Metal Gear Survive charges money for extra save slots

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Metal Gear Survive charges money for extra save slots

Metal Gear Survive charges money for extra save slots | PC Gamer
In an unusual move, Metal Gear Survive charges its players for extra save slots. First noticed on reddit and verified by us, if you want to create a new save slot beyond the first, you'll need to fork out "1000 SV Coins". SV Coins are an in-game currency which can only be purchased with real money.

Basically, once the 'New Game' option is clicked, and assuming one save game already exists, you'll be met with this message:
missing-image.svg

At the time of writing the cost of 1150 SV Coins is US$9.99. Meanwhile, 30 SV Coins are currently gifted with every daily login. Here's the full breakdown of ways to acquire these coins:
  • 100 SV coins - $0.99
  • 550 SV coins - $4.99
  • 1150 SV coins - $9.99
  • 3500 SV coins - $29.99
  • 6000 SV coins - $49.99
You'll note that "playing the game" isn't among these options, because it isn't an option. Aside from the log-in bonuses, SV Coins can only be acquired with real world money. Which means, if you happened to want two characters on the go in MGS, then you have to pay up.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

It is SO hard to get excited for AAA games these days. I mean, Lord knows I try....

(Not that I was even the slightest bit interested in this particular game, but if Konami can get away with it....)

Reactions: Lancer

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Lol. Microtransactions and always online for an adventure single/co-op mode game. I guess they see everyone from Microsoft to PvP games to Adobe have all already put in stuff likelike subscrip systems and in some cases microtransctions like this and they want a piece.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Only if the game actually sells copies...:sarcasm:

I haven't really got into the series, but I get the impression from fans that this is considered a joke game.
Yeah I have never been an MGS fan so I will never know. Its definitely not as big as Star Wars or EA.

Now it seems to be a competition to see who can match BF2
Sad but kind of true if you think about it. I mean people are just going to say "As long as we don't eff up AS bad as EA did with BF2 nobody will get as mad."

Its troubling because I remember when DLC first came out and one of the most infamous ones was $5 for cosmetic horse armor in Oblivion. People were literally lighting their Xbox's on fire and cursing Bethesda. Now? $5 for something cosmetic? What a deal!!!!

I actually typed out a whole rant about DLC just now but decided it was too long haha.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I have never been an MGS fan so I will never know. Its definitely not as big as Star Wars or EA.

Sad but kind of true if you think about it. I mean people are just going to say "As long as we don't eff up AS bad as EA did with BF2 nobody will get as mad."

Its troubling because I remember when DLC first came out and one of the most infamous ones was $5 for cosmetic horse armor in Oblivion. People were literally lighting their Xbox's on fire and cursing Bethesda. Now? $5 for something cosmetic? What a deal!!!!

I actually typed out a whole rant about DLC just now but decided it was too long haha.

I remember that. I swore that i would never pay for a DLC in my life when they first stared coming out, and yet.......

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

The fact that it was a name as big as Star Wars and that lootboxes can raise legislative concerns are two big factors as to why BF2 blew up so badly.

This will probably be your standard gamer rage situation as they continue to push the line of what is acceptable.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am confused how this stuff makes enough money to exist.

Like, I grew up on MGS, presumably I am right in their target demo, but I could not give less of a f*** about this game.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The fact that it was a name as big as Star Wars and that lootboxes can raise legislative concerns are two big factors as to why BF2 blew up so badly.

This will probably be your standard gamer rage situation as they continue to push the line of what is acceptable.
Yup and eventually (like horse armor, season passes, planned DLC... etc) its something people rage about now but will be the norm in a few years.

I remember that. I swore that i would never pay for a DLC in my life when they first stared coming out, and yet.......
Exactly! I spent $40 once on Overwatch loot boxes (50 of them). I wont lie, I had fun opening them and getting excited about the new skins and such I was unlocking. And clicking open and for that 1.5 seconds looking at the colors of the disks flipping through the air hoping one of them is gold for a legendary item, I can see how its addicting to people. Definitely not worth $40 and I won't do that again but it was fun for about 10 minutes haha.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Only if the game actually sells copies...:sarcasm:

I haven't really got into the series, but I get the impression from fans that this is considered a joke game.

Hopefully it's so unsuccessful that it discourages other companies from doing similar junk online games with their IP.

Last thing we need is more copycats of this.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This is an outlier. Konami basically has gone off the deep end post MGS5.

Hell Survive is literally MGS 5's assets repurposed to make whatever the **** it's supposed to be. It is the textbook definition of cash in attempt so the save data thing isn't surprising in the least.

Any other company trying this would get crucified. Konami gets away with it because everyone knows Konami is a joke now and couldn't care less.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
That is so weird. But I haven't heard anything about this game before this thread so I don't imagine many will care. I'd be surprised if it sells more than 500,000 copies. Who in the world is interested in a zombie MGS game. Kojima seems to have ridiculed it as well.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

No doubt. Companies will keep pushing the envelope until we long for the shit that used to suck, but not suck quite as bad. Season passes, DLC, "special editions" are very rarely actually worth the money spent on them, but I personally long for the days when the big outrage was the extra mission taken out of a game to sell as a pre-order bonus. That's still a garbage practice, but I don't find it nearly as annoying as "Pay $10 to access your own f***ing hard drive" with this game or whatever the hell you want to call what BF2 was at launch. It's an effective strategy. Games are actually being praised now for "only" having microtransactions, which that alone used to piss people off. There has to be a breaking point eventually. We're going to have to voice our opinions with our wallet collectively as a society for it to change.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
The Microtransactions in MGSV were ridiculous as well. The FOB element was unfair to the consumer.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
EA are peak capitalist crooks looking to exploit gormless western gamers as much as they possibly can, but Konami is a total hell hole even by comparison. Surprised they bothered making another video game considering it's far less profitable than their pachinko and "insurance"/yakuza businesses over in Japan. At least EA isn't (to my knowledge) preventing ex-employees from applying for health care or threatening them if they put their time at Konami on their resumes when applying to another job.

Kojima is not the only former Konami employee -- or "ex-Kon" if you will -- facing obstacles after leaving the company.

A staffing agency employee who asked not to be named said he notifies gaming companies if a prospective hire is an ex-Kon. He said that is because Konami files complaints to gaming companies who take on its former employees.

One major gaming company went so far as to warn its staff against hiring ex-Kon. There was even a case in which a former Konami employee moved to a construction company before joining another gaming company, hoping to throw people off the scent.

One ex-Kon described his surprise at learning that Konami had instructed an employee at a television company not to deal with its former employees. In another case, a former Konami executive was forced to close his business due to pressure from the gaming giant.

Ex-Kons are not allowed to put their Konami experience on their public resumes. "If you leave the company, you cannot rely on Konami's name to land a job," explained a former employee. If an ex-Kon is interviewed by the media, the company will send that person a letter through a legal representative, in some cases indicating that Konami is willing to take them to court.

The Konami exodus - Nikkei Asian Review

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Game looks so f'ing dull, so wouldn't dream of buying it but wtf is this? It's getting ridiculous.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wow this really wasn't an element I was expecting to see come over from free to play models, though I'm guessing Komani is just an extreme **** up and you won't see much more of it. Not necessarily with slave slots but one of the first things you'll notice in a FTP MMO's is that you have an annoyingly limited inventory space but can pay money to unlock more.

Not too bothered by that in a FTP game because the game is free up front and they do need to make money, but imagine seeing that in the next $60+ bioware RPG?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I watched some footage of this game tonight.

I usually try not to completely crap on a game, but what the actual hell is this game? It looks like GARBAGE.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The older gameplay trailers didn't look that bad but watching the gameplay more is so strange. 90% of it is just warping a fence in front of you and poking zombies as the swarm to the fence

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Yeah this game obviously sucks, but then again so has every Metal Gear Solid game since 3 and the funny thing is that if this game was Kojima’s doing people would probably be eating it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->