Message from Trevor Linden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
And yet, Linden still could not bring himself to apologize for his union's part in the cancellation of the season.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Resolute said:
And yet, Linden still could not bring himself to apologize for his union's part in the cancellation of the season.

He was almost as blamey as Goodenow at the cancellation of the season. If anything my respect for Linden after this letter has gone even lower... and it was not very high beforehand.

"The owners' lockout had a crippling effect on far too many people—on you, our loyal fans, and on those that rely on this sport for their livelihood."

The point considered most important is typically put last in a thesis. In other words, the people hurt worst, according to Linden, were the players. Also notice how often he will refer to the lockout as if the players had nothing to do with it. That was one.

"the players realized the sport could not afford to miss one more game."

No admission of having done anything wrong and pumping the players as having bridged the gap when in truth all they did was accept reality at long last.

" offering many concessions in our attempts to save the season from being cancelled by the owners."

There's two. All the effort was from the players, right Trevor?

"Being locked-out and unable to compete as NHL players was a frustrating situation, but it was made more difficult knowing that the fans were getting caught up in the negotiations rather than the excitement of the game."

There's three and roughly translated this means "it was very annoying to see how badly we got our butts kicked in the PR department."

Retire, already, Trevor. You were as big a problem in these negotiations as anyone.

Renholder

Racing like a pro
Jun 24, 2005
montreal
Give the guy a break. The lockout is over, it's senseless to put blame as both sides were equally responsible for the lockout . You know what? It's over now, let's all move on.

GSC2k2*

Renholder said:
Give the guy a break. The lockout is over, it's senseless to put blame as both sides were equally responsible for the lockout . You know what? It's over now, let's all move on.
Well, see, a lot of people DON'T think "both sides were equally to blame". some people want to see players own up to their responsibility. It STILL has not happened.

You, however, have the option to avoid the "Business of Hockey" portion of the HF Board.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Crazy_Ike said:
"The owners' lockout had a crippling effect on far too many people—on you, our loyal fans, and on those that rely on this sport for their livelihood."

The point considered most important is typically put last in a thesis. In other words, the people hurt worst, according to Linden, were the players.

I'm pretty sure he talks about the people who lost their jobs because of the lockout. Like people who worked at arena during hockey games.

SPARTAKUS*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Well, see, a lot of people DON'T think "both sides were equally to blame". some people want to see players own up to their responsibility. It STILL has not happened.

You, however, have the option to avoid the "Business of Hockey" portion of the HF Board.

As I recall last september the players were willing to play. It's the owners who said no hockey not the players. It was an owners' lockout it wasn't the players who locked themselves out for crying out loud. Congratz to Linden and the players.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Duff88 said:
I'm pretty sure he talks about the people who lost their jobs because of the lockout. Like people who worked at arena during hockey games.
I'm pretty sure guys like Crazy Ike will only see what they want to see.

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
What an incredibly insincere letter, much like the insincere letter from Bettman. I guess the PR gurus on both sides nonetheless felt it necessary that such letters to the fans be written. Now they have. For those fans who needed to hear such sentiments of regrets, now you have them. For the cynics, these letters don't change a thing, so no reason to get bent out of shape over the insincerity. Either way, what's done is done. Let's just move on and get ready for an actual season. That is, after all, what we've all been waiting for, no?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Hoss said:
I'm pretty sure guys like Crazy Ike will only see what they want to see.

I would want to see an apology.

I don't see one from Linden in that letter.

I don't think the players believe they should have to apologize, despite being mostly at fault for the lockout in the first place.

They have learned nothing.

SPARTAKUS*

anon said:
What an incredibly insincere letter, much like the insincere letter from Bettman. I guess the PR gurus on both sides nonetheless felt it necessary that such letters to the fans be written. Now they have. For those fans who needed to hear such sentiments of regrets, now you have them. For the cynics, these letters don't change a thing, so no reason to get bent out of shape over the insincerity. Either way, what's done is done. Let's just move on and get ready for an actual season. That is, after all, what we've all been waiting for, no?

You're right anon. It's not important to know who was wrong and who was right. What's important is that the NHL is back better and stronger than ever. Now we'll have players and owners working together for the first time in NHL history. And that's good, that's very good.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Gee, not one word of any sort of apology for a least being partly responsible for the whole mess with this past non-season. Just more of the same of we made all the concessions, blah, blah. Thanks Trevor- somehow this letter just doesn't cut it for me. I am glad there will be a season but spare me this generic form of a statement on how you were in the right and not really taking at least partial responsbility for the mess that happened- that I can do without.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Crazy_Ike said:
He was almost as blamey as Goodenow at the cancellation of the season. If anything my respect for Linden after this letter has gone even lower... and it was not very high beforehand.

The point considered most important is typically put last in a thesis. In other words, the people hurt worst, according to Linden, were the players. Also notice how often he will refer to the lockout as if the players had nothing to do with it. That was one.

"the players realized the sport could not afford to miss one more game."

No admission of having done anything wrong and pumping the players as having bridged the gap when in truth all they did was accept reality at long last.

