damaging surgeries and clearly doesn't have the same stuff. As someone said earlier, he never changed from a thrower to a pitcher despite seeing a significant drop in velocity post TOS. If he wants to stay in baseball, he's going to have to reinvent himself and learn how to pitch because what he did in the past isn't going to cut it anymore.

Right call by the Mets too. I thought they'd let this drag on but they did the right thing in cutting bait now.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
His injuries and conditions are why he isn’t good anymore but his attitude is why he won’t get better again. If Lincecum couldn’t turn it around with a great attitude there is no way Harvey does.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Very sad what injuries did to Harvey. A complete shell of a pitcher he used to be. Still young such a shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad