Messier retirement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

[Whats this Vladmimir Kovin stuff everyone is bringing up?]

Anyway sorry to see the WHA relic go - it was neat watching him in Toronto a couple of years ago and seeing a guy skate in a familiar style and do everything just like it was 1984 again.

remember his 1981 challenge to Robinson when he threatened to slice him with his stick? A famous picture went national the next day.

He was a top power forward for many years - he basically had the career Lindros should have and retired with the accolades Lindros should have too.

Like Sather said: "he wasnt the type of guy who asked to be put on at the end to try for an empty netter like some others "

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:

Anyway sorry to see the WHA relic go - it was neat watching him in Toronto a couple of years ago and seeing a guy skate in a familiar style and do everything just like it was 1984 again.

remember his 1981 challenge to Robinson when he threatened to slice him with his stick? A famous picture went national the next day.

He was a top power forward for many years - he basically had the career Lindros should have and retired with the accolades Lindros should have too.

Like Sather said: "he wasnt the type of guy who asked to be put on at the end to try for an empty netter like some others "

Congratulations on being a first class ******* even when trying to say something nice.

chooch said:

Lindros has no business being mentioned in the same paragraph as Messier. Ever. The sooner Lindros retires and people forget is the sooner I stop seeing the words "Should," "Would," and "Could" associated with his name, the happier I will be.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Malefic74 said:
Lindros has no business being mentioned in the same paragraph as Messier. Ever. The sooner Lindros retires and people forget is the sooner I stop seeing the words "Should," "Would," and "Could" associated with his name, the happier I will be.

Consider the source, Malefic, my friend...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Malefic74 said:
Lindros has no business being mentioned in the same paragraph as Messier. Ever.

How soon people forget.

Lindros had an absolute Hall of Fame calibre start to his career. It's only because of injuries and Clarke's meddling that his career has stalled the way it has.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Stephen said:
How soon people forget.

Lindros had an absolute Hall of Fame calibre start to his career. It's only because of injuries and Clarke's meddling that his career has stalled the way it has.

Clarke's "meddling" had nothing to do with anything. Injuries and inability to keep his head up derialed a career that should have had him become a top 5 all-time player.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Stephen said:
How soon people forget.

Explain "Clarke's meddling."

All the crap about Lindros was stirred up by Carl and Bonny Lindros. Unless you're blaming Bobby Clarke for making a young Eric Lindros the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers and captain of Team Canada in 1998.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Stephen said:
How soon people forget.

Right, and if it weren't for our respective parent's genes, you would have been Brad Pitt and I Tom Cruise. ;)

Could of, would of, should of. A weak lament.

Life's unfair. Lindros wasn't an alltime great. Messier is a certifiable alltime great. End of story.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Messier was brought to the Oilers as a fourth line grinder... how's that for exceeding expectations?

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:

I'd like to see a reliable source on that quote... :biglaugh:

Stephen said:
How soon people forget.

Not at all. I do remember and back then Lindros was close to Messier but hadn't won anything yet, but was a similar player.

The point is that their two careers taken as a whole Lindros is nowhere near Messier in any single category other than height and weight. But a Hall of Fame START means absolutely zero if that level isn't maintained. The reasons are completely irrelevant.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
DrMoses said:
I'd like to see a reliable source on that quote... :biglaugh:

It's about as realistic as Bowman saying "That Gainey is a class act. He took plenty of third period shifts in blowouts when Viagara Pimp was too sauced up to butt out his dart and take the ice"

Don't mind chooch, he just can't resist sticking his ignorance in at any opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->