" offering many concessions in our attempts to save the season from being cancelled by the owners."

There's two. All the effort was from the players, right Trevor?

"Being locked-out and unable to compete as NHL players was a frustrating situation, but it was made more difficult knowing that the fans were getting caught up in the negotiations rather than the excitement of the game."

There's three and roughly translated this means "it was very annoying to see how badly we got our butts kicked in the PR department."

Retire, already, Trevor. You were as big a problem in these negotiations as anyone.
wow - still ripping trev -

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
gscarpenter2002 said:
Well, see, a lot of people DON'T think "both sides were equally to blame". some people want to see players own up to their responsibility.

Yes, how angry some people must be at the players, who had the nerve to accept the salaries the owners paid them and then, I guess, locked themselves out.

MacDaddy TLC*

Look at the PA trying to shift all the blame to the owners and take credit for bringing the game back! Fact of the matter is the players just got themselves a great deal and I think it was solely due to the league and Gary Bettman. Once Goodenow was removed from the equation (he was only called back to the table when the deal was done) the league was able to get down to business. The players are now partners. This is in spite of the PA's money grabbing tactics.

GSC2k2*

NJD Jester said:
Yes, how angry some people must be at the players, who had the nerve to accept the salaries the owners paid them and then, I guess, locked themselves out.

Extorted, you mean, from the paying public who pays the salaries through rapidly escalating tickets, and the owners who put up the money.

Oh, and before you fire up the old "Who would not accept the salaries" blah blah, I can tell you that when I am negotiating deals I often take less than I could, in order to accomplish certain other matters. Any halfway experienced dealmaker will do so.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
NJD Jester said:

I don't blame the players for the financial state of the league. However I do blame them for the lockout which was about addressing that state. It took them a year to finally accept a solution that would work, most of which time they spent obstinately shouting solidarity from the rooftops and holding onto meaningless anachronistic ideals instead of working with what was the obvious solution. Since they were 100% the financial beneficiaries of the problems, surely it must have occurred to them that they were also going to be (and should be) 100% the target of the clawback?

Guys like Damphousse never got that.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
I don't blame the players for the financial state of the league. However I do blame them for the lockout which was about addressing that state. It took them a year to finally accept a solution that would work, most of which time they spent obstinately shouting solidarity from the rooftops and holding onto meaningless anachronistic ideals instead of working with what was the obvious solution. Since they were 100% the financial beneficiaries of the problems, surely it must have occurred to them that they were also going to be (and should be) 100% the target of the clawback?

Guys like Damphousse never got that.

Well, I must say, the letter is an improvement over a previous comment by Linden, who said if fans can't afford tickets, then "they can just take their kids to the park, instead."

'Cause the league is so successful you can afford to be flippant....

SPARTAKUS*

Alright guys could we move on please!!! Been there, done that, it's in the past now and thank God for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSC2k2*

OTTSENS said:
Alright guys could me move on please!!! Been there, done that, it's in the past now and thank God for that.
This is the Business of Hockey board guy. If you want to talk about which FA you should sign, take it to the boards for that. If you don't want to talk about lockout, its causes and fallout, feel free to post elsewhere.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
This is the Business of Hockey board guy. If you want to talk about which FA you should sign, take it to the boards for that. If you don't want to talk about lockout, its causes and fallout, feel free to post elsewhere.

Whether people like it or not, this lockout, and its fallout, will be discussed for a lot longer than a couple days after it ended.

The NHL and PA can't be smug about this, thinking there's no need to apologize, they don't owe the fans, etc etc etc.

Because they aren't even (with apologies to Modano's fans) the top dog in the NA sports market, and have a really difficult job ahead of them to win back the fans of 24 teams that don't happen to be located in Canada.

Neither side can afford not to look humble, even though I think the owners' actions were necessary for the survival of the league.

SPARTAKUS*

gscarpenter2002 said:

You want to talk about the lockout let's talk about the lockout. The owners are the only one responsible. Not the players. If the owners are to stupid the managed their team and make money without a cap how is that the players fault? Brian Burke said it the best when he said I had a cap fot the last five years in Vancouver is called a budget.

And that's last time I am talking lockout. I've been talking lockout for the last 10 months and I am sick of it.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
OTTSENS said:
You want to talk about the lockout let's talk about the lockout. The owners are the only one responsible. Not the players. If the owners are to stupid the managed their team and make money without a cap how is that the players fault? Brian Burke said it the best when he said I had a cap fot the last five years in Vancouver is called a budget.

Evidently, 90% of fans, 87% of players, and 100% of the owners don't agree with you, and some people got tired of teams getting stuffed with non-hockey revenue in order to drive up salaries, making it difficult for teams who wanted to stick to a budget to keep the players that could give them a shot.

I think the "budget" argument has pretty much been blown out of the water, since it only took a couple of owner, a couple of signings, and a couple of arbitration rulings to throw the whole system out of whack.

Just because we did it in Vancouver doesn't mean we don't wish we couldv'e spent the money to get a playoff goalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->