Metroid: Samus Returns

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Holy hell this game is fun!

Anyone else playing? I just got to Area 3 and was having a hard time but I went back re-explored some areas I couldn't get to with my equipment at the time and found another energy tank. I REALLY needed that.

Anyways, for any Metroid fan this game is just straight up fun / amazing!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I am, great game. Love that they added the original metroid 2 game boy cover art.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I am, great game. Love that they added the original metroid 2 game boy cover art.

The world just needs good Metroidvania games and Castlevania has been slacking some lately so it’s really good to have this one. I am really glad they tried to keep it really pure too and not add a bunch of useless story and cutscenes or something. It’s a really good reboot.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Played the first two areas so far. I love it. I played the Prime series, but only briefly started Super Metroid last year, maybe getting 5 hours in, so this is my first full run-through of a 2D Metroid game. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The controls really took a little while for me to get used to, so I died a bunch early on, but now I've got the hang of it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Played the first two areas so far. I love it. I played the Prime series, but only briefly started Super Metroid last year, maybe getting 5 hours in, so this is my first full run-through of a 2D Metroid game. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The controls really took a little while for me to get used to, so I died a bunch early on, but now I've got the hang of it.

I agree. I didn't know you could press X against anything other than the big flyer guys until like 3hrs into it :laugh:

Kept getting my butt kicked by these guys that roll at you once they see you. Once I realized I could melee them and many other creatures the game got a lot more fun to play.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Played a ton over the weekend.

Thoughts:
- Easily the most aggressive game in the franchise. Samus is a killing machine in this game and the enemies are plentiful.

- The game is pretty damn hard! I have died a lot, way more than in any other game in the franchise. Tough but fair is how I'd describe it.

- The boss fights, especially the later ones are a ton of fun and the most intese ones all had me out ammo (well super missiles) and one or two energy tanks left. The last one was exhilarating, that is no exaggeration.

- The controls are a mess. Samus can do a lot of stuff and while the game is generally very responsive (notable exceptions include: "would you grab the damn ledge and stay put?!" and "no no no, stay in morph ball!!!! Ffffffffffff......"), the learning curve on how to effectively switch weapons AND powers in tight spots is very steep.

- The powers are great and love how the final one is a really clever design of a power from Super Metroid.

- The scan pulse is a god-sent: you can choose when to use it so purists and newcomers are happy.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's a good game, and mechanically it's very sound. However, the developers failed to grasp what made Metroid 2 such a special part in the continuity of Metroid. It's such an important game, and more people need to play it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Played a ton over the weekend.

Thoughts:
- Easily the most aggressive game in the franchise. Samus is a killing machine in this game and the enemies are plentiful.

- The game is pretty damn hard! I have died a lot, way more than in any other game in the franchise. Tough but fair is how I'd describe it.

- The boss fights, especially the later ones are a ton of fun and the most intese ones all had me out ammo (well super missiles) and one or two energy tanks left. The last one was exhilarating, that is no exaggeration.

- The controls are a mess. Samus can do a lot of stuff and while the game is generally very responsive (notable exceptions include: "would you grab the damn ledge and stay put?!" and "no no no, stay in morph ball!!!! Ffffffffffff......"), the learning curve on how to effectively switch weapons AND powers in tight spots is very steep.

- The powers are great and love how the final one is a really clever design of a power from Super Metroid.

- The scan pulse is a god-sent: you can choose when to use it so purists and newcomers are happy.
Pretty much agree with everything here, though I haven't beat it yet. Your last point is a good one. I got into an area and really got lost, been playing for about an hour and hadn't saved yet. TGFSP (Thank God For Scan Pulse).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I take it scan pulse is a 'where to go next' tool? Metroid's usually been pretty good with this, I don't know about the various portable games but at least starting with Metroid Prime you could always turn the notifications on or off. Personally I find Metroid much more enjoyable having it off going old school style, and only turning it on if completely stumped.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's a good game, and mechanically it's very sound. However, the developers failed to grasp what made Metroid 2 such a special part in the continuity of Metroid. It's such an important game, and more people need to play it.

Nice video. This guy does make great stuff.

I sort of disagree that Samus Returns fails at capturing what Metroid II is about though. I mean his reasoning is more than sound but at the same time, we don't have the limitations of 1991 anymore, so I wouldn't judge this game as failing to respect them.

This game is all about combat and Samus is effectively carrying out a genocide. Making the game about combat makes sense, making more atmospheric sounds better than it would have actually been. Technical limitations being common and understood means gamers were more "forgiving" of them (do note that Metroid II wasn't very popular) in 1991, this is not the case in 2017.

His point about the final sequence and it's lack of enemies was great, definitely a missed opportunity for this game.

I take it scan pulse is a 'where to go next' tool? Metroid's usually been pretty good with this, I don't know about the various portable games but at least starting with Metroid Prime you could always turn the notifications on or off. Personally I find Metroid much more enjoyable having it off going old school style, and only turning it on if completely stumped.

It is a item that allows you to reveal a portion of the map around you.

But you can choose not to use it (I believe you have to pick it up however) so that was a nice nod to the old school.

---

Finished the game last night.

The final two bosses are homeruns in terms of gameplay. Holy hell were they hard!!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Beat the game, overall it is excellent. The game takes a bit to get going, there are definitely some stale parts but it is worth it in the end.

Now time to wait for Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, Nintendo hardware has made me very happy in 2017.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Im stuck. I got 14 Metroids left

The last thing I unlocked was the tri-shot where you can open the doors with 3 eyeballs. Oh and space jump. I just got that too. I have been everywhere around my current area, I think its area 4? So I am going back to other areas to see if there is something else I can unlock.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just beat it. Loved the game, even enough to 100% it. Unlocking new power-ups is just so rewarding, having no idea how to open certain doors early on in the game (never played the original).

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I bought the special edition of this and I still need to even start playing it. I've only ever truly played one Metroid game and that was Fusion. Loved that game so much.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Im stuck. I got 14 Metroids left

The last thing I unlocked was the tri-shot where you can open the doors with 3 eyeballs. Oh and space jump. I just got that too. I have been everywhere around my current area, I think its area 4? So I am going back to other areas to see if there is something else I can unlock.

I can tell you that you never need to go back to a previous area to get an ability that will allow you to progress.

Whatever you need is in the area you are in, backtracking only provides additional missile tanks and such.

Did a normal and a hard 100% run. Took 14 hours for the first and 10 for the second. Didn't use the scan pulse for my hard run, it was a lot of fun.

Great value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad